Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Confident Murray cruises past Querrey 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Confident Murray cruises past Querrey

(Read 1595 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Confident Murray cruises past Querrey « on: August 15, 2012, 09:39 PM »

Andy Murray began his Cincinnati title defence with a comfortable 6-2, 6-4 victory against Sam Querrey in an hour and 15 minutes.

Querrey has been on a good run of form of late, rising back into the top 30, having fallen beyond the top 100 due to injury in 2011. However he proved no match for the Olympic champion, who brushed him aside with ease.

The American is renowned for his giant serve but it was he who faced the first break point of the match. A poor drop shot from Murray enabled Querrey to avert the early danger, but the Scot continued to put pressure on the Querrey serve and had another opportunity in the next service game. And this time he did get the break, with Querrey sticking a forehand into the net to hand the Brit the first breakthrough.

Murray was facing few problems in his own service games, largely thanks to his second serve, with the Brit winning 80% of the points behind it. Querrey seemed out of ideas and at 4-2 Murray broke again – a big forehand winner setting up break point before another error from the American sealed the break. Another comfortable service game saw the Scot take the first set 6-2, and he was looking in complete control.

(Read more 184 words)
The knee problem that had forced him to withdraw from Toronto didn’t seem to be causing Murray any problems, and he was quick to assert his dominance in the second set, breaking in the opening game. The Scot seemed full of confidence and was hitting big on both sides, stretching Querrey all over the court.

The only moment of worry for the Olympic champion came in the eighth game of the set. Murray struggled to find his first serve and a couple of errors allowed Querrey a chance to break back. However the Brit stood firm to deny the home favourite and eventually held serve to force the American to serve to stay in the match. Which he did, but there was nothing he could do to prevent Murray from securing his place in the third round, with a couple of aces sealing the victory.

Murray will now take on lucky loser Jeremy Chardy for a place in the quarter-finals, who only got into the draw after John Isner withdrew. The Frenchman beat Andy Roddick and Denis Istomin en route to the third round.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter August 15, 2012, 09:43 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Confident Murray cruises past Querrey « Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 09:44 PM »

Thanks for another good report, which always especially welcome when missed the whole thing.  Got in just to hear end of Andy's interview and the post-match chat.  Peter Fleming was commenting that Andy is much more relaxed on court now, which allows him to play with confidence.  And a relief to read that the knee didn't seem to be a problem.  Onwards and upwards Andy   cmon yeah cmon yeah
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Confident Murray cruises past Querrey « Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 09:45 PM »

Great report. Should be 'start' and not 'strain' in the 3rd from last paragraph.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Confident Murray cruises past Querrey « Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 09:51 PM »

Great report. Should be 'start' and not 'strain' in the 3rd from last paragraph.
I went with one line then changed it to another, but messed up and ended up with both merging together! Fixed now, cheers.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Confident Murray cruises past Querrey « Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 10:17 PM »

Thanks for great report.  It is good to hear Andy is carrying his form and confidence over from the Olympic.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Confident Murray cruises past Querrey « Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 10:23 PM »

Thanx 4 report.
Let's Go Andy. Let's Go.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Confident Murray cruises past Querrey « Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 10:34 PM »

Spot on report MadHatter Smile
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Confident Murray cruises past Querrey « Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 11:17 PM »

clap Good report, I didn't see the match but this gave a good idea of the feel of it Smile
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Confident Murray cruises past Querrey « Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 11:34 PM »

Great report MH, onwards and upwards
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Confident Murray cruises past Querrey « Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 11:50 PM »

Cheers for that. Just got in from work. Great stuff Andy. Great to see his second serve is still working well, 80% of points won, wow!!
IP Logged
Big dutch fan of Andy
Satellite Level

Re: Confident Murray cruises past Querrey « Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 11:59 PM »

Great report MH , it's good to hear that Andy dit great in his match against Querrey , i am a verry big fan of Andy for a lot of years . and i hope he will be able to win the title here in Cinci , he derserve it.
Sorry for my bad English .
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Confident Murray cruises past Querrey « Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 12:01 AM »

Great report MH , it's good to hear that Andy dit great in his match against Querrey , i am a verry big fan of Andy for a lot of years . and i hope he will be able to win the title here in Cinci , he derserve it.
Sorry for my bad English .
Are you serious?  Your English is way better than our Dutch, I'm sure.  Welcome!
IP Logged
Big dutch fan of Andy
Satellite Level

Re: Confident Murray cruises past Querrey « Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 12:09 AM »

Have you see Nol have said over Andy
IP Logged
Big dutch fan of Andy
Satellite Level

Re: Confident Murray cruises past Querrey « Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 12:10 AM »

http://www.espn.co.uk/espn/sport/story/165275.html#
IP Logged
Big dutch fan of Andy
Satellite Level

Re: Confident Murray cruises past Querrey « Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 12:12 AM »

i agree with that , what do you all think about that all ?
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »