Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Federer outclasses substandard Murray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 Go Down Reply
Author

Federer outclasses substandard Murray

(Read 9594 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #225 on: November 15, 2012, 01:03 PM »

Hi Ruthie!  Yes the small matter of Olympic gold, and Shanghai, has already been mentioned as a possible reason for SmugFed fans disliking Andy so much, and another equally plausible suggestion is that these days there's so much talk in the media of a Murray/Djokovic rivalry and supremacy whilst at the same time there have been thinly-veiled suggestions that their beloved hero is (whisper it!) on the downward slide.

I understand from another MW member who was at the final, that Djoko too was on the receiving end of much of the similar treatment dished out to Andy.  He wasn't booed but his errors were frequently applauded and spectators were calling out at inappropriate moments - something which caused this umpire on 2 or 3 occasions to request silence during play.  Of course Serbian fans aren't exactly noted for their quiet support (remember the time Fed turned on a group of them during a match and told them to 'shut up'?) and there was a considerable contingent of them there too, so that could have been a contributory factor as far as noise went.

I (thankfully) missed Andy's match although I did watch the final, but with 'mute' on for most of it because Messrs Henman, Castle and Petchey were irritating me, so I can't vouch for any of this but I can well believe that His Smugship's fans aren't exactly in love with Djoko either, especially as he's toppled Fed off his No.1 perch, almost certainly permanently now.
Ah didn't pick that up in the final watching on tv Aileen though was so tired I didn't watch the 2nd set when it might have got worse.  Yes you're right they probably don't like all the talk of an Andy-Nole rivalry dominating the game.  Perhaps this is all the last gasp of the smugfed fans who know the dying of the light is coming sooner or later but simply can't accept it.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #226 on: November 15, 2012, 05:55 PM »

I'm re-posting Aileen's, mine & Craig's video here (Craig's is much better Smile ) in case some folks missed it on the video thread.

This is the day following his defeat. Looks pretty chillaxed and happy to me, and surely that's what we all want for him? To move on.

It hadn't occurred to me until watching this video that I have never heard Judy speak before.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #227 on: November 15, 2012, 06:05 PM »

It hadn't occurred to me until watching this video that I have never heard Judy speak before.

Exactly, I was surprised by the way she spoke for some reason though I had never heard her before  confused
She seems to be very soothing actually...
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #228 on: November 15, 2012, 06:34 PM »

Ah didn't pick that up in the final watching on tv Aileen though was so tired I didn't watch the 2nd set when it might have got worse.  Yes you're right they probably don't like all the talk of an Andy-Nole rivalry dominating the game.  Perhaps this is all the last gasp of the smugfed fans who know the dying of the light is coming sooner or later but simply can't accept it.

I watched the 1st set of the final just last night and there were times when Federer fans cheered Federer on so much that the Umpire had to calm them down, but it had nothing to do with Nole. I did not notice any disrespect on their part except for one time, when Nole kicked the ball as his ball was called out and he was slightly booed because of it, but it died down very quickly. There were lots of cheering from the British crowd as well as you could tell the way they pronounce "Roger", there’s a very distinctive sound to it. They cheered "we love you, Roger" on time and time again and there were a few laughs after that.

I am going to watch the 2nd set tonight. I know that Federer is very popular with the French people as well and Nadal is always the victim there, but that’s understood, one because Nadal has always Federer’s number and second, Nadal is not from France.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean November 15, 2012, 06:54 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #229 on: November 15, 2012, 06:51 PM »

Yes there is something particularly puke-inducing EJ when I hear what are usually pretty upper class sounding English voices shouting 'We love you Roger'.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #230 on: November 15, 2012, 06:55 PM »

Yes there is something particularly puke-inducing EJ when I hear what are usually pretty upper class sounding English voices shouting 'We love you Roger'.

You as well?

When they do it I always get the rather alarming image of ladies of a certain age throwing their knickers at him in my head.

the Smug one as Tom Jones, whatever next........!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #231 on: November 15, 2012, 06:58 PM »

Actually it tends to be blokes who shout that out tj.  An equally alarming image if they started throwing their pants at him.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #232 on: November 15, 2012, 07:02 PM »

Yes, that's where I was getting at. I found it disgusting. I love Andy to no end but I think during in a match, I'd stay quiet simply because the other guy may feel unloved and no reason for me to make him feel that way. I find it completely mannerless.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #233 on: November 15, 2012, 07:04 PM »

Actually it tends to be blokes who shout that out tj.  An equally alarming image if they started throwing their pants at him.

EEEK!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #234 on: November 16, 2012, 02:15 AM »

I know that Federer is very popular with the French people as well and Nadal is always the victim there, but that’s understood, one because Nadal has always Federer’s number and second, Nadal is not from France.
I was sure Nadal had once been booed by a French crowd and a Google search came up with this interesting article -
http://www.thetennisspace.com/top-10-occasions-that-french-crowds-turned-nasty/
and on two of these occasions Andy has been the one who has incurred their wrath, in particular at the 2011 Monte Carlo Masters when he took full advantage of an injured Gilles Simon.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #235 on: November 16, 2012, 02:50 AM »

I was sure Nadal had once been booed by a French crowd and a Google search came up with this interesting article -
http://www.thetennisspace.com/top-10-occasions-that-french-crowds-turned-nasty/
and on two of these occasions Andy has been the one who has incurred their wrath, in particular at the 2011 Monte Carlo Masters when he took full advantage of an injured Gilles Simon.

I sometimes wonder if Andy's Wimbledon match against Gasquet in 2008 plays any part in the French reaction to Andy.

I think anyone that watched that match believed the Wimbledon dream for Andy was over when he was 2 sets and a break down. I know I did.  Some of the shots Andy made that day were breathtaking. The one to clinch the 3rd set was out of this world.  No doubt the crowd were caught up in the moment BUT Gasquet was treated horribly. To boo him for taking a toilet break was just awful. As delighted as I was for Andy I really felt sorry for Richard. I'm sure he was glad when that match finished.

When I watched Nadal v Hewitt a few years ago at Roland Garrod there were horrible chants from sections of the crowd. They were calling Rafa a 'peasant'. Really awful. 
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #236 on: November 16, 2012, 07:03 AM »

@ Aileen
Almost the best thing about being there, well did say "almost" was  no blooming commentators.
 yay
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #237 on: November 16, 2012, 08:23 AM »

Some stupid and disgusting woman tweeted that Andy was flying to Dubai with his ugly girlfriend Kim, and hoped she'd have liposuction while there, what is the matter with some people. She's probably jealous of Kim's looks,figure and talent. I do think that such tweets should be blocked as they are abusive.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #238 on: November 16, 2012, 08:45 AM »

I sometimes wonder if Andy's Wimbledon match against Gasquet in 2008 plays any part in the French reaction to Andy.

I think anyone that watched that match believed the Wimbledon dream for Andy was over when he was 2 sets and a break down. I know I did.  Some of the shots Andy made that day were breathtaking. The one to clinch the 3rd set was out of this world.  No doubt the crowd were caught up in the moment BUT Gasquet was treated horribly. To boo him for taking a toilet break was just awful. As delighted as I was for Andy I really felt sorry for Richard. I'm sure he was glad when that match finished.

I don't remember Gasquet being booed in that match. That seems pretty unllike a Wimbledon crowd. I might have to watch the DVD again. Any excuse lol.

I do remember that shot of Andy's to take the third set. Unbelievable! I'll never forget his reaction too, not ever! I don't think the Pimm's brigade had ever seen anything like it from a Brit! It was a fantastic comeback that, even I thought he'd lost it that day.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #239 on: November 16, 2012, 10:21 AM »

Some stupid and disgusting woman tweeted that Andy was flying to Dubai with his ugly girlfriend Kim, and hoped she'd have liposuction while there, what is the matter with some people. She's probably jealous of Kim's looks,figure and talent. I do think that such tweets should be blocked as they are abusive.

I saw that tweet, Michelle, and thought it was tongue in cheek - I thought she was actually underlining how pretty Kim is.  Pehaps I was wrong - what did other people think?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »