Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Brave Murray falls to mighty Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Brave Murray falls to mighty Federer

(Read 842 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Brave Murray falls to mighty Federer « on: October 02, 2005, 10:41 AM »

Andy Murray lost his first ATP final today after putting in a brave performance against world no1 Roger Federer at the Thailand Open. The 18-year-old made Federer work hard for his victory after Murray frequently delivered some blistering shots and at many times made Federer look ordinary.

The Scot lost the first set 6-3 but it appeared he was nervous and at times pushed too hard against his mighty opponent. However in the second set Murray managed to settle, taking the set to 5-5 but Federer broke his serve and eventually grabbed the set winning the Thailand Open, his 11th title of 2005, 6-3 7-5.

Andy Murray only broke into the top 100 a few days ago but after reaching his first ATP final, he is now likely to be ranked no68 in the world at the same age when Federer reached no64.

MurraysWorld reporter, Kundalini said:
Roger Federer is a better player than Andy right now and he won the match fairly comfortably. But there were some interesting pointers for the future. Could Andy win points rather than relying on Federer's errors? Did Andy have any weapons that could hurt Federer?

For most of the summer Andy has focused upon keeping the ball in play, making sure his unforced error count is low, and only taking the initiative when in trouble. This strategy was never likely to work against Roger Federer and indeed on those points where Andy missed his first serve or played tentative tennis, Roger's attacking groundstrokes were just too much.

Read Kundalini's full analysis here.

Post-match Audio:
- BBC Report: Alistair Eykyn

Related:
- MW Gallery: Thailand Open (12 new)
- Thailand Open: Main Singles Draw
- Official Thailand Open Website
IP Logged
kundalini

Brave Murray falls to mighty Federer « Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 04:16 PM »

Match Analysis:

Against the very best it's a question of winning the point before they do.

Roger Federer is a better player than Andy right now and he won the match fairly comfortably. But there were some interesting pointers for the future. Could Andy win points rather than relying on Federer's errors? Did Andy have any weapons that could hurt Federer?

For most of the summer Andy has focused upon keeping the ball in play, making sure his unforced error count is low, and only taking the initiative when in trouble. This strategy was never likely to work against Roger Federer and indeed on those points where Andy missed his first serve or played tentative tennis, Roger's attacking groundstrokes were just too much.

But when Andy got his first serve in play he looked competitive at this level. He won numerous cheap points with unreturnable serves and was prepared to go for a winner whenever he received a short return. In fact, whenever Andy turned up the pace, striking fierce forehands deep across court or double-handed backhands down the line, Federer struggled.

For short spells Andy played superb tennis. Coming to the net to finish points, he hit some gorgeous angled volleys. He took on shots that he would normally avoid, and there were the usual trademark Murray shots like a glorious crosscourt pass that flew past Federer as he approached the net.

The potential to trouble Federer was there, just that the error count on low percentage shots was too high for Andy to be a match for Roger at this stage. In a couple of years' time it might be a very interesting contest, though Andy has a lot of work to do on his game in the intervening period.

In simple terms his second serve needs improvement: better direction - deeper and into the corners, more pace, more variety. His first serve needs to more reliable and he needs a lot of practice at playing attacking tennis.

As for the match, disappointingly, Andy made a poor start to both sets. He reached 40-15 on his opening service game then wasted 3 game point chances before surrendering his serve, as a series of second serves were punished. After that his standard of play was quite high, and in the second set he did recover the break. A tiebreak looked on the cards until a patchy service game gave Roger the chance to serve for the match. Andy responded to reach break point but couldn't force the break and a couple of serves later the match was over.

It was a good test for Andy and despite defeat he should leave Bangkok thinking, if he works hard, he has got a chance to compete at the highest level.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Brave Murray falls to mighty Federer « Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 06:24 PM »

Now, I may sound a bit off the wall here, but I have had such an instinctive feeling that our Mr. Murray is destined for greatness from the first time I saw him play.  However, I wondered if it was just wishful thinking to begin with.  But, after studying his progress from Queens to date, I firmly believe that Andy will emerge as one of the best.  Will he be as good as Federer?.... I'll stick my neck out and say I think he won't be far off it.  I believe that Federer recognises the signs of greatness in Andy - as has been said he probably sees his younger self in Andy.  I think these two possess an aura that none of the other players do - not even Hewitt or Nadal - sure they play fantastic tennis...... but they don't have the charisma that belong only to the chosen few.

I have no doubt that if Andy follows the right path, he will achieve the results that he's destined for.
 Very Happy
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Brave Murray falls to mighty Federer « Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 09:03 PM »

I get that feeling as well Smile
IP Logged
Riverman
Veteran

Hello

Re: Brave Murray falls to mighty Federer « Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 10:13 PM »

Who of us on here doesn't?

I like this though:

Quote from: "Mark"
Andy Murray only broke into the top 100 a few days ago but after reaching his first ATP final, he is now likely to be ranked no68 in the world at the same age when Federer reached no64.

Very Happy
IP Logged
thread18
Latest version « Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 06:25 PM »

I think that installing the latest version might help and do not forget to do its updates.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Latest version « Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 06:28 PM »

Quote from: "thread18"
I think that installing the latest version might help and do not forget to do its updates.
wthell and  welcome
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »