Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Underground  >  Feedback/Support  >  Volume control problem - any ideas? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Volume control problem - any ideas?

(Read 491 times)
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Volume control problem - any ideas? « on: August 09, 2006, 11:28 PM »

The volume icon has disappeared from the task bar, and I can't get it back by going through the control panel etc. Also the mute and volume buttons on the side of my laptop are not working. I do seem to have sound working but don't seem to have any volume control. Although if there was supposed to be any sound on those Keira Knightley youtube videos in her thread, I didn't get any.
Any idea what my problem might be and how to fix it? I have tried reinstalling the sound driver off the "driver recovery" cd that came with the laptop, but no success.
Unfortunately I messed around with my registry the other day to fix another problem (and succeeded), so I fear this may be self inflicted. Surely it can be easily fixed though.
Have done a bit of googling and somebody suggests getting some file or something off the XP cd, so it's just a matter of finding that (if I even have one, as XP was pre-installed on the laptop) to try out that.

Edit: Have expanded the relevant file off my XP cd and no change. Tried a system restore and when my computer restarted it told me the system restore had failed.
Any ideas anyone?
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 August 10, 2006, 07:57 AM ] IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

Re: Volume control problem - any ideas? « Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 10:46 AM »

Sigh... I have no idea what you can do... I guess you already searched the whole computer looking for the volume buttons. As my computer is in Dutch, I can't help you with that either.
I hope you can work it out!
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Volume control problem - any ideas? « Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 11:41 AM »

In the meantime I have downloaded a free volume control application called "Audio Sliders." It's not great, but at least gives me some sort of volume control on my taskbar. Would really like to get those buttons on the front of the laptop back in action though.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Is Bush an "Idiot"? « Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 12:41 PM »

Check my thread in the help section for the full problem, but yes have reinstalled the sound drivers, both from the HP website, and from my "driver recovery CD," have also extracted some file from my XP cd which was suggested on microsoft online help. Also been onto HP online "active" chat and described my problem on Sunday. Alas I am still waiting for a response which was promised to me "within 1 business hour."
Other than reinstalling windows, I don't know what else I can try to sort this. Am hoping to find a less drastic solution first.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 August 17, 2006, 12:43 PM ] IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Is Bush an "Idiot"? « Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 12:48 PM »

Check my thread in the help section for the full problem, but yes have reinstalled the sound drivers, both from the HP website, and from my "driver recovery CD," have also extracted some file from my XP cd which was suggested on microsoft online help. Also been onto HP online "active" chat and described my problem on Sunday. Alas I am still waiting for a response which was promised to me "within 1 business hour."
Other than reinstalling windows, I don't know what else I can try to sort this. Am hoping to find a less drastic solution first.

Frown
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Is Bush an "Idiot"? « Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 12:49 PM »

Bugger lol. Thought you might be someone who could help.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Is Bush an "Idiot"? « Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 12:56 PM »

Only got one thing in mind other than reinstalling XP.

Rightclicking MyComputer > Hardware tab > Device Manager > Expand: Sound, video game controllers > if there are any yellow explanation marks next to something in that section then right click it and uninstall. This sort of thing usually helps when there is a soundcard driver conflict of some sort.

If you did have to unstall one of listed things then restart, if the sound still doesn't work then you reinstall the drivers at this point.

(I'll move these posts later)
[ Last edit by Mark August 17, 2006, 12:57 PM ] IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Is Bush an "Idiot"? « Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 12:59 PM »

Thanks. Checked and unfortunately no yellow explanation marks, and everything is apparently "working properly."
Weird. It's probably going to have to be an XP reinstall then.
It's strange. Sound works within itunes and real player etc, but not when something is played in the browser like youtube, and I can't get volume control on the task bar, and the audio and mute buttons on the front of my laptop won't work (brief summary of the problems).
(sorry for going so off topic in here)
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 August 17, 2006, 01:00 PM ] IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Is Bush an "Idiot"? « Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 01:01 PM »

Yeah, XP reinstall isn't that bad though if you tell it to leave your folders alone - just got to get those annoying XP updates.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Volume control problem - any ideas? « Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 01:04 PM »

Yeah we had to do a reinstall recently on my brother's computer which did fix a whole host of problems. So it's probably worth doing.
IP Logged
davew
ATP Level

Rofl, xbox 360 elite

Re: Volume control problem - any ideas? « Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 09:54 PM »

I have tried reinstalling the sound driver off the "driver recovery" cd that came with the laptop, but no success.
That's odd, when my computer did a similar thing a while ago, it was just a driver failure  Think
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Volume control problem - any ideas? « Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 05:07 AM »

Yeah that's what  can't understand. All the drivers and relevant software appear to be present, and the devices are apparantly "working properly." Except they are, well, not working.
And HP's "within 1 business hour" reply has been really helpful  ranting
IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

Re: Volume control problem - any ideas? « Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 10:28 AM »

And HP's "within 1 business hour" reply has been really helpful  ranting

roflmao Always helpful Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Volume control problem - any ideas? « Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 10:44 AM »

I think I shall get onto their online active chat again and thank them for the promptness of their reply, while telling them their suggestion of "do nothing" did not fix the problem. I shall politely ask for another suggestion.
IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

Re: Volume control problem - any ideas? « Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 10:46 AM »

Haha... I will never call something like that, you get off the phone with the worst feeling.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »