Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Grigor Dimitrov, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer

(Read 3976 times)
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 07:11 PM »

Serve and his lovely usually so reliable back hand let him down today. Also, he did look "off"- beating Berd and Nole back to back, v. hard work. Fed was the better player today, you sometimes have to accept that and move on. However, in spite of Andy being "off" as jane said only one break of serve each set and on the other hand:
Fed had favourite fast surface, easier run, night matches, far more match practise going in.
Not down hearted at all. Andy has his eyes on another prize. cmon yeah
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 07:17 PM »

I don't think you should feel too down mp.  Remember Andy hasn't played matches since AO whereas Fed has been and is so more match ready as well as used to the night conditions.  Try and look on the bright side - Andy beat Berdych for 1st time in ages and beat #1 player + didn't show any signs of a post AO slump [not that there was any reason for one, but these things can become kind of self-reinforcing].  I'm sure Lendl will be able to show him alot from that match and help him sharpen up for next time he meets smugfed.

Thanks for your optimistic viewpoints Ruthie and bbh. And I'm sure if Andy can accentuate the positives in his post-match interview, then my post-defeat doldrums will fade soon enough.
[ Last edit by matchpoint March 03, 2012, 07:20 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 07:19 PM »

It's always abit of a downer mp when Andy loses but I really feel it's just a blip.
Btw I was wrong folks about IW. Just checked the tourno website.  Men's 2nd round is next sat and sun so if there are byes for the top seeds, that will be when Andy next has to play.  Doesn't give him an enormous amount of time but let's hope he has an easy start to the tourno to help him play himself in.  So I guess it starts being televised on sky next w/e?
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 07:23 PM »

He has done very well here in the distant (Wink) past so I'm really looking forward to a good run and lots of points
 yay

Not even a "blip" Ruthie, sometimes someone is a better player on the day and that's it! As Nole acknowledged yesterday.
[ Last edit by blueberryhill March 03, 2012, 07:26 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #19 on: March 03, 2012, 07:32 PM »

Well the bh and serve certainly blipped bbh.  If they hadn't I think he could have been the better player today.  Never mind I think he'll be going in to what used to be his favourite part of the season in a good frame of mind.  
TV coverage starts here next saturday, which I suspect means that seeds do have a bye.  Hope Andy doesn't have to play till sunday even if it does mean he has to play catch up down the road.  So not long to wait before we see our man back in action again.  yay

Oh and discovered on rankings thread that Andy gained 100 more points than fed so he's creeping up on him.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 07:37 PM »

Pop back there, he's gained on Nole too Smile
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 07:37 PM »

Great to hear about the extra 100 points.

I think I read that Andy's also playing doubles with Jamie at IW.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 07:43 PM »

Pop back there, he's gained on Nole too Smile
better and better - nice to have some consolation prizes tonight and of course provided he reverts to his original form in US hard courts there are LOTS of points for the picking as you said a few posts back.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 07:53 PM »

Yes Andy was a bit off today but not too bad. Fed had all the luck. Never mind the USA swing starts soon so more tennis to watch. Some more points to go on his total. Im sure he will be looking forward to winning in the US.
IP Logged
reef
Junior

coral reef

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #24 on: March 03, 2012, 07:56 PM »

I too rather wish Andy had sayed in the States as I worry about all the travelling as he doesn't seem to be the world's best traveller - nevertheless he has a better idea of where his game is at now and as mentioned, gained some valuable points and experience.  I think he had a better idea how to play Novak (having come up against him a lot recently) whereas I feel he had lost confidence playing Fed for the first time in over a year - it's one thing to watch others play him but across the net is very different.  He will learn and know how to approach their next encounter better I'm sure.

If there's one person I always want him to beat though it's Fed - and yes I agree, how rude not to mention Andy in his speech.  Grrrh.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #25 on: March 03, 2012, 08:13 PM »

I take my hat off to Andy for dealing with the time-difference.  Until extremely recently, his body was on my time (which is currently 9 hours behind Dubai time).
Next he has to get used to California time ...currently 6 hours behind our (me/Andy) time.
This is just something else he has to deal with that we might not be appreciative of.
I think he needs to borrow the Tardis from Dr. Who!
IP Logged
Adrian
Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #26 on: March 03, 2012, 08:33 PM »

It will be interesting to see how Andy performs at Indian Wells and Miami and to look at how much progress he has made and compare this to the past couple of years, physically, tactically, emotionally and mentally. The big four will be present at both tournaments. I wonder where Nadal's game is at after such a long break, possible rustiness ?
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #27 on: March 03, 2012, 08:55 PM »

Serve and his lovely usually so reliable back hand let him down today. Also, he did look "off"- beating Berd and Nole back to back, v. hard work. Fed was the better player today, you sometimes have to accept that and move on. However, in spite of Andy being "off" as jane said only one break of serve each set and on the other hand:
Fed had favourite fast surface, easier run, night matches, far more match practise going in.
Not down hearted at all. Andy has his eyes on another prize. cmon yeah
Oh you make me smile so positive, I feel the same it's Andy's year, great run in Dubia.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #28 on: March 03, 2012, 08:56 PM »

e:
It will be interesting to see how Andy performs at Indian Wells and Miami and to look at how much progress he has made and compare this to the past couple of years, physically, tactically, emotionally and mentally. The big four will be present at both tournaments. I wonder where Nadal's game is at after such a long break, possible rustiness ?
I think rusty!!!  welcome Adrian.
IP Logged
Thevalley
Junior

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #29 on: March 03, 2012, 09:10 PM »

I agree with the maj of the posts - this is a blip. Fed brought his 100% game and Andy was at 85% - and it was still tight. I'm sure Andy is mad at himself as  I think he knows he should have taken this. But he should know that when it comes to the next face up in a slam - he will be more focused and not let his game drop. Nex t time....
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »