Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Comfortable Murray through to third round 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Comfortable Murray through to third round  (Read 1668 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Comfortable Murray through to third round « Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 07:56 PM »

Thanks to major computer problems I didn't even know Andy was playing today! Rolling Eyes  Luckily I found out in time to watch the end of the second set.

Very good report Hazel and one that really gave me a flavour of what the match was like.  Keep it up. Smile

My one concern from what I did see was Andy's faltering performance when trying to serve out the match - something he often seems to be unable to do these days.  Double-faulting and going 0-30 down isn't something he wants to be doing against the top players.

After last year's USO, I'm rather hoping it isn't Haase next. nervous
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Comfortable Murray through to third round « Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 08:04 PM »

Great report, very informative, was at work so unable to watch live stream.  So very grateful for your report, early days for Andy, onwards and upwards. 
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Comfortable Murray through to third round « Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 08:29 PM »

Great report factual and not an opinion. I couldn't watch either because of work. Sounds like Andy played well enough to get the job done which is all it  needs at this stage. Thanks for great report hazel and well done Andy good luck tomorrow.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Comfortable Murray through to third round « Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 08:38 PM »

Hazel... much better job than boogers and fillermark.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Comfortable Murray through to third round « Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 09:53 PM »

Thanks Hazel. Missed most of the match but it sounds not too nerve-wracking!

As I (try to) understand it, Andy has to reach the final to gain any ranking points - anything less will go to his non-countables. So he's not gaining on Fed yet, but hopefully will get some useful match practice in.

I could be wrong though!
Really? I thought it was top 4 500's? Monte Carlo sometimes going under that category depending on how well they do, but I forget the specifics there.

Even so, I can only think of Dubai and Tokyo? Didn't play Hamburg, Washington, Basel (withdrew) or Valencia, Rotterdam or Memphis.

This will be his 3rd 500 and then Monte Carlo will count as the 4th I think.

Edit: Just been researching this using Wiki and it is very bloody confusing (and ridiculously harsh). I didn't realise only two 250's are counted.  confused Andy currently holds 3 250 titles but I could've sworn all of them had their points added on.

Anyway going back to the 500's:

Once a player is accepted in the main draw of a Grand Slam or ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament,[7] his result in this tournament counts for his ranking, regardless of whether he participates. A player's withdrawal from an ATP World Tour 500 event, regardless of whether the withdrawal was on time, results in a zero point included as one of his best of four results. Further non-consecutive withdrawals results in a zero point allocation replacing the next best positive result for each additional withdrawal.[1]

So by that I think it will include Basel. And MC does count. So Tokyo where he won is the last 500. I don't understand it all. It's a bloody stupid system, I don't understand why they don't just keep it a bit more simple.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter April 24, 2012, 09:59 PM ] IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Comfortable Murray through to third round « Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 11:01 PM »

TMH - yes it is confusing, and I'm trying to understand how it works.

ATP website  - Ranking FAQ - says
"In November 2011, the ATP Board passed a rule to allow more flexibility in which tournaments count toward the ranking of a commitment player in 2012.
Commitment players (top 30 in 2011 year-end ranking) can count their best six (6) results from ATP World Tour 500, ATP World Tour 250 and other events (Challengers, Futures, Davis Cup, Olympics) toward their ranking. To count their best six (6), players must have fulfilled their commitment to 500 events - 4 total per year (at least 1 after the US Open)".

Andy already has 6 tournaments counted: Tokyo, Dubai, Brisbane, Bangkok, Queens and Monte Carlo, so he needs to earn more points than the lowest of those (180 at MC) to replace it.....if I've got that right!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Comfortable Murray through to third round « Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 11:43 PM »

^ Sorry.. don't understand a word of what you're talking about.
Where's Philip?... He's so good at this stuff.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Comfortable Murray through to third round « Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 12:27 AM »

TMH - yes it is confusing, and I'm trying to understand how it works.

ATP website  - Ranking FAQ - says
"In November 2011, the ATP Board passed a rule to allow more flexibility in which tournaments count toward the ranking of a commitment player in 2012.
Commitment players (top 30 in 2011 year-end ranking) can count their best six (6) results from ATP World Tour 500, ATP World Tour 250 and other events (Challengers, Futures, Davis Cup, Olympics) toward their ranking. To count their best six (6), players must have fulfilled their commitment to 500 events - 4 total per year (at least 1 after the US Open)".

Andy already has 6 tournaments counted: Tokyo, Dubai, Brisbane, Bangkok, Queens and Monte Carlo, so he needs to earn more points than the lowest of those (180 at MC) to replace it.....if I've got that right!
Ah I'm with you. That makes it a lot easier to understand. Wiki needs updating. Very Happy

Thanks for clarifying.

In that case he's not going to gain much, if at all in rankings terms unless he wins the thing.

It's all about the Masters and the Slams for the top guys and that's where Andy's falling behind Rafa and Federer. If he wants to overtake them in the rankings he's going to need to reach a final, at least, in a Slam (obviously with consistent performances in the other Slams and Masters).

If only he hadn't gone out in R2 in IW.. Oh well.

Winning a Slam is more important to me (and Andy too, I'm sure) than the difference in #3 and #4 in the rankings. Although obviously winning a Slam would sort that all out anyway!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Comfortable Murray through to third round « Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 12:31 AM »

^ Sorry.. don't understand a word of what you're talking about.
Where's Philip?... He's so good at this stuff.
Basically the ranking system is bloody complicated, as it only takes into account so many tournaments that each player has played in, to prevent them from just playing in two dozen "small" tournaments I think.

Wiki:

A player's ATP Ranking is based on the total points he accrued in the following 19 tournaments (18 if he did not qualify for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals):

- The four Grand Slam tournaments
- The eight mandatory ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournaments,[2]
- The previous Barclays ATP World Tour Finals count until the Monday following the final regular-season ATP event of the following year.[3]
- The best four results from all ATP World Tour 500 tournaments played in the calendar year[4]
- The best two results from all ATP World Tour 250, ATP Challenger Tour, and Futures Series tournaments count.

*Monte Carlo comes under the 500 category as it is not mandatory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATP_Rankings

(But as Elena posted above, it's 6 of the best 500 and 250's now, rather than having them seperated)

Hope this makes at least some sense. I'd ignore the rest of the article as it's just bloody confusing.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Comfortable Murray through to third round « Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 12:44 AM »

Hazel... much better job than boogers and fillermark.
I agree.  Clear and simple.  Not everyone on MW is 100% au fait with the finer technicalities of the game!  And no smarty-pants heading either.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Comfortable Murray through to third round « Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 05:51 AM »

Thanks Hazel, very professional.  Well done, Andy!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Comfortable Murray through to third round « Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 12:24 PM »

Should be too long before Andy's next opponent is known - they are up on the livescores scoreboard.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

You mesmerize me, Andy

Re: Comfortable Murray through to third round « Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 04:18 PM »

yay......i really hopes he wins this tournament.....its gonna b quite difficult!!
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Comfortable Murray through to third round « Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 07:14 PM »

Just seen tomorrows OOP  looks like there could potentially be a tight window between Andy's singles and doubles matches. Presumably the organisers factor these things - does anyone know the guidelines for this? confused
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Comfortable Murray through to third round « Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 08:07 PM »

Just seen tomorrows OOP  looks like there could potentially be a tight window between Andy's singles and doubles matches. Presumably the organisers factor these things - does anyone know the guidelines for this? confused

Tell Andy to keep the foot down and win 6-1 6-0?? Whistle
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »
+ Quick Reply