Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray honoured with OBE at the Palace 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Reply
Author

Murray honoured with OBE at the Palace

(Read 2666 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray honoured with OBE at the Palace « Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 04:49 PM »

^That's a good idea posting the family pic, Elena. So much of our prior congratulationary comments, info and pics on this proud moment are buried in other threads.

Thanks for this thread, Nigel.

Andy hit our news here in Canada, and it's funny when my friends and family here ask if I knew about Andy getting his OBE. Very Happy They like to give me the 'news' about Andy because they know how many years I've supported him, and now they love to share any snippets with me.

A beautiful proud, shared family moment. And I'm glad it was Prince William who did the honours. No offence to QE, but it's a changing of the guard and a breath of fresh air to see these two young men respect and exchange humour with each other during what is usually a stuffy traditional ceremony.

Our boy did good.

IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray honoured with OBE at the Palace « Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 08:13 PM »

I was speaking to an ex-colleague of mine yesterday and she has a friend that was at the palace when Andy was  there. This friend said so many of the award recipients were asking Andy for a photo. She said he was so obliging and everyone seemed really thrilled to meet him. Who needs a Prince when you have the King of British tennis?
I noticed a lot of excited people in some of the general clips they showed outside the palace, and I can't say I blame them.  I know some people think it's wrong that rich celebs get awards, but those people generally forget that non-famous charity workers and carers etc also get awards, and it adds to their big day that they are getting rewarded along-side high profile recipients.

On that note, I thought it was a nice touch that Andy spoke of how nice it was for him to meet the other recipients.  Andy is mainly sport obsessed, but I think he has particular admiration for anyone who has dedicated their time to achieving something.  There were plenty of those on Thursday.

lol  It says a lot for Prince William's down-to-earthness that Andy felt he could tease him about his handwriting.  It probably made HRH feel more relaxed too given it was his first investiture.  Shame that the drug testers couldn't at least have given him a little leeway on this occasion, although it's possible Andy may just have said that he had an appointment, but not where!
Ha!  There were a few people (on the Daily Mail comments section, so to be expected) who complained that it was dis-respectful.  On the contrary, I think it was brilliant that Andy felt he could have a sensible conversation with William.  Clearly, Andy's not your typical recipient, and he's never been particularly deferential (which is a good thing IMO), but I also think it's no surprise that William smiled when Andy's name was read out.  It would have been a bit of light relief for him to have someone he could have an easy conversation with.

Andy hit our news here in Canada, and it's funny when my friends and family here ask if I knew about Andy getting his OBE. Very Happy They like to give me the 'news' about Andy because they know how many years I've supported him, and now they love to share any snippets with me.
Nice to know, thanks.

I see there was a clip on CBS too.  You have to ignore the deliberate mistake. Whistle

http://themacwire.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/prince-william-hosts-investiture-honors.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_content=Entertainment+
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray honoured with OBE at the Palace « Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 09:11 PM »

Thanks for the article Nigel. Just adding a family pic before they all get lost in the Pictures thread!

Why's he so tall? Looking at the genetics, where does it come from?
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray honoured with OBE at the Palace « Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 10:24 PM »

Jamie's tall too - must be tall genes in the family somewhere!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Murray honoured with OBE at the Palace « Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 10:30 PM »

Youngsters are generally just taller these days. Its the porridge his granny used to feed him.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Murray honoured with OBE at the Palace « Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 10:35 PM »

Why's he so tall? Looking at the genetics, where does it come from?

His maternal grandfather looks pretty tall.
IP Logged
Estella
Re: Murray honoured with OBE at the Palace « Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 04:31 PM »

Andy's going to be at Waterstones, Piccadilly in London at 4pm signing copies of his new book on the 6th of next month.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »