Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday night, Est. time - 1:30am BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Birthday Boy Murray fights past Nalbandian 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Reply
Author

Birthday Boy Murray fights past Nalbandian

(Read 1607 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Birthday Boy Andy Murray fights past nifty Nalbandian « Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 08:50 PM »

Just got in.. missed the whole match, so thanks Hazel for the very good report. Sounds like there were some nail-biting moments, but good to hear Andy raised his game when it counted.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Birthday Boy Andy Murray fights past nifty Nalbandian « Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 09:00 PM »

Watched it from start to finish. Andy's BH started firing towards the end which what got him the win, Nalby played some inspired tennis and nearly dropshotted Andy into submission. The angles the Argentine was able to create was unreal.

Andy really had to dig deep get the W and though was fortunate to get the lucky net cord to break for 6-5 in the 3rd, I think Andy totally deserved to go through tonight.

If you look at all of Andy's slam progressions in the last 18 months, there is always a tricky match in the earlier rounds (Wawrinka Wimby '09, Isner AO '10, Lubicic Wimby '11, Hasse USO '11 and Harrison AO '12 being examples). Once he got through those matches, it eases him and he is able to get a lot of confidence to charge through to the latter stages. The top 3 has done pretty much the same, that's why they can get through to finals on a consistent basis to keep themselves in contention.

Andy did a lot of growing up tonight, he knuckled down towards the end and got job done when it really mattered.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Birthday Boy Andy Murray fights past nifty Nalbandian « Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 10:38 PM »

Excellent report, HazyBear. Lengthy but not boring. You captured totally the essence of the match. Very well written.

My tv gave out just as Andy was about to serve for the match, so I was terribly nervous reaching for my computer to discover the result. Thank goodness all was well.

A nice birthday present for you, Andy. Happy birthday.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Birthday Boy Murray fights past Nalbandian « Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 11:36 PM »

As I couldn't watch it really appreciative of such a detailed report which gives real flavour of match. Sounds like a good W but just hope didn't take too much toll on his back. Well done our birthday boy.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Birthday Boy Murray fights past Nalbandian « Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 12:16 AM »

Just got in.. missed the whole match, so thanks Hazel for the very good report. Sounds like there were some nail-biting moments, but good to hear Andy raised his game when it counted.
Indeed!  Like when he was 3-1 down in the 3rd and I'm sitting watching in a pub, but was so engrossed I forgot where I was, and shouted "FFS Andy - get your b***** finger out!!". blush  Fortunately, he did, but a member of staff commented that she didn't know tennis could be that exciting! Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Birthday Boy Murray fights past Nalbandian « Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 12:32 AM »

Great report Hazel, you caught the mood of the match exactly.  Well done Andy, you did look exhausted at the end of the match buty that's what happens when you get older.  Hope you had a great birthday.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Birthday Boy Murray fights past Nalbandian « Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 01:24 AM »

Excellent.  Who's he got next and what time etc?  Thanks
IP Logged
lgriev10
Satellite Level

Re: Birthday Boy Murray fights past Nalbandian « Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 01:25 AM »

Great match! I just watched it on the catch up service Tennis TV now has and I am so happy I did.  Wonderful imaginative tennis from Nalbandian and a really good response from Andy.  Took the 3rd set when he remembered that you can go down the line with your backhand, not just cross court.  Looking forward to a good match against Gasquet.  Ah it's good to have Andy back.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Birthday Boy Murray fights past Nalbandian « Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 01:27 AM »

Excellent.  Who's he got next and what time etc?  Thanks
Gasquet on Thursday, so we don't know the time yet.

EDIT - Sorry, wrong info!  The winner of Gasquet vs Italian wildcare Paolo Lorenzi.
[ Last edit by Aileen May 16, 2012, 02:39 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Birthday Boy Murray fights past Nalbandian « Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 01:37 AM »

Gasquet on Thursday, so we don't know the time yet.

Gasquet or Lorenzi, unless you know something different Aileen Eyebrow raise.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Birthday Boy Murray fights past Nalbandian « Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 03:02 AM »

Great match! I just watched it on the catch up service Tennis TV now has and I am so happy I did.  Wonderful imaginative tennis from Nalbandian and a really good response from Andy.  Took the 3rd set when he remembered that you can go down the line with your backhand, not just cross court.  Looking forward to a good match against Gasquet.  Ah it's good to have Andy back.
That catch-up is great.  I watched the match in a pub (out of necessity, I may say!) but half the time I couldn't see the ball.  Just watched the 3rd set again and was able to appreciate how good the standard of tennis was and how well Andy managed to dig himself out of trouble.  Just hope that when he clutched his back at one point after stretching for the ball that he hasn't reignited the injury that kept him out of Madrid. nervous

Gasquet or Lorenzi, unless you know something different Aileen Eyebrow raise.
Had just corrected that before I saw your post.  I picked up the wrong info from Igriev10, who presumably has a crystal ball. Smile
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Birthday Boy Murray fights past Nalbandian « Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 05:09 AM »

Thanks, Aileen.  I hadn't realized there would be any days off for this tournament.  Will stop searching around and wait for the new thread.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Birthday Boy Murray fights past Nalbandian « Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 10:50 AM »

Had just corrected that before I saw your post.  I picked up the wrong info from Igriev10, who presumably has a crystal ball. Smile

Very Happy Hopefully they will share it around with us all then. And if anyone has a wand and some faery dust too......... lol
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Birthday Boy Murray fights past Nalbandian « Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 06:22 PM »

At least it's a better crystal ball than the one Boogers has. Rolling Eyes

Gasquet it is.  He beat Lorenzi comfortably in straights.  I think he was expected to be the winner anyway, hence the assumptions.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »