Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Underground  >  Feedback/Support  >  Questions & Updates 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 281 [282] 283 284 285 ... 366 Go Down Reply
Author

Questions & Updates

(Read 59285 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4215 on: February 06, 2013, 10:21 PM »

Dediserve. They are finishing a big infrastructure change which is delivering very high disk I/O. It's not just because they are on SSD as standard, there's something else they've done which they are keeping as a trade secret.

I think generally with affordable cloud hosts you get around 60MB/s disk I/O. But with Dedi it seems 125MB/s is minimum.

In the case of this particular server, it is on their Fushion I/O platform which uses flash storage so I'm generally seeing around 300MB/s.

Also, if you create the server with CentOS 5.9 and below then you'll get real-time resource changing. CentOS 6 sadly ditched Xen support - politics.
[ Last edit by Mark February 06, 2013, 10:25 PM ] IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4216 on: February 06, 2013, 10:23 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up Mark.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4217 on: February 06, 2013, 10:31 PM »

Ah, now that explains why all my emails were suddenly in my junk mail box today - also hotmail. Do feel quite offended on our behalf how suspicious hotmail is about the emails, all red alerts and 'this looks highly suspicious'. They don't know what they're missing!
Gmail wins once again. I don't understand how anyone can stay with Hotmail when Gmail is far superior in every way.

Thanks for clearing that up Mark.
lol
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4218 on: February 06, 2013, 11:16 PM »

Gmail wins once again. I don't understand how anyone can stay with Hotmail when Gmail is far superior in every way.

Never crossed my mind to switch - what makes it better? And how easy is it to transfer contacts/ notify contacts of new address? Not that I'm saying I'm switching but having never thought of it, it's good to be open minded and weigh up the options.
[ Last edit by Mark February 06, 2013, 11:18 PM ] IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4219 on: February 06, 2013, 11:22 PM »

Organisation of emails seems a lot better than Hotmail, such as creating filters based on certain actions. And there are loads of little features that you start to notice as a user that Hotmail doesn't have. It just all adds up to making it a great experience.

Switching isn't a problem. I migrated my sister a while back. It has a feature that takes all your contacts over. In fact, I think it brings over all the emails as well. Then you can set your Hotmail account to forward to your Gmail.

I'd recommend you sign up, browse around and see what you think. Smile
[ Last edit by Mark February 06, 2013, 11:30 PM ] IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4220 on: February 06, 2013, 11:30 PM »

Dediserve. They are finishing a big infrastructure change which is delivering very high disk I/O. It's not just because they are on SSD as standard, there's something else they've done which they are keeping as a trade secret.

I think generally with affordable cloud hosts you get around 60MB/s disk I/O. But with Dedi it seems 125MB/s is minimum.

In the case of this particular server, it is on their Fushion I/O platform which uses flash storage so I'm generally seeing around 300MB/s.

Also, if you create the server with CentOS 5.9 and below then you'll get real-time resource changing. CentOS 6 sadly ditched Xen support - politics.

Thanks Mark.I'll take a peek. We were trying to get a cheap workaround on Rackspace but im not sure if that is possible. Speed is pretty much secondary to reliability for us but we need a reseller pack that is uber fast to create accounts.

Im always interested in whats out there so as I say I will have a look at what they have to offer.

Cheers again.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4221 on: February 06, 2013, 11:39 PM »

Dediserve don't have an SLA which might bother you if this is for a business. Apparently they don't believe in them due to loopholes being used by most competitors.

If you want absolutely rock solid reliability, then look to Storm on Demand. They are what I would call semi-cloud because they use local disk and resizing causes some downtime. But that aside they are great with everything else and industry leaders for managed support. And I would know - we were with them until today.

Good luck Smile
[ Last edit by Mark February 07, 2013, 10:51 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4222 on: February 07, 2013, 12:12 AM »

Organisation of emails seems a lot better than Hotmail, such as creating filters based on certain actions. And there are loads of little features that you start to notice as a user that Hotmail doesn't have. It just all adds up to making it a great experience.

Switching isn't a problem. I migrated my sister a while back. It has a feature that takes all your contacts over. In fact, I think it brings over all the emails as well. Then you can set your Hotmail account to forward to your Gmail.

I'd recommend you sign up, browse around and see what you think. Smile
thumb up  I switched from Hotmail to Gmail about three years ago and have never regretted it.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4223 on: February 07, 2013, 08:25 AM »

I thought it was clear this was about changing servers rather than making cosmetic changes. Perhaps you are unaware of what that means so I'll try and explain.

A server is a piece of physical hardware that is the foundation of any website. A hosting provider is a company that owns these servers. A customer buys time on these servers. Servers can be on different infrastructures within a datacenter which lead to different services. 

We have changed server and hosting provider. The infrastructure is different to the degree that resource changing can be done in real-time. This means if there is a sudden burst of traffic which has not been accurately estimated beforehand, we can accommodate rather than put up with sluggishness and crashing.

Also, the server has much faster storage. As rather than running on your traditional harddrives that use spinning disks, the server is entirely on SSD. This means daily backups should be done much quicker and have less impact to the end user. I'm hoping none at all but have yet to test this.

This is what has been done.

Didnt understand a word...is this in Chinese? That explains it.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4224 on: February 07, 2013, 03:56 PM »

Hi Mark ,all day I have been getting email alerts and they are coming through on my phone which is annoying with the beeping all the time. In all the years I have been on MW this has never happened before until today. Any idea how to stop them? I am with aol. Thanks
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4225 on: February 07, 2013, 04:01 PM »

I've disabled that in your profile now.

It seems some people have had their email preferences reset in the move. There were a few database changes and this might be glitch from it.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4226 on: February 07, 2013, 04:04 PM »

Thanks Mark, but before a read your reply I went to my profile and un ticked some boxes hope I have not  done the wrong thing!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4227 on: February 07, 2013, 04:39 PM »

Should be fine Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4228 on: February 07, 2013, 04:56 PM »

Probably a very minor thing, but three times in the last half hour I've got the following message when trying to open links to threads from Gmail -

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

They have worked OK though when I've tried again after a few minutes but I've never seen this message before.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Questions & Updates « Reply #4229 on: February 07, 2013, 04:59 PM »

Are you saying that it only happens when opening links from Gmail?

Can you try and note down the exact time when it happens again? Perhaps I can find something in the logs.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 281 [282] 283 284 285 ... 366 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »