Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Magnificent Murray ends 76 years of hurt 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 29 Go Down Reply
Author

Magnificent Murray ends 76 years of hurt

(Read 13428 times)
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #165 on: September 12, 2012, 07:55 PM »

I'm still not over the Olympics.  tbh.  now the US OPEN.  WHAT THE HELL.   Why are you doing this to me Mr Murray. WHY?!?!   JUST BLOODY MAGNIFICO.      I blubbed a bit.  I'm just so  happy.    LIKE I COULD streak down this street 20 times.  I wouldn't even feel embarrassed. 
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #166 on: September 12, 2012, 10:10 PM »

Alis i read that posting that the Indian seer said AM would win a grandslam,it was a he,he also said AM would win a medal at the olympics and,i came across the posting by accident as im always looking for things like that to see if any of them ever had any  predictions about Andys chances of wining a grandslam.

Sounds like he knows a thing or two Caroline.  I wonder what he's predicting for Andy in 2013? 
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #167 on: September 12, 2012, 10:37 PM »

Only joined before the US open started and have not commented yet as it is one of my superstitions not to comment on any blog or forums while Andy is playing as from experience it usually means he loses, total hogwash of course but hey Smile

Anyway, i was looking at omens and signs and i noticed a few things from this tournament, specifically the numbers 3 and 5 (andy's seeding 3 and number of attempts at a slam 5)

Firstly, Novak seeded 2 Andy seeded 3 (2+3=5)

Number of games won by Andy in final = 25 (25/5=5)

5 sets, of course it was always going to be 5 sets

Forgetting the first 2 players he faced as they were not seeded, the remaining games he played were all seeded players but what is interesting is the actual numbers

Lopez 30
Raonic 15
Cilic 12
Berdych 6

Then of course Andy himself was 3 so to follow, Andy was always going to win as all those numbers are divisible by 3 Smile

Andy won on 10th september 10/2=5

Andy's age 25 25/5=5

And of course it took nearly 5 hours to win the final Smile

He won 5 tie breaks to get to the final

Hehe totally random of course but still fun all the same, anyway i think i started to believe Andy was going to win this after something he did after the Raonic match i think it was, he updated his picture on his facebook page from the gold medal photo to a picture of New York, almost as if for the first few rounds his head was still in London but then all of a sudden got his head back and started to knuckle down in NY.

Once i watched him battle Lopez in those tense tie breaks, and watched him come back from the jaws of defeat against Cilic i truly started to believe the tennis gods were definately on his side. Anyway, the debate now on most forums i've visited seems to be all about who has teken over Andy Murray as the best tennis player never to win a slam lol some interesting names are being mentioned, Tsonga, Berdych etc, i just find it funny now how many people on the ATP site have now decided Andy is worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as the other 3 now he has won a slam, some people are quick to jump on a champions bandwagon aren't they  clap

One final random thought, i noticed that the last 4 players Andy played all have a surname that ends with itch haha Raonic, Cilic, Berdych, Djokovic - seems to me that winning a slam was the last itch that Andy wanted to scratch  yay

IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #168 on: September 12, 2012, 10:43 PM »

The Gnome, Andy was statistically and unarguably the best player never to have won a slam. I now believe it's Tommy Haas.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #169 on: September 12, 2012, 10:46 PM »

Ha Ha.  Good post Gnome....and welcome fully to MW.  Next time I have an 'itch' it'll remind me of Andy's triumph!
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #170 on: September 12, 2012, 10:59 PM »

I don't know about anyone else but I don't care about that at all.

It's about the Slams and nothing else.
Somehow I don't want Andy to have to endure the pressures that go with being #1, at least not now.....he's just lifted the pressures of the British nation off his shoulders.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #171 on: September 12, 2012, 11:05 PM »

I forgot the most important one!!

H2H record with Novak is now 8-7 Smile 8+7=15/3=5!! hehe  google
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #172 on: September 12, 2012, 11:17 PM »

love the statistics gnome - a great addition to MW!
Nigel: no not too long.  Remember this one is for history so people will come back to it not least to remind themselves of the excitement we all felt the day Andy won his first GS.
Sorry to miss all the media coverage, which sounds great.
Glad he's back home now and got such a good welcome.  I hope he'll make it to Scotland for the celebrations. And relieved to see from the schedule he's not due to play again until 1 october, which gives him abit of time to rest and come to terms with his new status.

Oh and tj happy birthday. Not sure now which day it was but what a birthday present eh? hug
[ Last edit by Ruthie September 12, 2012, 11:45 PM ] IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #173 on: September 12, 2012, 11:44 PM »

The Gnome, Andy was statistically and unarguably the best player never to have won a slam. I now believe it's Tommy Haas.
I would pick Nalbandian above Haas. Philippoussis and Coria where very good as well and Coria was extremely close at the French losing a tight set in the 5th after being 2 sets up. I personally think Baghdatis is very good, he certainly has under-achieved in his career.
[ Last edit by laundry September 12, 2012, 11:51 PM ] IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #174 on: September 12, 2012, 11:54 PM »

I would pick Nalbandian above Haas. Philippoussis and Coria where very good as well and Coria was extremely close at the French losing a tight set in the 5th after being 2 sets up. I personally think Baghdatis is very good and should have won a slam.

No, no, no. Not Nalbandian. I love his game (I've copied it) but he made a slam final, had a short stint at number 3, then disappeared.

Haas is different class. He's 34 now and out of his 16 years as a pro, he's maybe completed four seasons without injury?

When he truly started to put it together, he made world number 2. Then his mum and dad got seriously injured in a motorbike accident and he took a year out to care for them. Since then, it's been a catalogue of injuries.

But I've seen him destroy top players, especially indoors. They were looking for points - needed a magnifying glass to find them. He's such a talent.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #175 on: September 13, 2012, 12:07 AM »

I know Haas has had bad injuries but on the results front though.

Slams:

Nalbandian: 1 Finals, 4 Semis, 5 QFS
Haas: 0 Finals, 4 Semis, 3 QFS

Masters:

Nalbandian: 2 Wins,  4 Finals, 5 Semis, 8 QFS
Haas: 1 Wins, 1 Final, 5 Semis, 7 QFS

Nalbandian also won the World Tour Finals.
[ Last edit by laundry September 13, 2012, 12:13 AM ] IP Logged
madabouttheboy
Junior

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #176 on: September 13, 2012, 12:10 AM »

Love this-so will Sean Connery I suspect.

* AM fun.jpg (68.65 KB, 600x833 - viewed 7 times.)
IP Logged
madabouttheboy
Junior

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #177 on: September 13, 2012, 12:12 AM »

Sorry it's so big, didn't quite get how to do it as still suffering from Murrayitis.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #178 on: September 13, 2012, 12:40 AM »

I think it was someone on here that posted back in January that an Indian seer had predicted that 2012 would be a fantastic year for Andy - particularly the second part of the year.  How right he/she was - and the year hasn't finished yet!!!!!! 
Alis i read that posting that the Indian seer said AM would win a grandslam,it was a he,he also said AM would win a medal at the olympics and,i came across the posting by accident as im always looking for things like that to see if any of them ever had any  predictions about Andys chances of wining a grandslam.
I read that posting but, sceptic that I am, dismissed it as a load of waffle because I freely admit that, at the time, I didn't think Andy had any chance of doing either, particularly as I think it coincided with his AO semi-final defeat.  I now await the rest of 2012 with interest!
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #179 on: September 13, 2012, 01:03 AM »

I read on the Beeb that someone reminded him about it and he'd forgotten it. search

My mistake, it was in an article in the Guardian:-

The newly anointed champion himself, however, didn't seem to share in the joy. Rather than laughing or crying or clambering through the crowd to hug his family, Murray sat on his chair, put his head in his hands, then looked up in annoyance. Someone had reminded him to wear his sponsor's watch at the ceremony. "I don't know where it is," he said, truculently, as if he was late for the office and had just been asked by his girlfriend to locate the car keys.

Also, looks like the heading's changed when you click on the link now.

Total bastards focussing on this. Its blindingly obvious to anyone with an ounce of sensitivity that Andy was in a state of shock after breaking the 76 year drought and fulfilling all his hopes and dreams. I think he was lost didn't know what to do - the funny thing about tennis is that immediately after a great win they have to sit down all alone and pack their bags with the cameras trained on their every move and facial expression. It is so endearing that he wasn't even thinking about the worlds cameras being on his face as he panicked to his girlfriend about his watch. He was also grimacing in agony whereas someone like Federer always smiles beautifically acutely conscious of his media image. Stay real Andy - your real fans love you the way you are and the Mail can just go and f*** off.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 29 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »