Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Federer outclasses substandard Murray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 Go Down Reply
Author

Federer outclasses substandard Murray

(Read 11008 times)
jillypops

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #255 on: November 17, 2012, 11:39 AM »

I was at the Gasquet v Andy match on Court 1, and I can assure you all there was no booing going on, in fact I have been going to Wimbledon for more years than I care to remember and don't ever recall sportsmanlike behaviour from the crowd .
The match with Gasquet was one of the many thrilling matches I have been lucky enough to see Andy play.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #256 on: November 17, 2012, 12:26 PM »

Or someone could write a really good review of 2012, the highs, the lows, the good, the bad, the indifferent, and the ruddy marvellous when Andy won the Olympics and the USO.

This year gas been quite a story. It would be nice if someone told it.
Yes excellent idea tj.  It would have been a good idea even if we hadn't wanted to bury a bad news story!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #257 on: November 17, 2012, 12:59 PM »

Yes excellent idea tj.  It would have been a good idea even if we hadn't wanted to bury a bad news story!

Thanks. I just think, to be honest, we can dwell on a negative, and maybe wonder if Andy had been more supported he might have turned the WTF semi back in his favour, a reasonable question in the circumstances, all through the off season, or we can look at the positives, Andy working with Lendl, beginning the process of changing his game and becoming more aggressive, the impact that has had, and of course the Olympics and the USO, and maybe a tiny bit of speculation (I don't think it ever hurts) about what might be next.

I know personally what I'd rather read for the next few weeks, because although the WTF didn't end quite how we wanted, it hasn't been a bad year by any means. Quite the reverse in fact.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #258 on: November 17, 2012, 01:51 PM »

Ruthie & TJ - I'm going to ask Mark if he would consider putting a picture of Andy either holding his gold medal or the USO trophy (or both!) on the front page of the website instead of leaving it the way it is.  I think that in any case it would be a huge mark of our respect and admiration for him and would also make MW seem more attractive to visitors than looking at stale match reports.  After all, season 2012 is now over.

If you apply the theory of "six degrees of separation" it shrinks the world.
Thank you, FCR, for introducing me to this theory which, until now, I had never heard of despite the fact that it's been around for decades and the subject of a play and then a film (I haven't been to the cinema for years).  It's certainly an interesting concept and one which I shall look into, especially as I have, on a minor level, had experiences of just how small this world can be.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #259 on: November 17, 2012, 02:11 PM »

Ruthie & TJ - I'm going to ask Mark if he would consider putting a picture of Andy either holding his gold medal or the USO trophy (or both!) on the front page of the website instead of leaving it the way it is.  I think that in any case it would be a huge mark of our respect and admiration for him and would also make MW seem more attractive to visitors than looking at stale match reports.  After all, season 2012 is now over.

Thank you, FCR, for introducing me to this theory which, until now, I had never heard of despite the fact that it's been around for decades and the subject of a play and then a film (I haven't been to the cinema for years).  It's certainly an interesting concept and one which I shall look into, especially as I have, on a minor level, had experiences of just how small this world can be.

Good idea Aileen, I would love that too. Very Happy

And about the theory, even I was new to it and researched about it so now thanks to google, I know quite a lot about it.Smile

Thanks FCR.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #260 on: November 17, 2012, 02:32 PM »

Zarfeen - Keep on hanging around MW and you'll learn about a few interesting things other than tennis.  I know that I have in the three years I've been a member. Smile
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #261 on: November 17, 2012, 03:13 PM »

Ruthie & TJ - I'm going to ask Mark if he would consider putting a picture of Andy either holding his gold medal or the USO trophy (or both!) on the front page of the website instead of leaving it the way it is.  I think that in any case it would be a huge mark of our respect and admiration for him and would also make MW seem more attractive to visitors than looking at stale match reports.  After all, season 2012 is now over.

That's a great idea Aileen.  And tj I absolutely agree. Personally I've already 'moved on' from the SF and am glorying in what Andy has achieved this year and waiting with bated breath for what is to come from the other 80% of him that Mr L believes has still to come to fruition.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #262 on: November 17, 2012, 03:32 PM »

Am sure "Six Degrees etc" was a film some years ago.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #263 on: November 17, 2012, 03:37 PM »

Ruthie - the mind boggles at the thought of this 80% and I must admit my concern is that Lendl will push Andy too hard, or try to change things too much, because if that happens I'm sure Andy will be off like a shot and so the whole object of the exercise could be defeated.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #264 on: November 17, 2012, 03:39 PM »

Am sure "Six Degrees etc" was a film some years ago.
It was BBH.  It came out in 1993, and was an adaptation of a play with the same name.  Unfortunately I haven't been to the cinema for years, so missed out on it.

IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #265 on: November 17, 2012, 03:51 PM »

Zarfeen - Keep on hanging around MW and you'll learn about a few interesting things other than tennis.  I know that I have in the three years I've been a member. Smile

I agree Ail, there are so many topics being discussed here which I never really cared about but feels nice to just give it a read. Smile
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #266 on: November 17, 2012, 04:49 PM »

Ruthie - the mind boggles at the thought of this 80% and I must admit my concern is that Lendl will push Andy too hard, or try to change things too much, because if that happens I'm sure Andy will be off like a shot and so the whole object of the exercise could be defeated.

Aileen, the thing is though, it strikes me that Andy is ready to be pushed, and wants to be. Soon after winning the USO he was talking about the future, the possibilities opening up for him, and he knows the hard work he will need to do to get there.

I took what Lendl was saying as its all about making improvements and refinements to the game Andy already has. I think it was purely the headline that mentioned 'change' because Lendl didn't.

Apart from becoming more aggressive, more attack minded, I'm not sure Andy's game has changed a huge amount since Lendl came on board. However, I can see improvements, Andy's forehand, his second serve, the way he is stepping in and taking the ball on, his ball striking being so much harder. I think it is developments like that that Lendl is looking for with Andy.

If Andy does improve over time in the way Lendl suggests he can, he will be one scary prospect for opponents. Can anyone else hear Tsonga tearing his hair out?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #267 on: November 17, 2012, 05:15 PM »

Yes must admit the same fears have run through my mind Aileen.  But I feel pretty confident that they both know what they're doing.  I think we just have to have faith in Mr L based on this year's experience.  And I don't think he can make Andy work any harder than andy  makes himself work.  But as I've said before I hope he doesn't try and change his game in any significant way. As I see it it's a case of smoothing out the weaknesses and building on the growing strengths.  But what do I know about coaching?  :  doh
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #268 on: November 17, 2012, 05:21 PM »

I was sure Nadal had once been booed by a French crowd and a Google search came up with this interesting article -
http://www.thetennisspace.com/top-10-occasions-that-french-crowds-turned-nasty/
and on two of these occasions Andy has been the one who has incurred their wrath, in particular at the 2011 Monte Carlo Masters when he took full advantage of an injured Gilles Simon.

No matter how many Fans Federer has, Nadal won't be booed against Federer in his own country Spain. Spanish are very good at supporting their own players, teams etc. and perhaps that's the reason why they are doing so well in sports.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Federer outclasses substandard Murray « Reply #269 on: November 17, 2012, 07:46 PM »

Murray v Federer. Passion v complacency. Sporting v unsporting. Rugged v effeminate. Honest v bull****. Humble v conceit. Swear v snarl. The only mystery is why so many can't see it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »