Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Federer outclasses substandard Murray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 20 Go Down Reply
Author

Federer outclasses substandard Murray

(Read 11029 times)
daverambo
Challenger Level

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #45 on: November 12, 2012, 08:58 AM »

Well,  Wimbledon tickets are usually only available to the rich and to members of tennis clubs.  The latter at least know about court etiquette.

The WTF is open to anyone.

And therefore we have to take the bad stuff in order to get the good stuff.

I went to the first two days of the WTF for £10 a session, and got to see all of the top 8, it was wonderful and I hope I can go every year London has it. I am in the draw for Wimbledon every year and have got centre court tickets once, when it rained all day. The only other time I have got to see Andy live was in the Davis Cup which agains was amazing.

Making tennis more accessible is a good thing, even if it means some idiots get in too.
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #46 on: November 12, 2012, 09:00 AM »

You made me think of some of the people watching Wimbledon, and they neither look rich nor someone that would be a member of a tennis club, but I understand where you're coming from.

Don't assume every tennis club is like the Fulham branch of David Lloyd! Smaller local clubs are filed with people from all walks of life.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #47 on: November 12, 2012, 09:02 AM »

Glad to hear that Andy really likes Melbourne - it's a great atmosphere and very laid back. So very Australian Very Happy
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #48 on: November 12, 2012, 09:07 AM »

I heard that Fed has requested the Davis Cup tie be moved from his home town next year - doesn't want the added pressure Whistle

Oh, poor diddums.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #49 on: November 12, 2012, 09:07 AM »

So who was booing last night? Brits or ignorant foreign Frauderer fans? Probably French.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #50 on: November 12, 2012, 09:11 AM »

Don't assume every tennis club is like the Fulham branch of David Lloyd! Smaller local clubs are filed with people from all walks of life.

I'm sure they are. I wish that I had tried to get Wimbledon tickets whilst in the UK. I know it's a lottery, but never realised how it worked. Being on MW educated me.

Friend that got us tickets for Oz had to become a member of Australian Open to be amongst the first allocations. They had different levels of membership giving you first choice of seats. We were in the third tier. We have similar seats to what we had previously, so we are happy.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #51 on: November 12, 2012, 09:15 AM »

oh  please  the French and the British crowds  have always been are known for their lack of respect   for  their lack of enthusiasm to some extent,  especially in tennis.   They do not have a great mentality

oh  look  there comes another great upcoming British/French  athlete.  lets all abuse at him, build up the hype  and shoot him down again
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #52 on: November 12, 2012, 09:20 AM »

On Armistice Day I expected blood, sweat and tears, but, instead, Andrew Murray the boy turned up and displayed the cussing, racket smashing persona I truly thought he had left behind. He tried to belittle Federer with the silly drop shots, which badly backfired on him and was duly punished for it.  I felt embarrassed.  I suspect Federer felt insulted by them and it galvanised him to teach the A1 student another lesson - don't attempt to usurp the master with schoolboy pranks. 

Andy can certainly forget about SPOTY, even though he has had an exceptional year of success.  Like it or not, he has to work on his PR and even though tennis is a one-person sport, he does have an obligation to the public.  I liken him to Victoria Beckham - never smiles and fails to connect with the public, with the exception of his recent visit to Dunblane when perhaps the real Andy Murray turned up.  We want more of this, please.   Djokovic and Tsonga are always smiling and chatty and have the confidence and willingness to look the interviewer and/or the camera in the eye;  Del Potro was lovely with the kids who accompanied him onto court;  like it or not, Federer spent ages with the fans after his matches.  Murray needs to win over the British public and has to drastically change the image he portrays.  He should get some lessons from fellow British icons Beckham, McIlroy and others who are so adored by their fellow Brits.  I admire talent outside the UK, but have absolutely no connection with them. 

I know the majority of this forum hates the Daily Mail followers, but this is what one of them says "What does Murray have to do to win crowds over? Easy: stop those disgusting faces he likes to pull, be nice and smily, look people in the eye and treat people with respect. The press conference prior to Federer-Murray match was appalling: he looked as if he wanted to be somewhere else, no smiles, no nothing. This is part of your job, man! Wake up and be nice."  My sister and several of my friends say the same things and I'm forever having to try to convince them that he's nice really.  It's time Andy convinced them and didn't leave it to me and the rest of us.

I'm a Brit and Murray's a Brit and for that reason I will always support him and passionately want him to win, but I can't stand it when he turns up impersonating Harry Enfield's Kevin.  I do hope that 2013 sees a complete maker-over and a winning streak with dignity, sportsmanship and fun, fun, fun.  Lighten up!!
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #53 on: November 12, 2012, 09:27 AM »

Unimpressed when the crowd cheered Murray's double fault.

Yeah, that was way too much for me to take it.
Even I don't cheer when Fed makes a DF.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #54 on: November 12, 2012, 09:28 AM »

On Armistice Day I expected blood, sweat and tears, but, instead, Andrew Murray the boy turned up and displayed the cussing, racket smashing persona I truly thought he had left behind. He tried to belittle Federer with the silly drop shots, which badly backfired on him and was duly punished for it.  I felt embarrassed.  I suspect Federer felt insulted by them and it galvanised him to teach the A1 student another lesson - don't attempt to usurp the master with schoolboy pranks.  

Andy can certainly forget about SPOTY, even though he has had an exceptional year of success.  Like it or not, he has to work on his PR and even though tennis is a one-person sport, he does have an obligation to the public.  I liken him to Victoria Beckham - never smiles and fails to connect with the public, with the exception of his recent visit to Dunblane when perhaps the real Andy Murray turned up.  We want more of this, please.   Djokovic and Tsonga are always smiling and chatty and have the confidence and willingness to look the interviewer and/or the camera in the eye;  Del Potro was lovely with the kids who accompanied him onto court;  like it or not, Federer spent ages with the fans after his matches.  Murray needs to win over the British public and has to drastically change the image he portrays.  He should get some lessons from fellow British icons Beckham, McIlroy and others who are so adored by their fellow Brits.  I admire talent outside the UK, but have absolutely no connection with them.  

I know the majority of this forum hates the Daily Mail followers, but this is what one of them says "What does Murray have to do to win crowds over? Easy: stop those disgusting faces he likes to pull, be nice and smily, look people in the eye and treat people with respect. The press conference prior to Federer-Murray match was appalling: he looked as if he wanted to be somewhere else, no smiles, no nothing. This is part of your job, man! Wake up and be nice."  My sister and several of my friends say the same things and I'm forever having to try to convince them that he's nice really.  It's time Andy convinced them and didn't leave it to me and the rest of us.

I'm a Brit and Murray's a Brit and for that reason I will always support him and passionately want him to win, but I can't stand it when he turns up impersonating Harry Enfield's Kevin.  I do hope that 2013 sees a complete maker-over and a winning streak with dignity, sportsmanship and fun, fun, fun.  Lighten up!!

yawn   confused  what a load of mince.    hammer

[ Last edit by johnkiernan35 November 12, 2012, 09:37 AM ] IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #55 on: November 12, 2012, 09:31 AM »

And where is your pseudo disgust at Nigel for having the temerity to suggest it's a bad idea?

As it turns out this is actually a planned part of the extended break, and therefore not a problem.  Never mind - but keep knee-jerking that hard and you'll end up knocking yourself out.

I read that he was taking a holiday, then spending time at home for Xmas. I assumed it was all in place of a training block. But I guess if he can still squeeze some work in somewhere, that's fine.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #56 on: November 12, 2012, 09:32 AM »

Looks like Julia Eyebrow raise.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #57 on: November 12, 2012, 09:34 AM »

Andy is right to take a break now. He openly admitted that he hasn't had a decent break for ages, so it is clearly time to rest and take stock. Maybe now he will get his head around winning the USO and the Olympic gold. People who begrudge Andy a break, insinuating that he isn't going on his usual training block, have got completely the wrong end of the stick.

I'm in no doubt at all that Andy will be back next year, raring to go and ready for it. I should also say that those who think he has experienced a dip since the USO should really open their eyes. Yes, he has lost matches, but he had match points in Japan, none of which were on his own serve. He had match points against Djokovic at the Shanghai Masters final, his second Masters final of the year against the world no.1. The loss to JJ in Paris was disappointing, but Djokovic would say losing early was disappointing too. Andy got to the semi's for what I think is only the second time or something, at the WTF. That's really not a bad dip.

Andy knew after the match that he let Federer back in. He also knew that Federer is hard to stop when he is allowed to play with freedom. I admire Andy for acknowledging where he went wrong last night. I also admire the way he immediately spoke about the best year he has ever had. However, none of that takes away from the disgraceful way that crowd behaved. It was a horrible, horrible atmosphere.

I'm never going to forget this year Andy has had. It's been remarkable. He's had tough times, but he's come back. He's overhauled his game with Lendl, and completely changed the way he approaches matches. No one could say he is too defensive now. The other thing is that Andy seems to have grown in confidence in his dealings with people. Before the match last night I was quite taken by how he conducted himself in his pre-match interview. He looked the interviewer right in the eye, didn't hesitate with his responses and seemed completely comfortable. Truth be told, he's been the same all the week. He seems comfortable in his own skin. I hope that continues and isn't erased by the mindless fools at the O2 last night who clearly have no idea how to behave.

IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #58 on: November 12, 2012, 09:34 AM »

Looks like Julia Eyebrow raise.

lmao   
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #59 on: November 12, 2012, 09:34 AM »

OMG! Please don't compare him to Posh fainting I can't stand that woman and don't believe that Andy's anything like her but I do think that Simon Fuller and his team need to start earning their money. However, I think that Ivan will have a different view - he really doesn't give a stuff about that side of things. It's about winning trophies, the rest will or will not follow.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 20 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »