Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Reply
Author

Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek

(Read 2167 times)
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « on: October 12, 2012, 11:33 AM »

Andy Murray is through to the semi-finals of the Shanghai Rolex Master after defeating Radek Stepanek. Despite being far from his best, the Scot eventually prevailed 4-6, 6-2, 6-3.

Stepanek's serve and volley game is thoroughly unconventional in this era of baseline grinders and, for much of the first set, he drove Murray to distraction. The Czech was on fire, anticipating Murray's passing shots with supernatural precision.

Murray has been suffering from illness and, after one exchange was heard to say "I'm tired, I'm sick and I'm playing so bad". Whilst we can speculate on the tiredness and sickness, the bad play was evident in abundance. Routine ground-strokes were shanked, easy volleys missed and second serves thudded into the net.

The unforced errors piled up and by the end of the first set the count stood at 13.

Thankfully the Scot upped his level and ground out the win - but it wasn't pretty.

Next up is the winner of Cilic v Federer.
[ Last edit by boogers October 12, 2012, 12:34 PM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 11:40 AM »

An excellent win for Andy, clearly far from his best, against an opponent playing out of his skin.
Come On Champ.  yay
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 11:45 AM »

Don't forget to include those snippets you posted on the thread Whistle

Andy played a bad service game in the 1st set and paid the price. Radek, to be fair, didn't give him a look in and got the tactics spot on. Andy upped his game the 2nd, but Radek's serve began to drop with Andy taking advantage. The 3rd set had the good, the bad and the ugly.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 11:52 AM »

Wasn't pretty, but our champ found a way to win.  goodjob
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 11:54 AM »

All part of being an Andy fan. Very Happy

IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 12:03 PM »

Just got home and found that Andy managed to win a difficult match despite being under the weather with cold/cough/throat. Given another day to get over it he will I'm sure fight to win Fed, and will I hope and pray he will prevail. Pleased to see Aileen is back, I've missed you.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 01:10 PM »

Playing with our minds again, typical Muzza Surprised
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 01:45 PM »

Well done, Andy Murray. sometimes he plays most brilliantly when he is seriously under pressure. after the second set I really thought he had taken the decisive step. Never had I imagined such fierce opposition from Stepanek, always believed in him deteriorating at one point. But this is champion's style - to show true grit, and of course Stepanek made his mistakes to help it.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 01:51 PM »

Just got home and found that Andy managed to win a difficult match despite being under the weather with cold/cough/throat. Given another day to get over it he will I'm sure fight to win Fed, and will I hope and pray he will prevail. Pleased to see Aileen is back, I've missed you.
hug  I've missed you all on MW.  Just an unpleasant tummy bug.

Playing with our minds again, typical Muzza Surprised
I've just listened to Andy's post-match interview yesterday and he kept coughing a bit throughout like he had a sore throat.  Hope it's not going to be one of the nastier viruses that he's had in the past.  Still, he found a way to beat an on-form Stepanek, so ugly or not, he won.  The mark of a true champ!
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 02:14 PM »

It looks like Andy is going to be a slight favourite in the betting odds against Federer.
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 02:29 PM »

Looks like it's gonna be Fed in semis i think if Andy feeling ok i pick him to win in three sets,but thats only if he's feeling 100%.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 02:52 PM »

So Fed it is.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 03:05 PM »

Well done Andy.  As they often say it's the sign of the true champ who can win when so clearly far below his best and not feeling well especially as Stepanek was playing very well for some of the time.  Can't see him really beating smugfed if he's feeling so bad.  Much as I'd love him to beat him it's not a disaster if he doesn't and can get home and look after himself before the last push to WTF.
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 03:09 PM »

I was surprised to see that Fed could not serve it  out. Yet, he then did it on the next Cilic game. shame, he could not make it more competitive. For tomorrow, I really feel uneasy.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 03:12 PM »

Yes hard work for Andy but he won and that is all that matters. Like you say Ruthie he was coughing a lot yesterday so hope he is okay. Smugfed again I hope Andy wins or we will have to put up with that vain arrogant man.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »