Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Federer outclasses substandard Murray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 20 Go Down Reply
Author

Federer outclasses substandard Murray

(Read 9934 times)
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #120 on: November 12, 2012, 04:40 PM »

The point is though, he wasn't negative. He tapped one racquet on the ground once, and then replaced it, on his own serve. Not once did he rant and rave as he might in the past. Not once did he turn to his box and berate himself in their direction. I didn't hear much in the way of bad language, not that you could hear much anyway, above the baying crowd. Andy behaved with maturity and integrity in a tough situation. I'd have told Federer and the crowd what they could do with themselves. Andy did not. That is to his credit.

Let's not turn this into an analysis of Andy's on court behaviour, because that is not what last night was about. The crowd was on Andy's back before a ball had been struck. They simply wanted Federer to win and they wanted to show Andy up in the process.

Exactly... all this Andy exhibits negative behaviour...blah blah... what garbage!!...Everytime I see Nadal, Fed, Djoko, Del Potro.... when ever they are up against it they have the look on their faces of a slapped mackerel. Ive seen all of them display emotion of smashing rackets..posturing...gesturing etc etc. People who focus on negating Andy for that... are really just the epitomy of negativity themselves.

Im Scottish...proudly(though im not even sure why Im having to state that on here) ... Im pro independence ....Im not anti british or anti english per say....just believe Scotland would do fine without any ties to a London government and a monarchy I have absolutely no interest or emotional connection to. My point being that people are people all over the world.... there are ass**oles in every country. Unfortunately for Andy and the good people of England he had a collection of ass**les acting like ass**les. I love good hearted banter between nationalities etc etc... but there is an undercurrent of dislike & opposition that has always existed between English and Scottish and/or Celtic. People can verbally dance around that to be seen as PC but that aint reality. I would love to believe that the actions and attitudes of a portion of fans at Murray's match was 'just banter' ......I just don't. I think they saw it as a chance to show spite against Andy and what he represents. All they showed me was that they are indeed ass**oles!

IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #121 on: November 12, 2012, 04:42 PM »

One good thing to come out of last night is that the reporters who were there were shocked by what went on and have written about it. This will hopefully affect those who read it and some Fed fans will be ashamed.

I'm afraid not Michelle.  You should read some of the reader comments when a reporter has dared to comment derogatorily on the Fed fans performance last night - on second thoughts don't - they would probably make you weep all over again!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #122 on: November 12, 2012, 04:43 PM »

So true.  Maybe if tennis was more popular in this country, we'd get a larger share of Brits into the O2 for these matches.  I wonder if some of the Wimbledon brigade look down on this tournament.
Well actually TD I wondered whether the Wimbledon brigade had strayed into the 02 because the Andy supporters were in my view too quiet - eg woman next to me didn't shout once and just clapped politely.  Whereas I heard some rather posh voices shouting for Roger - may well have been a refugee from SW19.
Grabcopy: give the guy (and Kim) a break. He's not taken a proper holiday for 2 years.  He's now using the extra off season to take 2 weeks off before doing some training and then coming home for xmas.  Many of us go on about him needing to take some rest so I for one am glad he is doing so. He and Lendl have worked out the training block carefully I'm sure and will be adding to it after AO for a change.   And he needs to give that back a rest from tennis.  Also he has said he won't be lying on a beach so that his body doesn't stiffen up so even on holiday he's thinking about the tennis to follow.  What a Stakhonovite you are!
I certainly don't think he's been complacent since USO but many predicted there might be a dip after achieving his lifetime ambition. Well perhaps there has been but it's not been a mega dip.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #123 on: November 12, 2012, 04:44 PM »

The behaviour of the Fed fans last night was awful, but I think we should remember they are made up of Scots, English, Welsh , Irish. I cried when I heard them. I'm a proud Welsh woman, but I was not proud to be British when Andy has to put up with what went on last night. Those of you who are Scots please remember there were Scots rooting for Fed. I really don't think Andy's problem is being a Scot but these stupid people just want to be part of the Fed bandwagon of 17 GS's etc. Andy knows that he has many fans and we have to keep showing what a great person Andy is and what a great player he is. He will I'm sure come out firing on all cylinders in Jan and will win many tournaments next year including Aussie Open and Wimbledon. One good thing to come out of last night is that the reporters who were there were shocked by what went on and have written about it. This will hopefully affect those who read it and some Fed fans will be ashamed.
I hope Nole whacks Fed tonight and wins. I couldn't bear if Fed wins, and I'm looking forward to Andy getting the better of him next year every time they meet. I think Andy's loss was a combination of a number of things, crowd, fatigue mental and physical to name some of them. Lendl will help him and he'll come back all the stronger.  I have many Scots friends but I don't want to be an honoury Scot just proud to be a Celt.

You are quite right Michelle - I have a very good friend who is a convinced Fed fan - but maybe I should make her choose - Fed or me!!!!   But I know she would never behave as that rabble did last night.     Could I become an honorary Welsh woman because I love your anthem so much.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #124 on: November 12, 2012, 04:47 PM »

In the four tournaments since his USO success Andy has reached the finals of a Masters and the semi-finals of the WTF - hardly a worrying dip!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #125 on: November 12, 2012, 04:51 PM »

In the four tournaments since his USO success Andy has reached the finals of a Masters and the semi-finals of the WTF - hardly a worrying dip!
YOu're right Alis.  Trouble is now some people expect him to win absolutely everything.    I doubt anyone will achieve what Nole did last year in the foreseeable future.  Some people have such unreasonable expectations of our Andy.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #126 on: November 12, 2012, 04:51 PM »

Everytime I see Nadal, Fed, Djoko, Del Potro.... when ever they are up against it they have the look on their faces of a slapped mackerel.

Oh yes.  I love Rafa, but when he plays, he has a face like a smacked arse and can often be seen giving filthy looks to his opponent.  This is never commented upon by the anti-Muzza bandwagon-jumpers.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #127 on: November 12, 2012, 04:52 PM »

While we're all becoming honourary Scots, count me in as well. I have got a distant Scottish relative or two, according to my family tree research (that's another of my passions!). I've got Canadian relatives as well apparently, so maybe I should learn to like Raonic - is it weird that when I type his name my hand always wants to go RFaonic? Freud would have a field day with me I tell you!

I've got some Aussie relatives too apparently. Hewitt's all right, but I draw the line at Tomic.

Okay, going now, getting weird!
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #128 on: November 12, 2012, 04:54 PM »

Yeah... pretty good form really. Historically....players who win their first major event have had severe dips in form...but Andy's form has been steady if below his best tennis. Hopefully thats a good sign of things to come from him.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #129 on: November 12, 2012, 04:56 PM »

I tell you one thing that this has taught me and that is how important it is that if we go and see play Andy live we are as vocal and as visual as possible in our support for him but without ever dissing his opposition even if it's one of our hate figures [unless they behave in such a way as to warrant it].  So I'm v glad I've invested in a Saltire which I'll now wave with pride with my new  honorary Scot citizenship [and my nearest and dearest was born in and grew up in Glasgow].
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #130 on: November 12, 2012, 05:05 PM »

IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #131 on: November 12, 2012, 05:30 PM »

Yeah, Fed spent ages on court signing stuff, but probably only to look good on TV.  He had a habit of rushing past his fans in the fanzone (when he wasn't being filmed).

Spot on! Saw it first hand in Oz! Walked straight off after a victory vs Tommy Robredo (last match of the day session and Jim had finished his interview). no Like I said, well oiled PR machine.

What a pity Andy's practice sessions at Oz aren't televised - spends ages signing autographs and taking pictures with people.

I don't recall Fed commenting how sorry he was that Andy didn't qualify for the semis when he won 2 matches either. Think

Before I lost radio 5 live commentary, there was someone on there discussing how Fed has perfected the art of saying something nice about Andy but having a swipe at the same time. naughty

My opinion of him will never change - great tennis player but I don't like him.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #132 on: November 12, 2012, 05:31 PM »

Very Happy
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #133 on: November 12, 2012, 06:50 PM »

From Bev in NZ re Federer - 'great tennis player but I don't like him'. Neither do I Bev -  Andy is a down to earth guy - no airs and graces - and many other top tennis players like him and  enjoy his company - which says an enormous amount re his talents as a human being - they wouldn't practice with him or give him friendship if he wasn't the thoroughly decent guy he is. Says a lot in my estimation. He's a lot like other Scots people I have got to know over the years on our holidays in the Highlands and Islands.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #134 on: November 12, 2012, 06:53 PM »

I'm afraid it's more than 'don't like' for me Jan and Bev.  I detest him even though I can acknowledge the  beautiful tennis he has played over his career.  The smug smile on his face after beating Andy is more than I can bear to look at.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 20 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »