Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Djokovic edges out spirited Murray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Djokovic edges out spirited Murray

(Read 4532 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 06:35 PM »

Wasn't able to watch but from the match report, the posts and the stats on the bbc website [and also the report there] sounds like another classic so I'll probably watch the recorded version when I get back home some time even though Andy lost.  But also sounds like on another thread the usual negative brigade have been jumping on Andy the minute he didn't show perfection.  I think I'll keep away from that thread as it might make me too angry.  Thanks to all of you defending Andy here.
But omg I am going to be beyond nervous on Friday and will be there to see Andy vs jwt.  The permutations are so complicated now that can't work out who I should be rooting for tonight tactically.     confused
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 06:35 PM »

Still think Andy was awesome today, Great match, in fact outstanding! Don't want to hear any negatives, some shots Andy produced nobody would have been able to return, but Novak did, he is not No.1 in the world for nothing! Andy is so close to Novak it's exciting!
Yes - a very positive viewpoint but I'm disappointed he didn't win. Their matches are very special but I thought it might have been Andy's turn to win. I love Andy's more aggressive approach and all the improvements he has made in his game and I know he is still working on so much with Lendl. Next year will be very interesting.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 06:37 PM »

Wasn't able to watch but from the match report, the posts and the stats on the bbc website [and also the report there] sounds like another classic so I'll probably watch the recorded version when I get back home some time even though Andy lost.  But also sounds like on another thread the usual negative brigade have been jumping on Andy the minute he didn't show perfection.  I think I'll keep away from that thread as it might make me too angry.  Thanks to all of you defending Andy here.
But omg I am going to be beyond nervous on Friday and will be there to see Andy vs jwt.  The permutations are so complicated now that can't work out who I should be rooting for tonight tactically.     confused
Tsonga.

Tsonga wins tonight, all Andy has to do is win. Berdych wins tonight then it means we're relying on Djokovic to beat Berdych on Friday, or else it really gets complicated.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 06:41 PM »

Looking at all MH's permutations - does that mean that best case scenario would be for Tsonga to win in 3 tonight?
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 06:44 PM »

in truth  I hate this match up tbh.         2 similar players.     It is is not my fav match up.  They rallies  that they play are mostly up the middle.  There is a lot of pushing imo, and if Andy won   I still wouldn't of called it a classic.  I don't know how you can call it a classic   Think The stats did not look pretty at all.      lots of UE s
[ Last edit by johnkiernan35 November 07, 2012, 06:51 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 07:00 PM »

in truth  I hate this match up tbh.         2 similar players.     It is is not my fav match up.  They rallies  that they play are mostly up the middle.  There is a lot of pushing imo, and if Andy won   I still wouldn't of called it a classic.  I don't know how you can call it a classic   Think The stats did not look pretty at all.      lots of UE s

There were lots of UE's in the USO final too. Was that not a classic?
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 07:02 PM »

Looking at all MH's permutations - does that mean that best case scenario would be for Tsonga to win in 3 tonight?

If Tsonga wins it doesn't matter the score-line. There are pros and cons to every scenario, can't definitively say which is the best outcome.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #22 on: November 07, 2012, 07:05 PM »

in truth  I hate this match up tbh.         2 similar players.     It is is not my fav match up.  They rallies  that they play are mostly up the middle.  There is a lot of pushing imo, and if Andy won   I still wouldn't of called it a classic.  I don't know how you can call it a classic   Think The stats did not look pretty at all.      lots of UE s

I thought you only watched the last two games - how does that qualify you to comment on the match?  There were lots of UEs because they were going for the lines and moving one another from side to side constantly.  I despair!!
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 07:05 PM »

This was an entertaining match with lot's in it and I think Andy did pretty well. I would never want to watch this match again though.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 07:13 PM »

There were lots of UE's in the USO final too. Was that not a classic?
I thought you only watched the last two games - how does that qualify you to comment on the match?  There were lots of UEs because they were going for the lines and moving one another from side to side constantly.  I despair!!

I watched a replay of it.  In fairness  it was very up and down.  No player was playing at their best.      I don't know how you enjoyed it.   Murray was good in the first set.  Nole was no where to be seen.   in the 2nd Murray  was no where to be seen  Novak played decent  and then after that  there was just a series of breaks.   Andy did well to fight back.   The Us Open final was average at best.  I'm glad Andy won   but it's wasn't up there as one of the best matches imo.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #25 on: November 07, 2012, 07:14 PM »

If Tsonga wins it doesn't matter the score-line. There are pros and cons to every scenario, can't definitively say which is the best outcome.
Is there?

Tsonga wins, all Murray has to do is win on Friday.

Berdych wins, Murray has to win and that still might not be enough.

Of course if Berdych wins it means Andy would still have a small chance of qualifying should he lose on Friday, but do we really want to be looking at it like that?

Although Berdych winning would also give Murray a slim chance of topping the group, but given how tight it would be, he'd have just as much chance of coming 3rd.

He has to win on Friday regardless and Tsonga winning tonight would mean that would guarantee qualification, albeit in 2nd spot.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 07:14 PM »

I'm going in a minute, honestly, but just wanted to agree. What is the point in Andy only playing people he can beat with his eyes closed? Also, people have argued for years that he needs to take the ball on, be more aggressive. Well now he is. He takes more risks. That means he will sometimes make more UE's.

The most fascinating stat for me was the one that showed the distance Djokovic has covered playing Andy compared to others in 2012. The difference is unbelievable. Boy do they make each other move!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 07:16 PM »

I watched a replay of it.  In fairness  it was very up and down.  No player was playing at their best.      I don't know how you enjoyed it.   Murray was good in the first set.  Nole was no where to be seen.   in the 2nd Murray  was no where to be seen  Novak played decent  and then after that  there was just a series of breaks.   Andy did well to fight back.   The Us Open final was average at best.  I'm glad Andy won   but it's wasn't up there as one of the best matches imo.
Would you call the US Open final an epic?

In my opinion it's the drama, the twists and turns, how close the match is and it going right to the wire that defines a classic/epic/whatever else you want to call it.

But obviously people have different opinions.
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 07:16 PM »

But omg I am going to be beyond nervous on Friday and will be there to see Andy vs jwt.  The permutations are so complicated now that can't work out who I should be rooting for tonight tactically.     confused
Make sure you shout real loud on Friday Ruthie Andys gonna need all the support he can get after the long year he's had and he must be  real tired so will need the crowds support to give him a lift.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 07:16 PM »

The Us Open final was average at best.  I'm glad Andy won   but it's wasn't up there as one of the best matches imo.

Well now I really am going, because that is unbelievable. I am speechless. Yes, me!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »