Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  'The turning point' by Judy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

'The turning point' by Judy

(Read 891 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

'The turning point' by Judy « on: December 14, 2005, 02:26 PM »

Source: Telegraph
The question I am asked more than any other is the age at which my son, Andy, first started playing tennis. It was two years old. But I hope that people do not think that he was pushed into the sport before he was even out of nappies. Far from it, Andy had a mini racket when he was two and loved to whack sponge balls and balloons around the house and garden with his brother Jamie, who is a year older.

I remember Andy's first racket very clearly. It was a 16-inch Slazenger bat with a gaudy metallic purple frame and multicoloured strings. He loved the racket because it was so colourful and he has kept it to this day.

When Andy was about five, he said that he wanted to "play a proper match in a proper competition". At that age he played double-handed shots on both sides, and could control the ball extremely well with both top-spin and slice, despite the fact that he could hardly see over the net and his racket was almost as big as him.

- Full Story (telegraph.co.uk)
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

'The turning point' by Judy « Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 10:00 PM »

notworthy I don't know how to put what I want to say about this article.  It is so unbelievably refreshing to hear from people like Judy Murray who are honest about the achievements of their offspring.  No wonder the Murray bros. are able to keep their feet on the ground.  I've said it before, but I'll say it again.... kids don't get to be as strong and determined as Andy and Jamie Murray without the input of loving, encouraging and grounded parents who are able to spot the potential in their children..   goodjob
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

'The turning point' by Judy « Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 10:02 PM »

notworthy Spot on there Elly!  goodjob

It's nice to hear what's going on from Judy once in a while. She akways delivers straight to the point and the truth.  =D>
Murray bros are very lucky to have a mum like her!
IP Logged
KitKat
Seed

'The turning point' by Judy « Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 04:39 PM »

I love reading what Judy writes about Andy it is so funny, like the abit about Andy 'tiring' out Gael Monfils when Jamie went on and beat him in the final.  roflmao you can just picture the wee Murray saying something like that.  Hope Judys keeping plenty of notes for writing Andys biography in 20 years time.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

'The turning point' by Judy « Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 08:49 PM »

"The event was significant in that it was character building. Each player was guaranteed three one-set matches and Andy lost his first two to much older players. In his final match, played without umpire or court supervisor, and on the furthest court away from the viewing area, he was 6-2 up in the tie-break and was on his way to the net to shake hands after his drop-shot had bounced three times on his opponent's side. His opponent ran forward, smashed the ball back in to the court and claimed the point. Nobody came to help resolve the situation and Andy did not win another point. He was distraught afterwards, but he learnt to stick up for himself after that and has done so ever since"

How mean?!?!?! Crying or Very sad
IP Logged
Amy
Challenger Level

'The turning point' by Judy « Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 10:04 AM »

Quote from: "KitKat"
I love reading what Judy writes about Andy it is so funny, like the abit about Andy 'tiring' out Gael Monfils when Jamie went on and beat him in the final.  roflmao you can just picture the wee Murray saying something like that.  Hope Judys keeping plenty of notes for writing Andys biography in 20 years time.

that's abit ambitious!!!
IP Logged
KitKat
Seed

'The turning point' by Judy « Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 10:35 AM »

She's probably written more than enough for a book already, I would read a book on any subject if Judy wrote it, her writing is easy reading and humourous, I could see her doing something like "Does my Bum Look Big in This?"
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »