Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Magnificent Murray ends 76 years of hurt 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Magnificent Murray ends 76 years of hurt  (Read 11699 times)
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #360 on: September 19, 2012, 11:21 AM »

I absolutely agree that he wore Nole out in the first two sets.  I am sure this was part of the game plan as it was at the AO only this time it worked as Andy himself was fitter.  The 5th set was a joy to behold.  The wind was a help in the first 2 sets as Andy is probably one of the best if not the best in windy conditions.  I rem,ember 2 years ago at Toronto he coped better than anyone in extreme winds.  Probably all the practise in Scotland.

Maybe, but he was routed by Nadal at Indian Wells a few years back in a windy final after beating Federer easily in less windy conditions in the semis. I think Scotland is more indoors than outdoors in difficult conditions.
What Andy has that Novak doesnt really is versatility and a better tactical awareness of what must be done. Novak is a very rythymic player that doesnt like uneveness. In my opinion the better player won through & both were equally disadvantaged by the conditions with an almost equal number of UE. Andy's serve was mostly neutralised so i dont agree that Andy got away with much in the wind.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #361 on: September 20, 2012, 07:31 AM »

I did not that he always wins in windy conditions but as you will see from the comments over the years and particularly at this years USO that the conditions were more suited to Andy's game than others.  As for indoor courts I think that may be now we have more but I am sure when Andy was training in his youth there were not very many and certainly none in Dunblane.  We saw from Nole's match on the Saturday that the wind does not suit his play but in calmer weather he came out and played much better against Ferrer.  
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #362 on: September 20, 2012, 12:10 PM »

because my sky failed "due to a technical fault" to record the match i only have the highlights. Have searched everwhere for the whole thing can anyone help, would be happy to buy a recording.
IP Logged
PETRA

Observe time and opportunity.

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #363 on: September 20, 2012, 12:50 PM »

Tessie I have the same problem.  I set Sky to record the Murry/Berdych match and the final because we were away on holiday.  It recorded the women's final, F1 practise sessions and the race which was for my husband 'cos he is a F1 fan but not the tennis I wanted.  We were in New York so caught snippets of both matches as we saw the sights.  I could have stayed in the hotel bedroom to watch but it would have been too stressful, I was so nervous about both but it was quite moving to find out he had won from the rolling news board in Times Square as we walked back to our hotel after a meal.  The bar manager knew I was a tennis  and  Andy fan and gave me a glass of champagne to celebrate.  So nice of them as I have put a bottle in the fridge at the beginning of every season for the last 6 years.  There are some clips of the final on Youtube.     
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #364 on: September 20, 2012, 01:07 PM »

Tessie and Petra. The poster named Laundry kindly posted this in the Video thread. To save you searching there, here is the link.

And yes.. it's the entire match. Enjoy. Smile

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #365 on: September 20, 2012, 01:15 PM »

^If it doesn't work then go to page 119 in the Videos thread, look up teejay's reply to laundry on Sept 14th, and you will see the link there.
You should be able to watch it by clicking onto that link.
[ Last edit by scotnadian September 20, 2012, 02:18 PM ] IP Logged
PETRA

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #366 on: September 20, 2012, 01:39 PM »

Thank you so much.  I can now do the holiday ironing and watch the final at the same time which was my original intention.  I notice you are from Toronto.  We made a day visit there this holiday.  Had lunch at the CN Tower Restaurant.  Scary ride, super lunch and great views.  You have a beautiful city.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #367 on: September 20, 2012, 04:04 PM »

Thankyou scotnadian  you,ve made my day
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #368 on: September 20, 2012, 05:29 PM »

Tessie and Petra. The poster named Laundry kindly posted this in the Video thread. To save you searching there, here is the link.

And yes.. it's the entire match. Enjoy. Smile

Thanks. yay  I knew it was on the Video thread somewhere but hadn't got round to looking.  And if anyone only wants to watch the final set, that starts at 4:00. Smile
IP Logged
PETRA

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #369 on: September 20, 2012, 06:05 PM »

Thanks. yay  I knew it was on the Video thread somewhere but hadn't got round to looking.  And if anyone only wants to watch the final set, that starts at 4:00. Smile
Stuff the ironing, I watched the final set this afternoon.  I had half watched the first 2 sets in the hotel and left to go for a meal knowing Andy wouldn't salvage the 3rd.  The table next to me in the resaurant where we ate consisted of several American guys and 2 had been to Super Saturday as a perk.  They had wanted to see Dojokvic and Serena but had really only seen Murry/Berdych   We started a conversation and eventually they conceded Murray was awsome and brought up coverage of the 4th set on a laptop.  After the break by Andy in the 5th they had to leave.  We were only 5 minutes walk from our hotel but the waiter on discovering we  were, as we declared from Newcastle, insisted on us tasting several American beers and ales to compare them to North East drinks.  I only drink red wine and congnac (champagne when Andy wins Grand Slam and Olympics) husband drinks red wine and malt whisky so it was lost on us.  I just wanted to get back to the hotel to see the end of the match. We didn't manage it but saw the result on the rolling news board at Times Square.  I'll admit to shedding a tear as I first saw him play as a boy in the very late 90's and have tried to follow his progress since.  He is a credit to G.B.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #370 on: September 20, 2012, 06:10 PM »

Aileen, does that suggest you've watched that last set a lot? I've watched it so many times it almost makes me blush to admit it lol.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #371 on: September 21, 2012, 12:36 AM »

Aileen, does that suggest you've watched that last set a lot? I've watched it so many times it almost makes me blush to admit it lol.
I'm the one who should be blushing!  I've watched the last game over and over but so far have only looked at highlights of that set, and indeed the whole match.  This is about to rectified, especially as I chickened out of watching the 1st set until it was 5-5, although I might skip sets 3 and 4 - don't want to be reminded of the horrible sick feeling I had in my stomach then.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #372 on: September 21, 2012, 09:19 AM »

I'm the one who should be blushing!  I've watched the last game over and over but so far have only looked at highlights of that set, and indeed the whole match.  This is about to rectified, especially as I chickened out of watching the 1st set until it was 5-5, although I might skip sets 3 and 4 - don't want to be reminded of the horrible sick feeling I had in my stomach then.

Lol. I sat and watched the entire highlights last night. Up until then I'd rewatched the fifth set and the last game.

I still think I did well to watch the match on the night. I was just completely convinced it was Andy's time, even when he lost the two sets lead. I just had this weird feeling he wouldn't let it go. I'm glad I was right lol.

Aileen, if you haven't seen it, check out the tie-break in the first set. If that doesn't go down as the best ever tie-break in a major final I will eat my hat! Even if you have seen it it's worth seeing again lol.

The thing that strikes me now is the way Andy was pushing Djokovic around early on. I know Andy has often said that you need to take Djokovic's legs away, but he did it brilliantly in those first couple of sets, which helped later. I'm also struck by how calm Andy seemed in the fifth set, especially in serving it out. I think it was amazing to see him during Djokovic's medical time out, just calmly hitting the ball against the back boards there. I swear he was the calmest person in the place! Speaking for myself, I was bawling from 5-2 in the fifth and didn't stop until he'd lifted the trophy!
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
Challenger Level

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #373 on: September 21, 2012, 01:28 PM »

TJ and Aileen, for your information, I have watched the 1st set fantastic tie-break and the entire 5th set umpteen times and I never tire of doing so. It is so much of an obsession with me that my wife (who adores Andy) decries that we are missing so much other items on the tv.

Incidentally, I have just revisited Andy's semi-final match against Djokovic in the Olympics. What a coincidence that Jake ???? was also the chair umpire in that match. I also noticed that Andy was playing with Djokovic in much the same way he did in the USO final, although to a lesser degree. This was obviously a practise for the final unbeknown to our man.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #374 on: September 21, 2012, 01:57 PM »

Incidentally, I have just revisited Andy's semi-final match against Djokovic in the Olympics. What a coincidence that Jake ???? was also the chair umpire in that match. I also noticed that Andy was playing with Djokovic in much the same way he did in the USO final, although to a lesser degree. This was obviously a practise for the final unbeknown to our man.

That's funny, I watched the Olympic semi by way of preparation for the final of the USO. I had a feeling watching Andy beat Djokovic would be a good sign lol.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »
+ Quick Reply