Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Thursday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Underground  >  Feedback/Support  >  Should we go back to posts without edit notices? (VOTE!) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Should we go back to posts without edit notices?  (Voting closed: June 08, 2008, 12:44 PM)
Yes. - 5 (45.5%)
No. - 6 (54.5%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Reply
Author

Should we go back to posts without edit notices? (VOTE!)

(Read 2315 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

It's on almost every Internet forum so it surely is a sensible question, should we automatically know when someone has edited their post by having a small bit of text at the end of it saying "Edited on <time> by <member>"?

We could have it so you can edit your post without anyone knowing for a couple of minutes after you posted but from then on it would leave a little stamp..

EDIT: We've had edit notices for a couple of weeks now so was it the right move? You are now voting on whether we should go back to having no edit notices...
[ Last edit by Mark June 05, 2008, 12:47 PM ] IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Edit notice? « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 10:21 PM »

I swear if you click 'edit' on a post you can see when it was last edited but that might be a mod/news team thing?

Don't really see the need for it tbh since most edits are probably just typos. However in an argument... Think
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Should we know when someone edits their post? « Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 10:30 PM »

Yeah but this is not about us seeing when we edited our own posts, it's about others seeing it.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Should we know when someone edits their post? « Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 08:43 AM »

Whats the need to change it?
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Should we know when someone edits their post? « Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 08:57 AM »

I guess that's why I created the topic, to see if there were any strong arguments for or against. The fact most Internet forums have it would suggest there must be some good reasons to have it. I don't really care either way but it's good that we all get a chance to vote on it I think Think

And bringing this up has given me a good idea for something else - I'm going to enable it regardless but if everyone votes no I will make it so it only shows if you edit your post after 10 days, the purpose of this is so me and the mods can track when people make changes to the front page and content. Before, I've had to change the forum theme to see who made a change which is annoying.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Should we know when someone edits their post? « Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 09:12 AM »

Ahh I see, well for that purpose it may be useful.  But I don't think it would make much of a difference on the rest of the forum.  And Julia brought up the arguements factor which again wouldn't make much of a difference I think.  People could probably guess if a comment has been edited.  And alot of people write "Edit: " at the bottom of posts too.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Should we know when someone edits their post? « Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 09:35 AM »

I believe there is another tennis forum where editing is not allowed.

That would certainly make sure that everyone thought about what they were going to write before they started - might even help to stop arguments.
Disabling of editing is out of the question - it's a basic and essential tool on any decent Internet forum.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Should we know when someone edits their post? « Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 10:19 AM »

I know you didn't but your last post suggests you would be in favour of its removal hence my reply.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Should we know when someone edits their post? « Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 10:53 AM »

I not bothered about this.
IP Logged
measdale
ATP Level

My life, currently

Re: Should we know when someone edits their post? « Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 11:10 AM »

I'd prefer not, personally, but it's no big deal.
Like Mark, I sometimes post too soon (either without finishing or without reviewing) so do almost immediate editing.

I know it doesn't particularly bear on the discussion, but I like the fact we have a moral code here, and people normally post "Edit:" if their change materially affects the contents of the post or is much later. And that we victimise each other (particularly Mark) for making sneaky changes to retract dodgy content.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Should we know when someone edits their post? « Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 11:19 AM »

I think the edit functionality is needed even more in todays world as most of us are fast typers and are used to IMing each other more than ever which probably is one of the reasons we often don't properly review our posts before submitting

Where this doesn't apply is for the oldies as they will not be fast typers and not IM any of their friends which means they will feel a forum post is more like an email and therefore naturally fully review their post before submission.
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

What was I drinking last night?

Re: Should we know when someone edits their post? « Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 11:42 AM »

I edit most of the time for typographical and grammatical reasons this may be due to my dyslexia or I'm just a lazy bugger who does not take the time to proof read before posting Smile

It is never done to change the meaning of the post and I would not be bothered if it was flagged up or not.

I have never found it to be an issue but have been chastised by Thomas for it recently so if the pensioner wants it changed then fine if it keeps her happy. :P  
IP Logged
measdale
ATP Level

My life, currently

Re: Should we know when someone edits their post? « Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 11:53 AM »

Where this doesn't apply is for the oldies as they will not be fast typers and not IM any of their friends which means they will feel a forum post is more like an email and therefore naturally fully review their post before submission.

old wotcher talking about, boy?
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Should we know when someone edits their post? « Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 11:57 AM »

I have never found it to be an issue but have been chastised by Thomas for it recently so if the pensioner wants it changed then fine if it keeps her happy. :P 
I say put her in a home! devil
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Should we know when someone edits their post? « Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 01:05 PM »

That is only your interpretation of what I said, not what I actually said.
Which is why I used the word "suggests" because you didn't explicitly say it but it was the obvious interpretation of what you said.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »