Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Federer outclasses substandard Murray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 20 Go Down Reply
Author

Federer outclasses substandard Murray

(Read 9532 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #150 on: November 13, 2012, 03:59 PM »

I believe his support at the Olympics was temporary for the sake of the nation. At Wimbledon, he lost to Federer (3rd time overall), so it was okay for Federer fans to sympathize with Andy as long as Federer was the winner. All bets were off when it came to WTF.
Yes it was quite clear to me at the olympics final that a number of British fed fans were supporting Andy purely as member of Team GB and not as Andy.  One of them said that to me and clearly didn't like him that much.  And because of Wimbledon's iconic status here there will be some who will want a Brit to win it whatever.  But as you say when it comes to WTF none of that applies.  However, that said I do think there's less hostility to Andy than there was and it is surely significant that he came 2nd in the ATP popularity poll.  I don't think that could have been purely because of the efforts of MW members  Whistle
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #151 on: November 13, 2012, 04:05 PM »

When they confirmed that the year end WTF would continue at the O2 for another few years at first i was actually quite happy about it, upon reflection and after the way the weekend unfolded, i would rather it be somewhere else as i don't believe Andy will ever win it while it is in London, he does not need that kind of scrutiny in the last event of the year.

Although it is nice for his fans to be able to afford to see him as opposed to a different country, i personally would happily sacrifice that to see him win in even if it's only once in his career.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #152 on: November 13, 2012, 04:09 PM »

I think that's perhaps being too pessimistic gnome.   I think it's only against smugfed that this problem now exists really.  There was lots of support for Andy in the match against Tsonga that I saw even though Tsonga is popular though it's true he did pick up support as the match went on as I think people felt sorry for him.  I even felt sorry for him! And it sounds like there was appropriate support for Andy in the other matches too. 
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #153 on: November 13, 2012, 04:15 PM »

I think that's perhaps being too pessimistic gnome.   I think it's only against smugfed that this problem now exists really.  There was lots of support for Andy in the match against Tsonga that I saw even though Tsonga is popular though it's true he did pick up support as the match went on as I think people felt sorry for him.  I even felt sorry for him! And it sounds like there was appropriate support for Andy in the other matches too. 

It's not so much about his support and i don't mean just mean from the match with Fed, it's more to do with the added pressure of being in his own country and trying to win with the press and everybody elses scrutinizing him, he has enough to deal with at Wimbledon, i'm sure it adds to his burden playing the last tournament of the year after 11 hectic months of virtually non stop tennis that he has to deal with the added pressure of trying to win another home tournament.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #154 on: November 13, 2012, 04:17 PM »

Ah I see what you mean.   But to be honest I think Andy relished playing WTF in London and had looked forward to the support, which was why I think what happened must have been like a kick in the solar plexus.  The press scrutiny has been so much more positive since the summer and it's not like Wimbledon when the whole country goes mad and people who don't care a toss about tennis watch
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #155 on: November 13, 2012, 04:27 PM »

Ah I see what you mean.   But to be honest I think Andy relished playing WTF in London and had looked forward to the support, which was why I think what happened must have been like a kick in the solar plexus.  The press scrutiny has been so much more positive since the summer and it's not like Wimbledon when the whole country goes mad and people who don't care a toss about tennis watch

Yeah i'll agree with that Smile maybe i'm reading too much into it, probably just still annoyed about the way he went out
IP Logged
AFT
Junior

It's all in the game

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #156 on: November 13, 2012, 05:02 PM »

I think Andy is being aggressive at the wrong times. If he played as he used to and hung back on some of the rallies he would have out- played Fed. He got frustrated and slammed them back at him and he also showed Fed that he was frustrated. Andy is getting there but it takes time to  change your whole way of thinking and playing.Novak has learned how to stick in there through thick and thin and comes through in the end. How glad I was to see him win but you can't but admire Feds skills on the court. The best of three is always a tricky one and we really see the best of Murray in the opens. Roll on the Ausralian.  Whistle
[ Last edit by AFT November 13, 2012, 05:07 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #157 on: November 13, 2012, 06:05 PM »

So Ak400 is back.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #158 on: November 13, 2012, 06:07 PM »

I've removed his post and added his new IP to the ban.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #159 on: November 13, 2012, 06:09 PM »

Look Roger had a good run this week! He's been the best indoor player for a number of years now! Credit to Novak who deserves the number 1 ranking for winning yesterday!

Roger beating Murray was a nice result but the match was on Roger's racket the moment he cut out all the early unforced errors, Murray was powerless to stop the barrage of winners whistling by him!

I was at that match and thought the crowd were sensational a great atmosphere and a great advert for the sport! Roger himself said that crowds like that make him want to keep playing this great sport!

what are you smoking.  The crowd were pish.     they were just a bunch of vibrating Swiss flags , absolute disgrace
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #160 on: November 13, 2012, 06:10 PM »

Look Roger had a good run this week! He's been the best indoor player for a number of years now! Credit to Novak who deserves the number 1 ranking for winning yesterday!

Roger beating Murray was a nice result but the match was on Roger's racket the moment he cut out all the early unforced errors, Murray was powerless to stop the barrage of winners whistling by him!

I was at that match and thought the crowd were sensational a great atmosphere and a great advert for the sport! Roger himself said that crowds like that make him want to keep playing this great sport!

Yes, that was very noble of him. We are deeply touched.

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #161 on: November 13, 2012, 06:11 PM »

I've removed his post and added his new IP to the ban.

Oh, come on. My post now looks stupid. lolol
IP Logged
AFT
Junior

It's all in the game

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #162 on: November 13, 2012, 06:11 PM »

Don't you think Swiss supporters are chavs wearing the Swiss flag as a T shirt and a cap with F on it.? Something Fed would not do only white and gold for him! Lets all wear union jack t shirts and caps at the next final-sad eh.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #163 on: November 13, 2012, 06:13 PM »

Swiss Chavs.  Aye.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #164 on: November 13, 2012, 06:16 PM »

Don't you think Swiss supporters are chavs wearing the Swiss flag as a T shirt and a cap with F on it.? Something Fed would not do only white and gold for him! Lets all wear union jack t shirts and caps at the next final-sad eh.

If you wanna know what cults are all about, then you don't have to look no further. Seriously, what an obnoxious bunch. If tennis is an individual sport as boogers was so conveniently pointing out the other day, then this doesn't make any sense.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 20 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »