Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Djokovic edges out spirited Murray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Djokovic edges out spirited Murray

(Read 4319 times)
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #30 on: November 07, 2012, 07:20 PM »

Would you call the US Open final an epic?

In my opinion it's the drama, the twists and turns, how close the match is and it going right to the wire that defines a classic/epic/whatever else you want to call it.

But obviously people have different opinions.

nah  I prefer  the tennis.   I don't think Andy played his best that  night.  I thought he played better at the Olympics.  It's just my opinion
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #31 on: November 07, 2012, 07:26 PM »

Is there?

Tsonga wins, all Murray has to do is win on Friday.

Berdych wins, Murray has to win and that still might not be enough.

Of course if Berdych wins it means Andy would still have a small chance of qualifying should he lose on Friday, but do we really want to be looking at it like that?

Although Berdych winning would also give Murray a slim chance of topping the group, but given how tight it would be, he'd have just as much chance of coming 3rd.

He has to win on Friday regardless and Tsonga winning tonight would mean that would guarantee qualification, albeit in 2nd spot.
If Berdych wins 2-1 though it will still be in Andy's hand then because Andy would be through with a 2-0 win over Tsonga. Then also by this happening it opens up other possibilities such as Novak getting knocked out and Andy still getting through even if he loses to Tsonga. It would also help swing the competitiveness of the two matches the right way.

I'm actually starting to think a 2-1 Berdych win would be best.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #32 on: November 07, 2012, 07:36 PM »

Basically I'll be cheering Tsonga on till he wins a set, then I'm not too bothered what happens. As long as Berdych doesn't win 2-0 it's fine.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #33 on: November 07, 2012, 07:41 PM »

If Tsonga wins tonight that will make him more ambitious for friday's match, i really don't know what the best outcome is, i think nobody can predict and we just have to wait and see how it all pans out, remember andy has won 2 times in a RR before and not made it, the only guarantee anybody has of qualification is if they win 3 matches, even Novak said on the ATP site that he is going to try and win just to feel safe, all talk about him tanking on purpose is ridiculous.
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #34 on: November 07, 2012, 07:44 PM »

I virtually had to leave house as soon as the last ball was played, unfortunately in Nole's favour, and so I had plenty of time to think about the outcome. Of course, I was disappointed at the loss but not at Andy's performance. There were phases when both players made their errors. Yet I was proud how Andy fought back in the third set. The only criticism is that he did not hold it, nor did he convert his two break points. But let's not forget who he was playing. What comforts me is the fact that we will see Andy again on Friday, then hopefully with an impressive (or an ugly) win. It's not over until it's over!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #35 on: November 07, 2012, 07:58 PM »

If Berdych wins 2-1 though it will still be in Andy's hand then because Andy would be through with a 2-0 win over Tsonga. Then also by this happening it opens up other possibilities such as Novak getting knocked out and Andy still getting through even if he loses to Tsonga. It would also help swing the competitiveness of the two matches the right way.

I'm actually starting to think a 2-1 Berdych win would be best.
True, but then it also puts a lot of pressure on Andy to win in straight sets, and Tsonga is perfectly capable of taking at least a set.

Main thing is to get out of the groups. Federer or Ferrer (who seems the most likely runner up in that group), personally I'm not fussed. I'm actually very intrigued to see how Andy would fare against Federer indoors.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #36 on: November 07, 2012, 07:59 PM »

If Tsonga wins tonight that will make him more ambitious for friday's match, i really don't know what the best outcome is, i think nobody can predict and we just have to wait and see how it all pans out, remember andy has won 2 times in a RR before and not made it, the only guarantee anybody has of qualification is if they win 3 matches, even Novak said on the ATP site that he is going to try and win just to feel safe, all talk about him tanking on purpose is ridiculous.
If he plays the evening match he'll already know if he's qualified or not or what he has to do to qualify, so it's perfectly possible he could throw the match. We only have to look as far as 2009 to see evidence of that. It would be naïve to think it doesn't happen.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #37 on: November 07, 2012, 08:10 PM »

Who will get the evening match? It's rather important, I hope Andy gets it - like in poker being in position is important.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #38 on: November 07, 2012, 08:22 PM »

Gutted I missed it but was on the train, around the rest of the week though so watching as much tennis as I can, though at the weekend I might choose rugby over tennis Very Happy
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #39 on: November 07, 2012, 08:31 PM »

I had a new experience today - following the match on radio! It's the one day of the week we don't have public in and my colleague is also a dedicated Andy fan so we listened away. I'm not sure I got as much enjoyment as I would've watching it but it was nice to keep up with it all the same given how close it was - though I missed some of the twists and turns in the final set as I had to concentrate on some work I was doing.

Anyway thanks for the match report really well written and from what I heard (seems weird writing that!) very accurate. So close at the end, fingers crossed for Friday when I'll hopefully be able to watch.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #40 on: November 07, 2012, 09:37 PM »

Must be likely they give andy night match as both matches so far afternoon. They did 2 yrs ago when andy lost tamely to fed in 2nd game. And then went on to brilliant sf.
Caroline will shout as loud as can and might see if can get a seat nearer front when there 2morrow.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #41 on: November 07, 2012, 09:46 PM »

Hope Andy gets night match also - but that'll mean Tsonga has had 3 night matches, so something has to give.  Andy's match today should have been evening. I hate it when TV schedules interfere with sport scheduling.  We don't want to go the way of Football.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #42 on: November 07, 2012, 09:46 PM »

I had a new experience today - following the match on radio! It's the one day of the week we don't have public in and my colleague is also a dedicated Andy fan so we listened away. I'm not sure I got as much enjoyment as I would've watching it but it was nice to keep up with it all the same given how close it was - though I missed some of the twists and turns in the final set as I had to concentrate on some work I was doing.

Anyway thanks for the match report really well written and from what I heard (seems weird writing that!) very accurate. So close at the end, fingers crossed for Friday when I'll hopefully be able to watch.

I find listening to Andy matches on the radio painful - I had to listen to the US Open final on the radio.  I had to walk away at the tie break! lol
IP Logged
Coldmarek
Top Seed

Andy Murray is better than you.

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #43 on: November 07, 2012, 10:28 PM »

Im so glad I went to see this one despite the loss I think Andy will eventually advance,so he can kickout Smugfed again.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Djokovic edges out spirited Murray « Reply #44 on: November 07, 2012, 10:33 PM »

Im so glad I went to see this one despite the loss I think Andy will eventually advance,so he can kickout Smugfed again.

John, you just said on the other thread that you think Andy has lost too many sets and games and you think he will not qualify - are you having a bad day lol ...........
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »