Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Underground  >  Feedback/Support  >  Questions & Updates 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 279 [280] 281 282 283 ... 366 Go Down Reply
Author

Questions & Updates

(Read 51199 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4185 on: February 05, 2013, 07:24 PM »

NOOOOO THE ARCADDDDEEEE! SPARE ITS LIFE OH MIGHTY MARK! :P
lol

others were posting pics so couldn't understand why I couldn't.
That is odd.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4186 on: February 05, 2013, 07:27 PM »

I was trying to do it from my phone or tablet, maybe the others were posting from PC? Don't know if that would make any difference.......
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4187 on: February 05, 2013, 07:53 PM »

It shouldn't have.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4188 on: February 06, 2013, 03:38 PM »

We have now moved across to the new provider. Welcome to New York Smile

Resources like CPU and RAM can now be increased and decreased in real-time. With our previous setup, it had to be done the night before with 10-15 minutes of downtime. Now it can be done in a middle of a big match if necessary.

Overall website speed has improved mainly due to me carefully reviewing the forum setup. And as I always say, there will be the occasional and unavoidable lag spike like with the previous server.

Please let me know if something doesn't work or you notice an issue because it's possible I may have forgotten to do something in the migration process.
[ Last edit by Mark February 06, 2013, 03:51 PM ] IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4189 on: February 06, 2013, 05:43 PM »

Well, doesn't matter how much I planned, I couldn't emulate traffic hitting the website.

The server ran into a problem with a process hanging which brought down the server. This caused downtime between 5:00-5:30. I hope you can understand this server has been recreated from scratch, almost everything is different.

I'm having this investigated now to prevent this happening again.
[ Last edit by Mark February 06, 2013, 05:48 PM ] IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4190 on: February 06, 2013, 06:26 PM »

It doesn't look any different. I expected new interfaces.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4191 on: February 06, 2013, 06:36 PM »

It doesn't look any different. I expected new interfaces.

I thought it was clear this was about changing servers rather than making cosmetic changes. Perhaps you are unaware of what that means so I'll try and explain.

A server is a piece of physical hardware that is the foundation of any website. A hosting provider is a company that owns these servers. A customer buys time on these servers. Servers can be on different infrastructures within a datacenter which lead to different services. 

We have changed server and hosting provider. The infrastructure is different to the degree that resource changing can be done in real-time. This means if there is a sudden burst of traffic which has not been accurately estimated beforehand, we can accommodate rather than put up with sluggishness and crashing.

Also, the server has much faster storage. As rather than running on your traditional harddrives that use spinning disks, the server is entirely on SSD. This means daily backups should be done much quicker and have less impact to the end user. I'm hoping none at all but have yet to test this.

This is what has been done.
[ Last edit by Mark February 06, 2013, 06:42 PM ] IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4192 on: February 06, 2013, 06:39 PM »

I thought it was clear this was about changing servers rather than making cosmetic changes. Perhaps you are unaware of what that means so I'll try and explain.

A server is a piece of physical hardware that is the foundation of any website. A hosting provider is a company that owns these servers. A customer buys time on these servers. Servers can be on different infrastructures within a datacenter which lead to different services. 

We have changed server and hosting provider. The infrastructure is different to the degree that resource changing can be done in real-time. This means if there is a sudden burst of traffic which has not been accurately estimated beforehand, we can accommodate rather than put up with sluggishness and crashing.

This server has much faster storage. As rather than running on your traditional harddrives that use spinning disks, the server is entirely on SSD. This means daily backups should be done quick and has much less impact to the end user. I'm hoping none at all but had yet to test this.

That's what been done.

Yeah I know Mark, sorry :P.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4193 on: February 06, 2013, 06:40 PM »

Were you being sarcastic with your previous comment about interfaces? I thought you might have been but then thought you just didn't understand the terminology.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4194 on: February 06, 2013, 06:42 PM »

Were you being sarcastic with your previous comment about interfaces? I thought you might have been but then thought you just didn't understand the terminology.

I was being a bit sarccy. But at first I expected it to be different, then I remembered what servers were. I was thinking of something completely different when I posted the interfaces comment.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4195 on: February 06, 2013, 06:44 PM »

You were thinking of changing forum software, right?

I actually attempted this in my testing but it turned out to be too much trouble for the benefits. The front end of this website is completely integrated into the forum software so upgrading from SMF1 to SMF 2 would be a very big operation for just a few additional features.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4196 on: February 06, 2013, 06:45 PM »

You were thinking of changing forum software, right?

I actually attempted this in my testing but it turned out to be too much trouble for the benefits. The front end of this website is completely integrated into the forum software so upgrading from SMF1 to SMF 2 would be a very big operation for just a few additional features.

Yeah thats it. Cheers Mark.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4197 on: February 06, 2013, 06:56 PM »

I'm not getting e mails to inform of posts mark since the forum was down at 5 pm
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4198 on: February 06, 2013, 07:02 PM »

Thanks for letting me know. There is a bit of code email providers check to see if an email is really from where it is saying it is from. This has been updated to reflect the new IP of the server. But it may take a while for email providers to see that change.

So until then, you may get emails going to spam or with some providers not being accepted at all.

Can you check your spam? And are we talking about Hotmail here?
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4199 on: February 06, 2013, 07:04 PM »

I'm not getting e mails to inform of posts mark since the forum was down at 5 pm

And I started getting emails! I think I've stopped them now by changing settings to receive no emails.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 279 [280] 281 282 283 ... 366 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »