Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Dismal Murray falls to Chardy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 19 Go Down Reply
Author

Dismal Murray falls to Chardy

(Read 10609 times)
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #165 on: August 18, 2012, 01:58 AM »

Good posting! philip
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #166 on: August 18, 2012, 06:44 AM »

Just been looking at the headlines on Serena Williams losing to Kerber.  No nasties only that it was an upset but that she was bound to be tired after her run at the Olympics etc.  What is it with Andy?  Why such drama when he loses even though 6-4, 6-4  is not too bad and it seemed to me that he did his best, in spite of being tired, he did not exactly 'crash' out.  If I remember correctly last year he went onto the Asian swing winning everything including the doubles while the others all backed off through tiredness except Nadal who won nothing.
IP Logged
Johnny Handsome
Futures Level

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #167 on: August 18, 2012, 07:31 AM »

i try not to read too much into these performances anymore....he usually turns it on when it matters these days, he was dismal against mahut at queens..same against anderson last year in toronto, then produced at the majors.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #168 on: August 18, 2012, 07:41 AM »

Philip at 1.32 a.m. What a post - it was great to wake up to that - well done Philip!
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #169 on: August 18, 2012, 07:42 AM »

I forgot to add that Serena did not play at Montreal therefore should be suffering from jet-lag and that, of course, they both played in the doubles fionals at Olympics.

I agree with you 'Johnny Handsome' that he is only out for the majors and so this loss is nothing to worry about.  It gives him a chance to rest while the others may well be tired.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #170 on: August 18, 2012, 08:43 AM »

@Philip. 1.11am. At last, the voice of reason clap
 thumb up
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #171 on: August 18, 2012, 10:10 AM »

Encouraging to read all the positive comments. Yet, I can't bring myself to totally tune in . Firstly, Andy was frustrated himself, as somebody on MW observed quite rightly. His body language revealed his dissatisfaction and maybe something (weather, body) hampered him from swinging freely. I really felt with him. Secondly, he loses a lot of points (I mean it's a Masters after all, even if some of you don't consider them as important on the way to a GS title). These points are the basis of his ranking which  decides about the draw. So it's vital to stay in  the top 4. And as we all know, with the USO and the Asian swing there are a lot of points at stake. And a third remark: such a loss adds to Andy's reputation of being vulnerable in the first rounds, something that might motivate lower-ranked players the more and which gives us unnecessary nail-biting matches although we are used to them as Murray fans. But I agree completely that defeats like these are not at all a foreshadowing of the upcoming events. And it goes without saying that they do not diminish my support and belief in Andy. He is not Mr Perfect, which is one thing I like about him. What he has achieved this summer has been emotional foremost to him, (that's why he deserves time to enjoy it) and to all of us. Therefore I'm not too greedy to expect the next big thing. Though, if it happens, I'll take it as an encore.
But the good thing about Thursday's result is that I can spend the weekend outdoors as we are supposed to have temperatures above 30°.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #172 on: August 18, 2012, 10:29 AM »

I would like to add the following observations. I watched the the Chardy match and what was obvious that Chardy was playing out of his skin, his forehand was peppering the lines, made me think of the way Rosol played against Rafa. Andy however seemed to have difficulty hitting the lines and a number of balls hit the net and went against him. He wasn't playing his best, but would have won against a normal Chardy and not an inspired one.
Also I too noticed his team and the way they were sitting and reacting, so I think there was something going on that we will never know about. In the end I think it was a good thing that Andy now has time to get some rest and practice with Lendl and be ready to face the rigors of the next tournament.
Re his lose of points, not going to make a difference to his seeding at New York.
Re Big Noses' stats, I think the stats we should be looking at are the following
1. The number of easy draws Fed has had.
2. The time of day/ night of his matches ( In Cincy he has had missed all the heat due to evening
    matches.) This has been the same throughout the year.
3. His draw when he plays so that he gets the most rest between his matches e.g last year at New
    York.
All of the above have far more of an effect on fatigue.
Listening to those who competed in the Olympic games (medal winners.) They have all commented on the amount of media commitments they had, and how once the adrenalin had gone how exhausted they were and they needed to rest before getting back into training. And Andy was on the plane the next day and coping with jet lag. I rest my case.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #173 on: August 18, 2012, 12:05 PM »

Whilst I have been at work I have been trying to think what it was that Lendl said to Andy at the AO.  It was that match practice is a myth you should get on and off court as quick as possible as throughout your career you have had plenty of match practice.
IP Logged
J Jackson
Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #174 on: August 18, 2012, 12:56 PM »

Who wrote this? It doesn't read like a website that supports Murray, rather his opposition.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #175 on: August 18, 2012, 01:06 PM »

Why would it not support Andy?  It was when someone said that Andy could have had more time on court instead of closing out in 3 sets easily.  I actually think is was Lendl himself or Andy said it in an interview but it has been at the back of my mind this week.  I can see the logic of this but it does go against the usually thinking.  I was thinking about the lack of practice before Wimbledon and what happened there. 

Boris Becker once said that you can over practice.  I do know that you can do this in other sports eg. schooling a horse and rider.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #176 on: August 18, 2012, 01:23 PM »

Why would it not support Andy?  It was when someone said that Andy could have had more time on court instead of closing out in 3 sets easily.  I actually think is was Lendl himself or Andy said it in an interview but it has been at the back of my mind this week.  I can see the logic of this but it does go against the usually thinking.  I was thinking about the lack of practice before Wimbledon and what happened there. 

Boris Becker once said that you can over practice.  I do know that you can do this in other sports eg. schooling a horse and rider.
Don't think J.Jackson was referring to you but to the match report.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #177 on: August 18, 2012, 01:34 PM »

^ Yes that's my take.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #178 on: August 18, 2012, 01:40 PM »

Who wrote this? It doesn't read like a website that supports Murray, rather his opposition.
Another new member. Welcome to our forum.
If you go to the front page you will see every match report along with every author.

Do you require any further assistance, or have any other comment on Andy and this match, or is that all?
Glad to help.
Cheerio for now. wave
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #179 on: August 18, 2012, 02:02 PM »

This is quite possible, probable even given results so far this year. Murray's performances at the slams are not good enough to keep him in the top four. He defends a huge amount of points from now until the end of the year, most of them at Masters and ATP500/250 events.

A couple of bad performances and he could actually drop as low as 8 by the end of the year.

You are funny, boogers and sometimes, hilarious. I guess you forget when write this sort of stuff that you were just as much negative when Andy lost a match in a tournament where he didn't have any points to defend. The points are just a cover up and to validate the fact that you are typically a very negative person and you yourself have admitted not so long ago. But still, I will take your post at face value and answer the highlighted part above.

Let me tell you first though that you are one of the few guys (and they know very well who they are) who resort to worst case scenario first. And I've also seen other people worrying about things that may or may not happen like ever, but they worry nonetheless if there's even a remote possibility to it. I am not sure if they are just bunch of worry-warts or they just simply get so bored that they feel the need to cook something up, so that they can keep themselves busy thinking about some irrelevant matters.

And now going to the worst possible case scenario above, what's the worse that can happen if Andy indeed slides down to rank 6th or 7th or 8th or even out of top ten? You think it's really that vital that he stays at the top of ranking and it's the only way he'll ever win a Slam? Not quite. The two critical elements that are holding Andy really back have nothing to do with his ranking and they are: one, pressure and we all know by now how deadly that is and can be; two, no matter where he sits at the ranking bar and no matter how comfortable he is there, he will still have to face at least one of the top players en route to final if not two. There's simply no escaping from those two realities.  

But to make your case even weaker, let me give a list of players who won their first Slam regardless where they were in terms rankings and almost all of them are legends:

Pete Sampras: ranked 12 (and we all know the tough line up he had to deal with to win his first Slam)
Andre Agassi: ranked 12
Boris Becker: ranked 20 (wasn't even seeded at Wimbledon)
Stefan Edberg: ranked 6
Jim Courier: ranked 9
Goran Ivanisevic: WC (and he beat Roddick, Rusedski, Safin, Henman and fianlly, Rafter to win his only Slam)

That is just to show you that if someone is meant to win a Slam or many, nothing can possibly stand in their way if they are meant and up for it. So if Andy is to win a Slam, he will win it regardless and in fact, the lower he's ranked the better it is for him, because no one will expect anything from him, since he has serious problems dealing with the pressure. We don't need another Wozniacki at the top and I really hope Andy understands the burden of being one of the top players (he really knows and that's why he doesn't mind taking some of the pressure off from time to time) and the responsibilities that come with it. He doesn't need it right now because he has yet to win his first Slam. Any idiot should understand this, really.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean August 18, 2012, 02:28 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 19 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »