Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Federer outclasses substandard Murray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 20 Go Down Reply
Author

Federer outclasses substandard Murray

(Read 10827 times)
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #180 on: November 13, 2012, 07:43 PM »

Having spent the last DC tie sat next the students I would defo go for that, they are so so funny, they were worth the ticket money alone!!  Their chants are hilarious, my fav from the Belgium tie was "Your French and you know you are" or "Your only famous for your chocolate"

Their fancy dress outfits are prety damn good to.  Okay Alis this is your mission for next year!!!

Okay - let's make it a joint mission - that and getting TJ there!!!!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #181 on: November 13, 2012, 07:46 PM »

Well you'll get no argument from me, not now. My arm didn't need much twisting huh? LOL.

The students would be a right laugh. They are brilliant and funny.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #182 on: November 13, 2012, 07:50 PM »

What we need is the Stirling University guys to lead the cheering for Andy.  If they were there I'm sure even the most reticent, reserved Andy fans would be on their feet cheering.  Can't we orchestrate it for next year?

Oh and by the way, Andy and Sir Chris Hoy jointly won the Scottish SPOTY.  Congratulations to both of them!

I don't think this wax Sottish SPOTY, it is not happening until the 6th December and us sponsored by the Daily Mail, Andy won thus last year and think he may have a good shout again this year.  There is a good article online about the Svottish SPOTY.  Great that Andy has won this award though at the Commonwealth dinner.  Shows how appreciated he is, especially after the other night!!
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #183 on: November 13, 2012, 07:51 PM »

By the way that's not my spelling it's the fickle nature of the IPad!!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #184 on: November 13, 2012, 07:52 PM »

Are there two awards then?
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #185 on: November 13, 2012, 08:03 PM »

I have never heard of the Commonwealth dinner and an award but have watched the Scottish SPOTY for the last few years, normally on STV at some unearthly hour!  Last year Andy was not even there and the whole room stood up and gave him a standing ovation and cheered and clapped, very moving to see that.  The good thing about Scottish SPOTY is that the public make the nominations via the Daily Record and Sunday Mail. 
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #186 on: November 13, 2012, 09:03 PM »

What we need is the Stirling University guys to lead the cheering for Andy.  If they were there I'm sure even the most reticent, reserved Andy fans would be on their feet cheering.  Can't we orchestrate it for next year?

Oh and by the way, Andy and Sir Chris Hoy jointly won the Scottish SPOTY.  Congratulations to both of them!
That would be really great Alis, we could show the fans of other players how to really get behind their idol.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #187 on: November 13, 2012, 09:39 PM »

I think the thing that has really shaken me, and forgive me, it sounds OTT, is that from watching on TV I honestly felt a sense that Andy might be unsafe on that court. I don't mean from anything Federer was doing either. It was really the sort of atmosphere where all it would have needed is someone to throw something and all hell would have broken loose. After the match I couldn't get rid of the feeling of wondering how on earth Andy could have defended himself if someone had decided to be stupid and throw something at him. He wouldn't have stood much of a chance. The only thing that brightened my thoughts was that in the event of that happening, Lendl would probably have thrown a complete fit. Nice man that Mr. L, but would you like to upset him?

I do agree with you guys about most of the cultish Federer fans-but I will say that not each and every one of them are like that though!My best friend is actually a big Federer fan,and she's not like any of those idiots from Sunday night at all-in fact she was horrified when she heard what had happened (She wasn't able to watch).

But there's no doubt that there is a faction of them that are outrageous in their devotion to him.In fact,I was once doing a bit of googling,and somehow I ended up on a Roger Federer fansite!(Don't judge me please-I'd clicked on the wrong link!) Anyway,the first thing I saw on the page was-do you guys know that saying "When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry,show life you have a thousand reasons to smile",or something like that?Well,some bright soul had adapted it to "When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry,show life that you have a Roger Federer to make you smile".He was also,liberally,referred to as "Maestro".I wasn't on there long-all the Roger worship was making me a bit ill-but what I saw was pretty eye-opening!

God,Teejay,you know,I hadn't quite thought about the fact that Andy might have been unsafe.But you know,you are quite right about the fact that it was exactly the kind of atmosphere where something could've kicked off in an instant,and Andy would've been a sitting duck on that court.Scary to think of,isn't it?

Still,as you say,I'm fairly sure that had anyone dared to try anything,Lendl would've been up in arms in an instant,and I'm thinking that right beside him would've been a very scary Judy.Team Murray would be fast to close ranks around their (our) boy!
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #188 on: November 13, 2012, 09:40 PM »

Aww,Alis,TJ,and IluvAndy,I really hope you guys do manage to get together and go,and have a brilliant,brilliant time!Wish I could join you (if you wouldn't mind having me along,that is!) but unfortunately I live in the wrong country for that.Why I had to be born somewhere where there's NO big tennis tournies,and NO chance of Andy coming is just...hmmmph.
Anyway,back to what I was originally saying-I hope you do manage it,and that you have the time of your lives!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #189 on: November 13, 2012, 10:20 PM »

Dani, just a thought, but what about a cheap flight to the UK? My sister and young family do it all the time and they live in Dublin. We laugh because my four year old nephew regards flying like riding a bus lol. I know there's ticket prices for the event as well, but, well, you know....As I said, just a thought.

As I type I'm cheering myself up with the Olympic final. Mr. Ramos could teach that umpire from the other night a thing or two. He let the crowd express itself without letting it get silly and disrespectful to either player.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #190 on: November 13, 2012, 10:50 PM »

Dani, just a thought, but what about a cheap flight to the UK? My sister and young family do it all the time and they live in Dublin. We laugh because my four year old nephew regards flying like riding a bus lol. I know there's ticket prices for the event as well, but, well, you know....As I said, just a thought.

As I type I'm cheering myself up with the Olympic final. Mr. Ramos could teach that umpire from the other night a thing or two. He let the crowd express itself without letting it get silly and disrespectful to either player.

I have actually been thinking about that!Other years I couldn't have gone,because when I was young my parents wouldn't have been keen on bringing me to the UK just for tennis,or on me going to the UK on my own,and then I finally got to be of an age where they'd agree and what with the recession and all,it just wouldn't have been possible for a while,you know how it is!But I've been doing some careful plotting,and I may just try and save up to go at some stage next year.Before the sunday night fiasco I was really hoping to try to get to next year's WTF (provided he qualify,of course!) but now I may try and get to another one.

Another thing was that I wouldn't have really had anyone to go with-maybe I could go with my best friend,but she's a Smugfed fan!If I went with one of my parents or sisters or another friend,well,it'd be great,but they'd be going for me,with no real interest in the tennis.

So I'm not sure how I'd work it out yet.If a group of you guys were going along though,and wouldn't mind if I came too,and I could actually manage to get there-well,that'd be just fantastic!But even if it doesn't all come together like that,I am absolutely determined to get to see him play live at SOME point!

Lol,I just watched a bit of the Olympic final earlier!I had to go out,so I couldn't watch it all at once,so I'm watching it in stages.Nothing like it to combat the fiasco-blues,is there!!I meant to say it to you,my dad finally agreed to let me get one of the tennis dvds-just one to start with,and I'm happily jumping at it!The Olympic final is the first one I'm going to order.(I have a downloaded from youtube version now,courtesy of Prodigy's wonderful upload!)I honestly don't think I'll ever tire of that match!
[ Last edit by xxdanixx November 13, 2012, 10:59 PM ] IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #191 on: November 14, 2012, 03:45 AM »

May be easier said than done, but hope Andy can learn to ignore rubbish crowds and just play his tennis.  Something obviously you have to be able to do and in doing so, should think he’d earn the respect of most.  If not, well, not to worry.  Also, glad there was a mix there from other countries and not all English to blame.

Ruthie, your input was invaluable, having been on the spot.   God knows what the crowd would have done if he'd won but I think they’d have roared with praise, in genuine appreciation one would expect, and/or because they are a fickle lot when it comes down to it.  It was very interesting that you could not tell from where you were sitting that Andy was getting down on himself etc.  At home with the camera zooming in on him all the time, it seems almost unfair.  I’m glad there is no camera on me at times.

I think a holiday with Kim is just what the Dr ordered & there will be time for training afterwards.  I salute Andy for a great year and look forward to 2013!

Oh & Alis, I like the idea of a crowd of cheerers for Andy from Stirling University next WTF.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #192 on: November 14, 2012, 03:59 AM »

May be easier said than done, but hope Andy can learn to ignore rubbish crowds and just play his tennis.  Something obviously you have to be able to do and in doing so, should think he’d earn the respect of most.  If not, well, not to worry.  Also, glad there was a mix there from other countries and not all English to blame.

I think we'd all agree that negative crowds don't usually bother Andy. We've seen how fans at the French Open have treated him. I remember how the crowd behaved towards him in Monte Carlo when he played against an injured Simon.

However, I think he deserved and should have expected the support of what should have been a home crowd. Especially when he's playing in Britain for the first time after becoming the first male British slam champion in over 7 decades. I know he's not said anything but I'd be very surprised if he were not a little hurt.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #193 on: November 14, 2012, 06:08 AM »

I agree, quite a different matter being booed in France when he's playing a Frenchman- God how I love his smile yay to have so little support when you're the home boy. shocking
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #194 on: November 14, 2012, 06:40 AM »

This fear for Andy makes me wonder if that is why he was rushed off court.  It is not how he usually behaves on his way out.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 20 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »