Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Dismal Murray falls to Chardy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 19 Go Down Reply
Author

Dismal Murray falls to Chardy

(Read 9864 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #105 on: August 17, 2012, 03:33 PM »

I've seen Chardy play a lot better, and I've only seen him play like 3 times.

First set he was very good. Second set he was very average.

Andy on the other hand started decent then after the first break of serve just completely lost it. His serving was utterly atrocious in his first three service games of the second set.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #106 on: August 17, 2012, 03:33 PM »

I'm not surprised, instead of taking a well deserved rest he went globe-trotting like a headless chicken. He should have stayed for the closing ceremony and have a bit of fun with other Olympians. instead flew to toronto for one match, retired, played on good match then got thrashed by chardy. Pure and simple exhaustion.

You do understand that the top players have to meet their obligations with the ATP for MS1000 events which is mandatory? The Olympics is a nice distraction but after it was done, it is business as usual. It's extremely harsh to label Andy 'globe-trotting like a headless chicken'. What a flippant remark to make..

Chardy played an aggressive match and in a BO3, sometimes it can pay off. Andy had chances to break him in the 2nd and got a liucky net cord at 4-3. Losing 64 64 is not a thrashing.

Andy could have tried to win both Toronto and Cincy but this would have left him with an empty tank come USO so Andy and Ivan is looking at the bigger picture.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #107 on: August 17, 2012, 03:37 PM »

I've seen Chardy play a lot better, and I've only seen him play like 3 times.

First set he was very good. Second set he was very average.

Andy on the other hand started decent then after the first break of serve just completely lost it. His serving was utterly atrocious in his first three service games of the second set.
With all due respect tmh I think someone who watches players professionally has probably seen him play more.  That said I agree Andy's serve was what really let him down together with too many unforced errors.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #108 on: August 17, 2012, 03:40 PM »

Is it not rare for a fan of Roger federer to indulge in some reflected egotism & grandiosity.
There's is simply too much emanating from federer for them not to be drawn in at some point.

I do think he’s a fan of Andy but I don't think he's a bigger fan of Andy than Federer. It's virtually impossible for any Fedtards and he's a big one. There’s nothing wrong with it to be honest as people are entitled to like as many players as they like and can have their opinion too but he’s never constructive critical of Andy but just utterly negative and there’s huge difference between the two. And of course, by his own admission, he loves to wind Andy fans up. Any true fan with the right intention won’t do it but he does it, because the majority of us simply hate Federer and he simply can’t stand it because let’s face it, truth hurts.  
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #109 on: August 17, 2012, 03:46 PM »

I do believe Andy needed a good amount of break after his Olympics win which was huge. He gave his best effort there and he needed to rejoice and relive those moments but instead he had to fly out immediately right after the event to catch up with US series. It's unfortunate and now it's all said and done. You can argue that he’s a professional player therefore he should be professional about it; I say easier said than done. Federer took a nice break right after Olympics; Nadal is nowhere to be found and as to Nole, well, Nole has a lot at stake and he’s pushing his limits and at this point, I am not sure how lethal he will be come USO. As Chopra said, it’s not a war of the fittest anymore but a war of the wisest.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #110 on: August 17, 2012, 03:48 PM »

I hope i made you proud of me,
As i stepped up to the plate,
I had a date with destiny,
And a dream that would not fade,
The olympics were so special,
and guess what i won gold.
The masters are won by many,
But very few win olympic GOLD.
wow that's Briliant  Caroline. Sums it up. clap
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #111 on: August 17, 2012, 03:51 PM »

globe trotting?  He was meeting his commitments.  He'd have been mad to stay behind and pull out of 2 masters tournaments when not injured. I'm sure he'd have loved to have stayed and enjoyed himself post-medal but he's a professional tennis player for heaven's sake.
Just watched Leif Shiras who was emphasising how well Chardy played. Said it's the best he's ever seen him play and that the lucky loser status kind of freed him up to play freely with no expectations.  Shiras thought Andy was trying right till the end.  Neither he nor Croft picked up on how flat he seemed.
Yes I thought that Ruthie , didn't say his serving wasn't working for him, how flat or how it's not surprising after Wimbeldon and the Olympics.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #112 on: August 17, 2012, 03:58 PM »

Philip@ 10.19pm. Excellent post clap
I agree. Reading through your posts makes me feel a lot more cheerful - so much common sense.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #113 on: August 17, 2012, 04:26 PM »

With all due respect tmh I think someone who watches players professionally has probably seen him play more.  That said I agree Andy's serve was what really let him down together with too many unforced errors.
True but the comment reeked to me of bigging up Chardy to make the the result appear.. not as bad as some would make out.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #114 on: August 17, 2012, 04:57 PM »

No reason why LS would do that though tmh.  And it makes a change from attacking Andy the minute he falters as comms can sometimes do.  Anyway bloody typical Chardy seems to have gone to pieces today.  So often happens after a big win.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #115 on: August 17, 2012, 05:05 PM »

Chardy lost 6-1  first set to Delpo. LOL.  Injured wrist my ass.    see that's the problem with these types of players  they can be brilliant one day  and play crap for the rest of the season.  
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #116 on: August 17, 2012, 05:07 PM »

Lol!!! John!!!!! Smile
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #117 on: August 17, 2012, 05:07 PM »

Cant believe people are back to bitching about Murray after this match. He clearly has his sights on much more than a 1000 title. Remember his prep going into Wimbledon was piss poor and looked what's happened since.

I think the only thing that he has done wrong is leaving the UK a week early. And I'm sure he did that for a reason. Quite simply I think Andy is the man to beat at the USO .
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #118 on: August 17, 2012, 05:11 PM »

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Dismal Murray falls to Chardy « Reply #119 on: August 17, 2012, 05:20 PM »

So today is another day, and I am still (and always be) in Andy's corner. I might get frustrated at him, but I'm sure not remotely as frustrated as Andy gets with himself. I think a lot of our reactions come from HIS reactions. It doesn't mean we don't love the bones of him. Andy is a passionate player, and can elicit fierce passion in his supporters. I personally wouldn't have it any other way.

Due to health circumstances, I am able to watch pretty much every match Andy plays. Yesterday was no exception. I feel therefore that I am able to comment on what I can see and hear of Andy's behaviours and reactions. It is a very different experience to keeping tabs of the live scores of his matches, and I wish everyone could have the same opportunity as I (barring the health side.)

What I observed yesterday gave me concern. It was clear (to me anyway) that Andy was incredibly disgusted with his performance, and absolutely NOTHING was going right for him. Some say he tanked this match, or that it was a strategic loss in order for him to save himself for USO.  I don't believe this is true. There's no doubt Slams are uppermost on his mind, as it should be, but Andy is an extremely competitve player who, by his own admission, hates to lose. I didn't expect him to turn up at Toronto, but I did expect him to turn up at Cincy.. if not to defend his championship, then to at least get a few HC competitive matches and points under his belt and feet in preparation for USO.
I also saw his team looking everywhere else except for what Andy was producing on court, but this was almost near the end of the match. By the same token, I also saw Andy berate himself (sarcastically giving himself a thumbs-up and saying "good shot" when he hit the net yet again)... jumping up and down behind the baseline between serves, smacking his palm against his raquet, and the occasional trademark "C'mon!" when he hit a good shot. Hardly the actions of a player who wants to lose, unless Andy has been taking acting lessons we're unaware of.  At the end, he couldn't get off the court fast enough, his disgust was palpable to me. I felt so bad for him.

In conclusion, I wanted to share a comment Rob Koenig made about a point Andy lost., although he fought very hard for it. It was the 1st point in the 4th game on Chardy's serve. I wrote it down because I loved it :
"Can you imagine if he'd (Andy) won that point? We would have rushed on and flooded the court to see if he could walk on water."

Sorry for long post... and here's to the next Andy match. Cheers!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 19 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »