Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Federer outclasses substandard Murray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 20 Go Down Reply
Author

Federer outclasses substandard Murray

(Read 12324 times)
psychological tennis
Challenger Level

Koala's are cute and cuddly

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #75 on: November 12, 2012, 11:11 AM »

Sometimes I do wish he would stop all the negative behaviour he exhibits on court, but then at other times i think, he is being true to himself and so i conclude that's why i love Andy, because he keeps it real. There is no slip of the mask or veneer. what you see is what you get. Has he reset himself back to his default behaviour, my conclusion is that he has not. From my observations of Andy and other tennis players (female also). Andy is no worse than a lot of them when it comes to negative antics on court. Andy is not Nole, Roger, Rafa, Tomas or Serena come to think. He is Andy, for all his little idiosyncrasies and sometimes nonchalant behaviour he is always true to himself.  He openly admits that he lets himself down occasionally. It takes courage to introspect honestly about ones self and to then change. We all know change is never easy to accept. I believe Andy is heading in the right direction. Should he worry about what other people think of him? Namely the British public. Arguably, some would say yes he should, i say to a degree he needs to be his own person but at the same time understand that he is in a unique position (which i am sure he does already) and because of this he is afforded many privileges and so needs to be even more self aware of how he portrays himself both on and off the tennis courts. Its not an easy thing to do in the heat of battle, while i believe his interviews have improved immensely. I now find him engaging and at ease when he is in front of the camera.

However, that said, Andy should not change what he does or who he is just to suit the whim of others. This would be detrimental to his own understanding of himself. From what i witness of Andy on court his outbursts are signs of his internal frustrations and battles. Andy knows he can play exquisite tennis, so when it does not happen for him he understandably gets upset with himself. Should he be trying to manage these difficult moments better? Possibly. But who 's to say he is not already trying to do just that? None of us know what goes on in the mind of others. As outsiders, we use conjecture, assumptions and our own biases to propagate various theories that fit nicely with our own model of the world and how things should be in that world. We would all do well to stop trying to superimpose our model of the world onto Andy's model. I for one have no expectations of Andy, only that he be the best he can be for himself. If The British public don't like what they see, don't watch his matches or follow him on twitter. Just as we are all trying find our own paths in this world, Andy is trying to find his own path in the crazy world that is The ATP TOUR. He lost a match last night, no one died!

Rest up Andy you deserve it.  hug
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #76 on: November 12, 2012, 11:12 AM »

Thanks Ruthie for this first-hand report from the 02. Somehow I cannot really understand this lack of support or at least respect for a British player, let alone this England Scotland thing ( as I am not British). But obviously what you observed in the arena is very much true of all these Fed followers bathing themselves in his light of glory. And your post, Clementine nearly brought me to tears and reflected my feelings.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #77 on: November 12, 2012, 11:16 AM »

Not sure I agree with your comment there, Nigel from Lancs. wink
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #78 on: November 12, 2012, 11:19 AM »

Thanks Ruthie for this first-hand report from the 02. Somehow I cannot really understand this lack of support or at least respect for a British player, let alone this England Scotland thing ( as I am not British). But obviously what you observed in the arena is very much true of all these Fed followers bathing themselves in his light of glory. And your post, Clementine nearly brought me to tears and reflected my feelings.

I can just about hack the hysterical shrieking for Fed, but it's the booing that ***** me right off.

Not sure that this is an England-Scotland thing - it's just sycophantic Fed worship which goes on everywhere he plays. I didn't expect it to be so bad in London though. Hope Djoko wins tonight.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #79 on: November 12, 2012, 11:35 AM »

Sometimes I do wish he would stop all the negative behaviour he exhibits on court,

The point is though, he wasn't negative. He tapped one racquet on the ground once, and then replaced it, on his own serve. Not once did he rant and rave as he might in the past. Not once did he turn to his box and berate himself in their direction. I didn't hear much in the way of bad language, not that you could hear much anyway, above the baying crowd. Andy behaved with maturity and integrity in a tough situation. I'd have told Federer and the crowd what they could do with themselves. Andy did not. That is to his credit.

Let's not turn this into an analysis of Andy's on court behaviour, because that is not what last night was about. The crowd was on Andy's back before a ball had been struck. They simply wanted Federer to win and they wanted to show Andy up in the process.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #80 on: November 12, 2012, 11:48 AM »

Andy should have told the umpire he was sure the roof was leaking and that it wasn't worth the risk carrying on.    The crowd seem to love cheats like that.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #81 on: November 12, 2012, 11:49 AM »

Too often when Andy loses a point he castigates himself.  By contrast Djokovic taps his racket and acknowledges his opponent's winning shot and moves on, although I concede that he does lose the plot occasionally.  Andy transmits negativity to his brain and I had hoped Lendl would eradicate this permanently, but it seems that old habits die hard.  Andy needs to learn the Law of Attraction and there's nothing better than being nice to people and for them to be nice to you in return.  Being disliked is not a good feeling, no matter how unbothered you pretend to be.  Smile and be engaging Andy - it costs nothing and it's infectious.

Do you watch the same matches as me FCR?  I have witnessed Djoko lambast himself, shout at his box and smash racquets on many occasions but he doesn't seem to get the same amount of abuse for doing so as Andy does.  By all accounts, Andy is very nice to people and extremely respectful - he isn't isn't the natural showman that Nole is but that doesn't make him a bad person!
IP Logged
psychological tennis
Challenger Level

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #82 on: November 12, 2012, 11:51 AM »

The point is though, he wasn't negative. He tapped one racquet on the ground once, and then replaced it, on his own serve. Not once did he rant and rave as he might in the past. Not once did he turn to his box and berate himself in their direction. I didn't hear much in the way of bad language, not that you could hear much anyway, above the baying crowd. Andy behaved with maturity and integrity in a tough situation. I'd have told Federer and the crowd what they could do with themselves. Andy did not. That is to his credit.

Let's not turn this into an analysis of Andy's on court behaviour, because that is not what last night was about. The crowd was on Andy's back before a ball had been struck. They simply wanted Federer to win and they wanted to show Andy up in the process.

Teejay thank you for your comments re my post, however you have singled out one line and thus changed its meaning.  I was generalizing about the negative behaviour and was not solely referring to last nights match. I too agree when you say Andy behaved with maturity, that actually is the unwritten point of my post. How i have observed Andy changing as a person from when he first joined the ATP tour.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #83 on: November 12, 2012, 12:04 PM »

Was going to make the same point as tj PT.   I know seeing it from half way up the arena it's not as easy to see facial expressions etc as on tv but there was nothing in Andy's behaviour last night to criticise in my view and there has been little in recent matches either.  Yes occasionally there's something of a relapse, just as say there is with Nole too.  I'm glad therefore you've now written the unwritten point of your post as I'd not got it either!
PT I'd be interested in your take on what it must have been like for Andy last night.  He'd been talking alot about how having the crowd behind him helps him in a home event and he then faced this braying mob the majority of whom were against him. Do you agree with me that his could have so deflated him as to affect his game and lead to all those unforced errors and a flatness which you'd not expect in such a big match?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #84 on: November 12, 2012, 12:06 PM »

Andy should have told the umpire he was sure the roof was leaking and that it wasn't worth the risk carrying on.    The crowd seem to love cheats like that.

roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #85 on: November 12, 2012, 12:26 PM »

Not sure I agree with your comment there, Nigel from Lancs. wink

He's always popping up on there. He's an idiot.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #86 on: November 12, 2012, 12:29 PM »

Ah well.. it wasn't to be. I feel bad for Andy his game wasn't working last night, and I'm sorry for him he had to perform in such a hostile environment.
Fed didn't play well at all, but unfortunately just a bit better than Andy.
I was frankly surprised at the UE counts in the match stats: 26 for Andy but 20 for Fed. Much closer than I expected.
Andy's 2nd serve was pounced upon and devoured like dinner, and there's no winning against Fed with a 1st serve of 47%.

Poor lad probably just wants to get the hell out of Dodge now, and I don't blame him.
He deserves his well-earned vacation with Kim, and a chance to chillax and be normal.
When he returns home, hopefully his USO trophy will have arrived so he can re-live those positive moments in the best year (so far) and will bring that energy with him in the new year and next chapter in his career.  clap clap clap
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #87 on: November 12, 2012, 12:47 PM »

Excellent posts from Clementine and Ruthie and like yourselves I was absolutely disgusted with the behaviour of the ill mannered crowd at the 02 last night.  Having watched Andy play around the world over the years and never witnessed behaviour like this I now wonder is it an arrogance that is peculiar to London and the surrounding area?  I have seen Andy play live at Braehead and the support he had was fantastic and a credit to the home crowd, I cannot imagine anyone getting away with booing or 'screaming' in support of his opponent, just respectful applause.  I for one will not be applying for tickets for 02 next year if this is the type of conduct which is acceptable to the organisers, perhaps a lesson in manners may be required for those last night.  By the way Ruthie welcome to Scotland as an adopted citizen and just sorry you had to put up with that last night.
IP Logged
psychological tennis
Challenger Level

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #88 on: November 12, 2012, 12:52 PM »

PT I'd be interested in your take on what it must have been like for Andy last night.  He'd been talking alot about how having the crowd behind him helps him in a home event and he then faced this braying mob the majority of whom were against him. Do you agree with me that his could have so deflated him as to affect his game and lead to all those unforced errors and a flatness which you'd not expect in such a big match?

Hey Ruthie. That's  a difficult one, its generally acknowledged that positive crowd reinforcement at a home sporting event can help the home grown player. As Andy pointed out when he won the Olympic tennis gold, the crowd "carried him to victory". so its plausible then that the opposite could be true: That is, that negative crowd reinforcement could affect the game of a particular sportsman or woman. So i would agree with your statement that yes it is possible that Andy's game was severely affected by the hostile crowd at the O2 Arena last night. But then more questions are formed than answered when taking up this particular position (lets leave that for another day - don't want to get too deep).  wub
[ Last edit by Mark November 12, 2012, 12:57 PM ] IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #89 on: November 12, 2012, 12:54 PM »

I even admired Andy for keeping relatively calm last night facing a non-supportive crowd and making (consequently)a lot of UE. I could have expected him to explode any time, which I would have understood all too well. And hats off to his mature words in the interview about Fed's fans.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 20 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »