Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Magnificent Murray ends 76 years of hurt 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 Go Down Reply
Author

Magnificent Murray ends 76 years of hurt

(Read 13280 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #375 on: September 21, 2012, 06:19 PM »

Lol. I sat and watched the entire highlights last night. Up until then I'd rewatched the fifth set and the last game.

I still think I did well to watch the match on the night. I was just completely convinced it was Andy's time, even when he lost the two sets lead. I just had this weird feeling he wouldn't let it go. I'm glad I was right lol.

Aileen, if you haven't seen it, check out the tie-break in the first set. If that doesn't go down as the best ever tie-break in a major final I will eat my hat! Even if you have seen it it's worth seeing again lol.

The thing that strikes me now is the way Andy was pushing Djokovic around early on. I know Andy has often said that you need to take Djokovic's legs away, but he did it brilliantly in those first couple of sets, which helped later. I'm also struck by how calm Andy seemed in the fifth set, especially in serving it out. I think it was amazing to see him during Djokovic's medical time out, just calmly hitting the ball against the back boards there. I swear he was the calmest person in the place! Speaking for myself, I was bawling from 5-2 in the fifth and didn't stop until he'd lifted the trophy!
I started watching the 1st set (live, that is) at 5-5 and that tie-break had me riveted to my laptop.  I think a bomb could have dropped nearby and I wouldn't have moved!

That final game was amazing.  If anyone wanted proof of Andy's greatly improved mental strength, that was definitely it (Djokovic should be thoroughly ashamed of himself, but in the end he did Andy a favour).  But there we were - the crowd was going wild with excitement, the comms were getting more and more wound up, I had reached the stage at which I should probably have been certified, and there was Andy on court as cool as a cucumber ...  Incredible!  My avowed mission this weekend is to finally sit down and watch that video.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #376 on: September 21, 2012, 06:35 PM »

Hi Aileen and all,

During that last game I was almost waiting for Mark Petchey to either burst in to tears or burst a blood vessel! I think his commentary in that entire fifth set was brilliant, but his excitement towards the end was lovely to hear.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #377 on: September 21, 2012, 06:52 PM »

I've listened to a clip of Jonathan Overend describing the final two points on 5 Live and he was at fever pitch (sounded more like a footie commentator than a tennis one).  When Djoko hit that return of serve wide Overend was literally screaming "He's done it!  Oh my god, he's finally done it!!!"  Beautiful music to the ears, that!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #378 on: September 21, 2012, 07:08 PM »

I've listened to a clip of Jonathan Overend describing the final two points on 5 Live and he was at fever pitch (sounded more like a footie commentator than a tennis one).  When Djoko hit that return of serve wide Overend was literally screaming "He's done it!  Oh my god, he's finally done it!!!"  Beautiful music to the ears, that!

I heard that one too, I couldn't resist having a little listen on the day after the final. Wonderful stuff!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #379 on: September 21, 2012, 07:11 PM »

I loved it so much I played it several times, even although it got me all emotional again.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #380 on: September 25, 2012, 11:04 AM »

because my sky failed "due to a technical fault" to record the match i only have the highlights. Have searched everwhere for the whole thing can anyone help, would be happy to buy a recording.

http://www.tennisdvdworld.net/us-open-2012-mens-final-murray-djokovic.html
IP Logged
Kavanaugh
Satellite Level

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #381 on: September 25, 2012, 03:20 PM »

Question - how long do you think it'll take to stop having these 'pinch-me' moments of OMG he WON!?!!  I still find that frequently each day it's a cause of a secret grin even on the most horrible busy work days (my new wallpaper of Andy kissing the US Open trophy probably has something to do with that though, in fairness) - but I can't think of much else that has had me this happy for this prolonged a time.  Absolutely loving it and I can still see this year's US Open title being a source of pride and happiness for a long time to come - whether he wins any more Slams in the year ahead, it's things like knowing early next September he'll be coming back to Flushing Meadows as the defending champion just have me dancing an internal jig. Smile  And the added pleasure of hearing him always referred to from now on as 'US Open and Olympic gold medallist Andy Murray' ... well, life is bloody good, that's all I'm saying. Smile
[ Last edit by Kavanaugh September 25, 2012, 03:26 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #382 on: September 25, 2012, 04:07 PM »

Question - how long do you think it'll take to stop having these 'pinch-me' moments of OMG he WON!?!! 

Hi Kavanaugh and all,

Oh, I don't think it will ever wear off lol.

The amazing thing for me is that I still don't feel remotely surprised. It's not so much a sense of 'Oh my God he won!' as 'He bloody well did it!', which I think is different lol. I don't know if I'd call it fate, or really say that it was written in the stars, but I do think it was meant to be. I really do think the way he fought with Lopez and the way he came back against Cilic, to win in four, when in the past a match like that might have gone to five, just speaks volumes for him. Somehow I just knew that if it came down to a fight Andy would be able to dig deep and find it within himself to come through, and he did.

I'm genuinely optimistic about the future for Andy now. I just don't see any going back. Sure, there are bound to be bad days, matches when try as he might, and he always does, he can't get it going (they all have days like that), but I really do believe that the only way is up now. He might not go on some sort of Djokovic like run, but who really cares about that? I just don't see any way that he will be a one slam wonder. I think he's simply too good for that.

The thing that really does choke me is when I think about what Andy has had to go through to get to this. Losing four major finals can not be easy to deal with. Lesser people would probably have given up, accepted it was their lot not to win the big titles, and would probably have taken their foot off the gas before beginning a slide down the rankings. Andy has done exactly the opposite. Sure, he's had wobbles, most obviously, I supose, after the loses in Australia, but when it has come to the majors each year, he has shown up again and again, and put himself right in the mix. That takes courage. During the final at the USO Mark Petchey hit the nail on the head. In talking about Andy late on in the match, I think it was in the fifth set, he said that courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it's that little voice in your head that tells you to get up and keep fighting, or words to that effect. It's dead right, and it's exactly what Andy has done, and exactly what made me believe that if he kept kicking and screaming at the door, it would only be a matter of time before it opened to him. Well, boy has he opened it now!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #383 on: September 25, 2012, 05:20 PM »

..it's a cause of a secret grin..
yes I know exactly what you mean, Kavanaugh.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #384 on: September 25, 2012, 05:31 PM »

The thing that really does choke me is when I think about what Andy has had to go through to get to this. Losing four major finals can not be easy to deal with. Lesser people would probably have given up, accepted it was their lot not to win the big titles, and would probably have taken their foot off the gas before beginning a slide down the rankings. Andy has done exactly the opposite.
yes teejay. We now know that Andy himself doubted it would ever happen, but still he continued with the grunt work and persevered. All this is the face of an often less-than-friendly media, and at the risk of failure on a large stage yet again.

Courage under fire, indeed.

He is an outstanding role model, not just in the tennis world or the sports world, but as an ordinary human being who never gives up.
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #385 on: September 25, 2012, 06:51 PM »

yes teejay. We now know that Andy himself doubted it would ever happen, but still he continued with the grunt work and persevered. All this is the face of an often less-than-friendly media, and at the risk of failure on a large stage yet again.

He is an outstanding role model, not just in the tennis world or the sports world, but as an ordinary human being who never gives up.

Good posting!

I am still so pleased for Andy. Like a lot of you when I think about it or someone else brings it up it brings a smile to my face (gosh that sounds cheesy). I think Kevin Spacey has been quoted as saying he had never wanted anything so much for somebody else and I would completely agree with that.

Nigel, I reread the match report a couple of days ago much more carefully than I did the morning after the final. It really is an excellent report. Having seen the highlights since I now have something to relate it to. Thank you for the time everyone on the site puts into these for folk like me who are too tight to increase their TV package or upgrade their broadband usage limits! Much appreciated.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #386 on: September 25, 2012, 10:06 PM »

I absolutely agree that he wore Nole out in the first two sets.  I am sure this was part of the game plan as it was at the AO only this time it worked as Andy himself was fitter.  The 5th set was a joy to behold.  The wind was a help in the first 2 sets as Andy is probably one of the best if not the best in windy conditions.  I rem,ember 2 years ago at Toronto he coped better than anyone in extreme winds.  Probably all the practise in Scotland.
Actually he hasn't always played well in windy conditions - remember Indian Wells when Rafa beat him easily when Andy didn't cope with the wind. I think he's taught himself to deal better with wind and I think he prepared better for the wind than Nole did.
Sorry should have waited before jumping in as see tcbm made same point about IW.
I listened to JO from the BBC website and it nearly had me  again he was so genuinely excited and happy.   Would have liked to have heard Petchey.   
I'm just sorry to have missed all the media coverage while I was away but what a start to a holiday eh?   
[ Last edit by Ruthie September 25, 2012, 10:13 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #387 on: September 26, 2012, 01:50 AM »

Why do you think I chose what I did below my avatar? Smile  Andy must often have felt fear yet he kept going and going until he conquered it.  There were times in his career when he could simply have given up, but he didn't.  I'd be naive if I said he would never feel nervous or fearful again during the rest of his career, but at least he knows now that he CAN master it.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #388 on: September 26, 2012, 11:22 AM »

I agree Andy seems to be more settled. I am glad he had a talk to himself when out for a toilet break. We all know he can win it was just a matter of time. He has become more determined and courageous in going for his shots. I think he was quite dumbfounded when he won he just could not believe it. You have won your first slam Andy and we all know you will have more. Well done Andy 2012 is your time good luck for the rest of the year.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Exultant Murray ends 76 years of hurt « Reply #389 on: September 26, 2012, 01:48 PM »

Thought you might like to see this from daily news digest I get, which arrived while I was on holiday.  Nice to see such recognition on the news pages of Andy's achievement:

3.  ANDY MURRAY: The Daily Telegraph's Ian Chandband says no one should underplay the magnitude of this achievement. The incredible fact is that British sportsmen have scaled practically every other peak worth climbing since Perry reigned: we have had Olympic 100 metres champions, Open Championship and Masters winners, World F1 champions, an undisputed heavyweight world champion and World Cup winners at football and rugby. In The Times Magnus Linklater says his victory at the US Open was not just a piece of tennis history, it was a personal triumph, the best possible riposte to those critics who claimed that he lacked the inner strength to be a champion. The Independent's Matthew N! orman believes that if the closely contested Grand Slam final has no equal for sustained, excruciating stress, no tennis player can ever have endured the pressure Murray must have felt as he came out for that final set, knowing he would never recover from the disappointment and resulting sense of accursedness if he lost it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »