Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer

(Read 3513 times)
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #75 on: March 05, 2012, 07:29 PM »

Great one bbh I should have thought of that, but I was hungry and had not had my dinner. My little grey cells were short of energy.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #76 on: March 05, 2012, 09:00 PM »

The picture actually shows that deep down inside Andy didn’t really feel as if he’d lost the match but rather didn’t give as much effort and that's probably because it didn’t matter to him as much in the end. Federer is of course quite good on that surface so Andy needed to be in his absolute best, but he just couldn’t put in the same effort here as he did against Nole. This approach though will have to change come Slams. The goal is to win it no matter who stands in the way.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #77 on: March 05, 2012, 09:08 PM »

The picture actually shows that deep down inside Andy didn’t really feel as if he’d lost the match but rather didn’t give as much effort and that's probably because it didn’t matter to him as much in the end.

But is that the right attitude? What would Lendl say?

That's the same approach as when you're 2-1 up in sets but decide to tank the 4th cos you're 4-0 down. Ultimately, it does you no good, because you've lost your rhythm, form and focus for when the final set starts.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #78 on: March 05, 2012, 11:41 PM »

@PaeudoFed So so happy! Thank you to all My fans, staff and Me. I hope you all enjoyed My #humble victory speech. I think I mentioned everybody?

roflmao  My computer screen was nearly covering in grated cheese. Very Happy
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #79 on: March 05, 2012, 11:42 PM »

this is a bit off topic but when is the draw for indian wells going to be released?

According to the Indain Wells website the ATP World Tour Singles Main Draw will take place on Tuesday, March 6. I cannot see any reference to time however.

Joe has mentioned 3pm local time, 11pm UK time.  Not sure how that works out for you though dontknow
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #80 on: March 05, 2012, 11:46 PM »

Yes he is just letting Mr Smug know "you beat me but so what" I really don't give a sh*t.

My poor computer screen! lmao
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #81 on: March 05, 2012, 11:58 PM »

^^ moral of the story Bev is never eat or drink anything in front of a computer!  I once spent ages picking bits of grated cheese out of my keyboard when I got excited during an Andy match. Very Happy

The picture actually shows that deep down inside Andy didn’t really feel as if he’d lost the match but rather didn’t give as much effort and that's probably because it didn’t matter to him as much in the end. Federer is of course quite good on that surface so Andy needed to be in his absolute best, but he just couldn’t put in the same effort here as he did against Nole. This approach though will have to change come Slams. The goal is to win it no matter who stands in the way.
I'm with Nigel on this one, and I imagine Lendl and Andy will be having in-depth discussions about this match.  It doesn't matter whether the tournament's a Slam or a 250, Andy should still be putting in 100% effort.  Also I can't believe that this loss didn't matter to him - and if you look at the pics I posted on the Murray pictures thread, you'll see what I mean.  What the picture does convey (and Andy's brightness does look a little forced to me) is that, no matter how disappointed he must have been feeling inside, he was able to control these feelings, especially in the face of Federer's self-satisfied smugness, and that is indicative of how much his mental attitude has improved in recent months.
[ Last edit by Aileen March 06, 2012, 12:09 AM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #82 on: March 06, 2012, 12:18 AM »

But is that the right attitude? What would Lendl say?

That's the same approach as when you're 2-1 up in sets but decide to tank the 4th cos you're 4-0 down. Ultimately, it does you no good, because you've lost your rhythm, form and focus for when the final set starts.

No, it's not and to be honest, I was not at all happy about it. So I don't see why Lendl should be happy about it. Lendl should make notes and make him see what's more important here. The idea is to beat them all and when you do that, the title is yours. That's the ultimate goal. Take Nole for example - last year after the Rome semi against Murray, everyone pretty much predicted that he was done for the final and Nadal was going to walk away with the title. Easy peasy. But what do we see instead? Take USO for example and we see the same thing and as well this year's AO. This guy didn't stop after beating a very worthy opponent. You could easily see that his goal was to prove everyone wrong and win one more Major and that's the idea. I mean what should be the goal of a tennis player anyway? To eventually win a Slam.

But mind you, this is also the reason why Lendl is so happy with Andy’s decision of hiring him because he, Andy, is clearly aware of his mental attitude and that’s exactly where he wants Lendl to work on. And Lendl is the best person on this job. Andy is a hard worker no doubt but he is also the one who put himself in rather difficult situations from time to time. Unfortunately for him, tennis is not the type of job where you can afford this sort breaks so he should realize that. He will have to train himself to think the all champions do. He really has the game to win a few Slams.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #83 on: March 06, 2012, 12:24 AM »

Joe has mentioned 3pm local time, 11pm UK time.  Not sure how that works out for you though dontknow
On the subject of time - please note that the US goes onto daylight saving on 11 March, two weeks before the UK - so from Sunday IW will be GMT -7.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #84 on: March 06, 2012, 12:31 AM »

^^ moral of the story Bev is never eat or drink anything in front of a computer!  I once spent ages picking bits of grated cheese out of my keyboard when I got excited during an Andy match. Very Happy
I'm with Nigel on this one, and I imagine Lendl and Andy will be having in-depth discussions about this match.  It doesn't matter whether the tournament's a Slam or a 250, Andy should still be putting in 100% effort.  Also I can't believe that this loss didn't matter to him - and if you look at the pics I posted on the Murray pictures thread, you'll see what I mean.  What the picture does convey (and Andy's brightness does look a little forced to me) is that, no matter how disappointed he must have been feeling inside, he was able to control these feelings, especially in the face of Federer's self-satisfied smugness, and that is indicative of how much his mental attitude has improved in recent months.

I am sure the loss mattered to him but not as much as it should have. Because even though Federer is still playing very well and this surface suits him very well, Andy is still younger than him and plays very well on this surface and has the H2H to going on. Other than the fast indoor surface, Nadal has pretty much beaten Federer everywhere and that's because not only he matches up against Federer quite well, but also, he is in Roger's head. And the losses to Federer at WTF also relate to the fact that, Nadal is usually all worn out at year end. I mean how many finals did Federer make last year compare to Nadal? Nadal clearly plays much more tennis than Federer and his tennis is also quite taxing on his body. If you put the WTF at the start of the year, then you never know where Nadal would stand there. Also, Andy needed to take the match a bit more seriously because Federer is right now his ultimate rival given the rankings so he really needs to take things over and establish a firm authority over him. I mean there's a reason why Andy holds a positive H2H against him right? He knows how to beat him. It's not like this was clay or grass but a surface he has many titles on. Maybe beating a prime Federer would have been a much harder task but that should not be the case now.

But forget pictures, I could clearly see that Andy was a bit flat overall and in fact, I mentioned it before the match that Andy might not come out feeling as focused mainly due to his semi match against Nole just the day before.  I really think an in form and focused Murray, the one we saw just the day before, would have dismissed Federer in no time.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean March 06, 2012, 12:34 AM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #85 on: March 06, 2012, 12:54 AM »

And the reason why Nole is better than Andy right now is not because his tennis is better than Andy but because he has a better mentality or let's say, winning mentality towards his main rivals and going into Slams. If you achieve one, you are automatically going to achieve the other.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #86 on: March 06, 2012, 01:07 AM »

I am sure the loss mattered to him but not as much as it should have. Because even though Federer is still playing very well and this surface suits him very well, Andy is still younger than him and plays very well on this surface and has the H2H to going on. Other than the fast indoor surface, Nadal has pretty much beaten Federer everywhere and that's because not only he matches up against Federer quite well, but also, he is in Roger's head. And the losses to Federer at WTF also relate to the fact that, Nadal is usually all worn out at year end. I mean how many finals did Federer make last year compare to Nadal? Nadal clearly plays much more tennis than Federer and his tennis is also quite taxing on his body. If you put the WTF at the start of the year, then you never know where Nadal would stand there. Also, Andy needed to take the match a bit more seriously because Federer is right now his ultimate rival given the rankings so he really needs to take things over and establish a firm authority over him. I mean there's a reason why Andy holds a positive H2H against him right? He knows how to beat him. It's not this was clay or grass but a surface he has many titles on. Maybe beating a prime would have been a much harder task but that should not be the case now.

But forget pictures, I could clearly see that Andy was a bit flat overall and in fact, I mentioned it before the match that Andy might not come out feeling as focused mainly due to his semi match against Nole just the day before.  I really think an in form and focused Murray, the one we saw just the day before, would have dismissed Federer in no time.

How can anybody know that the loss didn't matter as much as it should have, or that he wasn't taking the match seriously enough?  (a) Andy has high expectations of himself, which is why he gets so frustrated when he plays poorly or fluffs a shot he really should have put away, and (b) he's said that his aim this year is to become No.2 - and knows that he'll never achieve that unless he wins as many tournaments as he can, and a Slam in particular.  Maybe the loss against Fed was due a little to loss of focus, perhaps even some fatigue, but again this is something he has to learn to overcome.

And the reason why Nole is better than Andy right now is not because his tennis is better than Andy but because he has a better mentality or let's say, winning mentality towards his main rivals and going into Slams. If you achieve one, you are automatically going to achieve the other.
I agree about Nole.  Andy still has a way to go with regard to his self-belief, and also what I meant when I said he has to learn to combat feelings of fatigue.  Nole has sometimes looked to be out on his feet, then surprises everyone by producing a burst of energy.  Andy is extremely fit, despite his real or imagined aches and pains, so he isn't going to fall apart if he too can find a way of digging deep into his energy reserves.   
[ Last edit by Aileen March 06, 2012, 01:18 AM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #87 on: March 06, 2012, 01:17 AM »

He lost in straight sets so I think it had a lot to do with the loss of focus rather than fatigue. He didn't really spend a lot of time out there. He won both Toronto and Shanghai in a similar fashion in 2010. Anyway, it doesn't matter. This still doesn't count as much so maybe it does allow that small window of losing focus. These are all educated guesses anyway. Andy is a very emotional player so we are used to seeing that, but the mental aspect of things have changed ever since the Lendl appointment as well so let me just say that he simply lost here. It’s not worth going into another argument though the effect will truly show in Majors and it somewhat has at the AO already.  
[ Last edit by Emma Jean March 06, 2012, 01:24 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #88 on: March 06, 2012, 01:23 AM »

He lost in straight sets so I think it had a lot to do with loss of focus rather than fatigue. He didn't really spend a lot of time out there. He's won both Toronto and Shanghai in a similar fashion in 2010. Anyway, it doesn't matter. This still doesn't count as much so maybe it does allow that small window of losing focus. These are all educated guesses anyway. Andy is a very emotional player so we are used to seeing that, but the mental aspect of things have changed ever since the Lendl appointment as well so let me just say that he simply lost here. It’s not worth going into another argument though the effect will truly show in Majors and it somewhat has at the AO already. 
I agree.  I think the proper time for arguing will come, if it has to, after we see how Andy performs at the French Open.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Flat Murray falls to fluid Federer « Reply #89 on: March 06, 2012, 07:37 AM »

Great one bbh I should have thought of that, but I was hungry and had not had my dinner. My little grey cells were short of energy.
Thanx Smile He's just got a very naughty, teasing look on his face...
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »