Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray defeats Japanese dragon Ito 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray defeats Japanese dragon Ito

(Read 1795 times)
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Andy Murray defeats Japanese dragon Ito « Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 08:38 PM »

mmmmmmm. Had not thought of that lol!!!  I think I am missing him already NOT!!!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy Murray defeats Japanese dragon Ito « Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 08:41 PM »

I prefer Andrew Castle. He explains the effect that new balls has on the serve, each time they are introduced. He also explains the many various intricacies (when they switch sides, for example) of the tiebreak system, which is important as it is fairly new to tennis (introduced to Wimbledon in its current form in '79)
Oh Castle knows all about balls ... Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray defeats Japanese dragon Ito « Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 08:50 PM »

I prefer Andrew Castle. He explains the effect that new balls has on the serve, each time they are introduced. He also explains the many various intricacies (when they switch sides, for example) of the tiebreak system, which is important as it is fairly new to tennis (introduced to Wimbledon in its current form in '79)

lmao

Yes, a comfortable win for Andy but both Maresmo and Courier said that Andy must play more aggressively on the forehand side from the start of a slam, if he is to have any chance of beating top 3. Thus it becomes easier. I agree.
Hope Lendl sorts it.

IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray defeats Japanese dragon Ito « Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 09:02 PM »

Great start for Andy today, just finished watching it on ITV4, loved Jim Courier commentating, the best yet to me anyway, loved how he explained, for us who don't hold a tennis raquest every day that when playing a forehand shot that Andy holds it like as if he was going to shake hands and how Nadal hold it like a frying pan, also loved all the positve comments towards Andy from him during the whole match, so bloody refreshing!! Will watch the rest of the tournament on ITV4 now and give Sky a miss, as I want to listen to Jim commentating, just brilliant!
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Andy Murray defeats Japanese dragon Ito « Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 09:43 PM »

I wish they'd do Wimbledon as well!

Courier in particular is great the way he doesn't automatically assume that viewers know everything about tennis and is happy to explain things.  I knew nothing at all about the difference between Andy and Rafa's grips, or how that difference affected their game, until today.
Me too. Refreshingly different and a good match for Andy. Good report, Hazel many thanks. Let's hope Andy continues with  aggression!
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy Murray defeats Japanese dragon Ito « Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 10:57 PM »

Great start for Andy today, just finished watching it on ITV4, loved Jim Courier commentating, the best yet to me anyway, loved how he explained, for us who don't hold a tennis raquest every day that when playing a forehand shot that Andy holds it like as if he was going to shake hands and how Nadal hold it like a frying pan, also loved all the positve comments towards Andy from him during the whole match, so bloody refreshing!!

Its interesting what Courier said about Andy's grip in that it makes it difficult for him to hit the forehand down the line. As he says everyone knows Andy is going to hit his forehand cross court nearly all the time. So his opponents have an edge in that they only have to cover half the court. This edge isn't enough most of the time but when he plays the likes of Fed, Joker and Nadal its a  key weakness. Can Andy do anything about this. I'm sure if it was simple he would have done something about it by now.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray defeats Japanese dragon Ito « Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 06:30 AM »

I thought that was very interesting too BigNose. Presumably it's more difficult for Andy to alter his grip on the forehand at this stage of his tennis life? 
Love ITV commentary, it rocks Smile
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy Murray defeats Japanese dragon Ito « Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 09:26 AM »

Thanks for really informative match report, having missed the match it gave me a good feel.  Had hoped to watch on eurotrash highlights when I got in but they featured Heather,  who was v impressive I must say.  Am hoping ITV featured on their late night highlights, which I've recorded.  From the bit I watched on Sunday totally agree with those welcoming the ITV coverage.  But noone has mentioned the lovely magician Santoro yet - so nice to see him on the ITV team. [And just watched the discussion between Inverdale, Petchey and Courier at start today - SO refreshing that they were critical of the way the media treat Andy and sympathetic towards his reaction to that. Didn't use to like Courier and thought his post-match interviews at AO were awful but beginning to revise my opinion, as he's coming across as thoughtful and balanced as a commentator I think.]
Yes I imagine changing a grip might be quite difficult at this stage though he does seem to have improved his FH dtl in recent months so perhaps there has been a subtle shift???
[ Last edit by Ruthie May 30, 2012, 09:50 AM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray defeats Japanese dragon Ito « Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 10:12 AM »

Bet Delboy has "pancake grip.....Wink how he smacks those forehands.
Years and years ago we were all taught "shake hands" grip. I wonder what youngsters today are taught. Grabcopy/Allan  would know?
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Murray defeats Japanese dragon Ito « Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 02:15 PM »

Bet Delboy has "pancake grip.....Wink how he smacks those forehands.
Years and years ago we were all taught "shake hands" grip. I wonder what youngsters today are taught. Grabcopy/Allan  would know?
I'm not too sure actually. lol I think it ultimately is down to the preferance of the coach/player.
IP Logged
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: Murray defeats Japanese dragon Ito « Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 02:40 PM »

Murray is so far off the radar for this tournament.  I just hope he is nice and fit and positive by the time we get to London, where he has much greater chances.

Having said that, he could surprise us all here, but Gasquet is looking good again and I have my doubts Andy on current form can beat him, notwithstanding his five-set dominance over the frenchman so far.
IP Logged
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: Murray defeats Japanese dragon Ito « Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 02:41 PM »

ITV coverage is no worse than euroshite IMO, and actually better than I expected thus far.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray defeats Japanese dragon Ito « Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 03:09 PM »

ITV coverage is no worse than euroshite IMO, and actually better than I expected thus far.
Darn sight better I'd say but then euroshite hardly sets the bar does it  Whistle
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Murray defeats Japanese dragon Ito « Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 03:11 PM »

Tuned into the tennis on ITV4 for the first time this morning and what a breath of fresh air.  clap  clap clap What a difference from the usual comms; your right Ruthie the comments about the media and Andy weere spot on.  I am looking forward to Andy's next match as I always felt wound up after listening to other comms it will be interesting to see if I feel the same way after viewing ITV4. Pity they can't do all the tennis.........something to consider ITV? Think
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Murray defeats Japanese dragon Ito « Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 03:47 PM »

Is there a more French sounding person on the planet than Santoro?  Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »