Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Magnificent Murray ends 76 years of hurt 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 29 Go Down Reply
Author

Magnificent Murray ends 76 years of hurt

(Read 12369 times)
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #135 on: September 11, 2012, 08:49 PM »

Now I am going to watch the replay as I was so tense during the match. Hid behind a cushion and when Andy won threw it in the air and yelled with joy and gave my husband a fright. I am so overjoyed for Andy and his family and team. It was a long wait but so so worth it. I think all of us on MW are so proud of him and the way he played last night. We have all experienced the highs and lows of being a Murray fan.  Many of us have said it is like riding a roller coaster but the joy I felt for him last night was oh so special and should be savoured it is so so special. Well done Andy you have worked so hard enjoy your time in the sun. yay yay yay
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #136 on: September 11, 2012, 09:26 PM »

The only downside of this for me is that this isn't big news in Canada. Right now I feel very far away from Scotland, and I really appreciate everyone's postings with pictures and videos, etc.

I'm wondering if Andy will be on Letterman tonight. Nole was on last year. I will have to stay up late to check.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #137 on: September 11, 2012, 11:01 PM »

hi scotnadian - me too I'm missing the celebrations back home.  But at least I got to ride the roller coaster at a civilised hour.  and what a roller coaster it was.  I felt that in the final set Andy tapped into an inner strength, calmness and conviction that was quite special to watch.  I am so incredibly proud of him. And in some ways the victory is sweeter for having been so much harder than if Nole hadn't fought back. 
Andy looked quite dazed at the end as if he was still in that zone that had brought him to victory combined with disbelief that he'd finally done it. didn't see how he reacted after immediate reaction until the presentation as wretched tv filled it up with ads.  Apparently he took off his 'sneakers' and seemed to be in some pain. Not surprising after pounding it out for 5 hours - joint longest USO final ever.
Johnnie Mac said at outset if Andy won he could justifiably claim to be best player in world.
And Nigel that was a great report  - you really rose to the occasion.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #138 on: September 11, 2012, 11:13 PM »

Sorry Iris must have posted at the same time!!  How brilliant is that football and tennis together!!
Great minds eh!  Just wish our football could be brought up to the standard of Andy's tennis! lol
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #139 on: September 11, 2012, 11:17 PM »

Just found this report posted on Guardian website an hour ago. It's funny as I've sometimes wondered whether deep down Andy had doubts about winning a slam because it could change his life and this is exactly what he'd said to Lendl apparently.   Also from the other Guardian report apparently Andy apologised if how happy he was feeling inside didn't really show but he was having trouble expressing how he felt he thought because of disbelief.  Don't you just love him.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/sep/11/andy-murray-us-open-doubts?newsfeed=true
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #140 on: September 11, 2012, 11:20 PM »

And Nigel that was a great report  - you really rose to the occasion.

Thank you, Ruthie. However, I think it's too long, which is deterring people from reading it. So a big minus mark there.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #141 on: September 11, 2012, 11:24 PM »

Ruthie, did you hear Andy talk about when he took himself to the toilet before the fifth? The way he spoke about thinking it was one more set that he had to push through, or words to that effect, really choked me up. It kind of seems as if he really looked in to his soul for a solution, to decide if he really could do it, and then came out fighting again. I think that is a huge step forwards for him.

Petch said he thought it was better Andy had to fight to win. He said that way no one could take anything away from it, it couldn't be considered a fluke.

In the immediate aftermath on Sky, you could see Andy getting in to a bit of a pickle because he couldn't find his watch! Obviously Rado are one of his sponsors and he must have realised he would need to wear the watch to lift the trophy - that's quite something to think about when you've just won your first major and you are shattered - but once Kim told him where it was he was fine lol.

Andy said on Sky that he lost a toe nail during the match. It sounds as if that would hurt, ouch!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #142 on: September 11, 2012, 11:26 PM »

Thank you, Ruthie. However, I think it's too long, which is deterring people from reading it. So a big minus mark there.

The report isn't too long, it's great. This was a special situation that you've described very, very well.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #143 on: September 11, 2012, 11:36 PM »

Thanks for the link to the Guardian article Ruthie it was interesting to hear Andy talking about it not sinking in yet.  Many Open winners have said that after winning their first Open they couldn't believe it untikl it sunk in about a week later (I think Djokovic mentioned it in an interview).  If that is true, it will be nice for Andy to wake up one morning in the UK when the realisation dawns.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #144 on: September 11, 2012, 11:42 PM »

Ruthie, did you hear Andy talk about when he took himself to the toilet before the fifth? The way he spoke about thinking it was one more set that he had to push through, or words to that effect, really choked me up. It kind of seems as if he really looked in to his soul for a solution, to decide if he really could do it, and then came out fighting again. I think that is a huge step forwards for him.

Petch said he thought it was better Andy had to fight to win. He said that way no one could take anything away from it, it couldn't be considered a fluke.

In the immediate aftermath on Sky, you could see Andy getting in to a bit of a pickle because he couldn't find his watch! Obviously Rado are one of his sponsors and he must have realised he would need to wear the watch to lift the trophy - that's quite something to think about when you've just won your first major and you are shattered - but once Kim told him where it was he was fine lol.

Andy said on Sky that he lost a toe nail during the match. It sounds as if that would hurt, ouch!

No, thanks for that tj as not heard Andy hardly at all on Canadian tv.   No wonder he took his shoes off!
Just read a match analysis on bbc website which made the v good point that the other big 3 had only to beat lower ranked players to win their maiden slams [whereas Andy has done it against one of the top 3 and someone who was invincible last year].  About to run out of credit but hope to sign in again some time as can't keep away at such a momentous time!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #145 on: September 11, 2012, 11:57 PM »

I ready every word, Nigel. It was brilliant.
I think most folks are in sensory overload right now, including Andy.. so please don't fret about the readership. Need time to wallow and digest. It's all good.
Now put that in your cigar and smoke it. Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #146 on: September 12, 2012, 12:03 AM »

All my pent up emotions came out after watching Head's tribute to Andy on winning the USO.

God, I love Andy and tennis to death! We used to say Novak-Andy is the future. Well, I say, the future is now Smile
Great video.  By now though I've got no emotions left.  I'm drained!

I've been amazed by the coverage in the papers and on the internet. It's heartwarming to see how pleased everyone is for him.
Even the BBC did a huge piece on him as their top story on the late evening news.  Amazing!

Where did he get the energy from?  He must have been pretty whacked after nearly 5 hours on court and the match wouldn't have finished until 9 pm EDT, and then there was the presentation ceremony, so by the time he'd finished with his post-match routines - interviews, ice bath, physio, etc - it must have been pushing midnight.  Incredible stamina, but that's what their training is all about - yet my Dad used to keep telling me tennis was for wimps! Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #147 on: September 12, 2012, 12:45 AM »

Did anyone see the Channel 4 news report? It went to Dunblane and asked all the children who they'd like to be when they're older.

All of them said Andy Murray and then the last child, who looked the arrogant type, said Roger Federer lmao
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #148 on: September 12, 2012, 01:03 AM »

..asked all the children who they'd like to be when they're older.

All of them said Andy Murray and then the last child, who looked the arrogant type, said Roger Federer lmao

Fed's kids... not so much.

* feds kids.jpg (11.67 KB, 267x189 - viewed 214 times.)
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #149 on: September 12, 2012, 01:04 AM »

Did anyone see the Channel 4 news report? It went to Dunblane and asked all the children who they'd like to be when they're older.

lol  Nice one!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 29 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »