Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Comfortable Murray through to third round 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Comfortable Murray through to third round

(Read 1751 times)
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Comfortable Murray through to third round « on: April 24, 2012, 04:07 PM »

Andy Murray came away with a comfortable 6-3 6-2 win from his match with Sergiy Stakhovsky in the 2nd round in Barcelona.

The match was a solid one from Andy, although not one that set the court alight. After offering Stakhovsky a break point in the opening service game, he followed up by holding to love in the next and putting pressure on the Stakhovsky serve. A couple of missed 1st serves from the Ukrainian let Murray into the game and a double fault handed him the only break necessary in the first set.

Despite going down a break, Stakhovsky raised his intensity and showed off his speed and movement around the court. Repeatedly he landed drop shot after drop shot, forcing Andy to run the length of the court to return it, only to have it pushed long down the line.

Murray however, was looking much more comfortable on the clay. In what was obviously a deliberate move Andy played (for the most part) further up the court, standing closer to the baseline. It was here that the main difference could be seen in how Murray is approaching the clay in Barcelona as opposed to Monte Carlo.

Read more (189 words)
Murray took the first set after 42 minutes of play, despite a 1st serve percentage of 50%. He made that first serve count though, winning the majority points and keeping Stakhovsky comfortably at bay.

The second set opened in much the same way that the first had, with drop shots from Stakhovsky and running from Murray. Both players held serve and the set looked like it could see a few back to back service games when Stakhovsky’s game fell apart. 4 unforced errors in a row; finished off by a horrible miss-hit, handed Andy the break to lead 2-1.

The following service game from Andy consolidated the break and featured both his 1st and 2nd aces of the match. Stakhovsky’s earlier aggressiveness and intensity all but vanished and a passive service game from him gave Andy another break to lead 4-1.

Andy raced through his service game for 5-1, and then Stakhovsky fought and held serve for 5-2. Andy served for the match, and despite going down 0-30 he held serve to win the match 6-3 6-2.

Andy Murray will next play Hasse or Giraldo in the 3rd round.
[ Last edit by Mark April 24, 2012, 05:35 PM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Comfortable Murray through to 3rd Round « Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 04:16 PM »

yay Hazy's 1st report!

And I'd say a fair one.

Right, I can go back to bed now yawn wave
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Comfortable Murray through to 3rd Round « Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 04:18 PM »

yay Hazy's 1st report!

And I'd say a fair one.

Right, I can go back to bed now yawn wave

hug Night you mad woman!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Comfortable Murray through to 3rd Round « Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 04:19 PM »

Well done Haze.  clap
Nice and easy for Andy today yay
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Comfortable Murray through to 3rd Round « Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 04:19 PM »

Great, well done Andy solid start?  yay
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Comfortable Murray through to 3rd Round « Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 04:19 PM »

Good report Hazel Smile Apart from Andy's lack of first serves getting in, in the 2nd set I found myself shouting at the screen Whistle stop going back from the baseline Andy  Rolling Eyes Noticed that he wasn't muttering to himself, maybe Lendl had a word pray
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Comfortable Murray through to third round « Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 04:39 PM »

Nice first report, HB. I like your style.

Andy well done, but get your 1st serve %ages up
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Comfortable Murray through to third round « Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 04:57 PM »

Excellent penmanship and an easy match for Andy. Well done Hazel and Andy!
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Comfortable Murray through to third round « Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 05:07 PM »

Thanks Hazel. Missed most of the match but it sounds not too nerve-wracking!

As I (try to) understand it, Andy has to reach the final to gain any ranking points - anything less will go to his non-countables. So he's not gaining on Fed yet, but hopefully will get some useful match practice in.

I could be wrong though!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Comfortable Murray through to third round « Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 05:13 PM »

Thanks for the match report Hazel - a good one for someone who didn't see the match.  Hope you'll be doing lots of them in future!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Comfortable Murray through to third round « Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 05:15 PM »

Hazybear @ 4.07pm...... clap
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Comfortable Murray through to third round « Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 05:25 PM »

It felt as if it was over in the blink of an eye.  At least he can save himself for tougher matches ahead.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Comfortable Murray through to third round « Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 05:28 PM »

Well written report and an easy win which  will have settled Andy into the tournament. He'll hopefully have his doubles before his next singles. yay yay yay
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Comfortable Murray through to third round « Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 05:34 PM »

Well written report and an easy win which  will have settled Andy into the tournament. He'll hopefully have his doubles before his next singles. yay yay yay

Doubles scheduled for tomorrow - following another doubles match starting at 1pm local time.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Comfortable Murray through to third round « Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 06:54 PM »

My my my, loving your 1st report  Haze.hug
[ Last edit by robbie April 24, 2012, 07:14 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »