Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Reply
Author

Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek

(Read 2699 times)
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 03:35 PM »

Yes hard work for Andy but he won and that is all that matters. Like you say Ruthie he was coughing a lot yesterday so hope he is okay. Smugfed again I hope Andy wins or we will have to put up with that vain arrogant man.

That vain, arrogant man is on the way out. I can't see him having the stamina for another GS now, particularly given the sort of players he now has to get through, including Mr M. All the signs of the start of the decline are there. Watching it happen is going to be fun. I read somewhere that when you look at who he was competing against when he got the majority of his GS victories it is not such an impressive performance.  he has got far fewer in the Nadal, ND and now Murray era. Mr M ripped the coveted Gold Medal from his grubby little paw, and he could do nothing about it. he will never get one now. Not sure Mr M will pull it off tomorrow, and not that bothered to be honest. My only desire for the rest of the year is for him to defend as many points as possible and put up a decent show in the WTF, and enjoy what he is doing. We want him in good fettle for 2013. Winning here would be nice, but not essential as far as I personally am concerned. The less points he has to defend at the end of the year the better. Next year is going to be his, and I will worry about getting the maximum no of points then, with his push to No 1. I reckon that this year he has done more than enough. Even more so if he is feeling a bit rough. Cut him some slack folks. Let Fed and ND wear themselves out fighting for the number 1 slot. Murray can have it next year.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 03:36 PM »

The biggest problem for Andy in the first set, at least it seemed to me, was his movement. He was a step or so slow, which is unlike him, and a pretty big indication that he wasn't feeling right. With his movement being off, Andy wasn't timing the ball, and Stepanek was able to exploit that.

However, Andy picked it up in the second, was much more his usual brilliant self. Yes, he had a wobble in the third, but you could hardly expect an experienced player like Stepanek to not put up a fight, but frankly it felt to me like Andy had got it in the bag by then.

Credit to Andy for getting the win when he was clearly not 100%. I've sort of grown used to Andy responding when he is up against it, like the champion that he is, and he did today, which is all that matters.

So it's Fed for the semi's. I suppose there wasn't much doubt about it. I don't recall him ever making such a mess of serving a match out as he did to give Cilic the break back today though. Based on Fed's performances through the week I think Andy has a good chance, I really do. It would help if Andy is feeling a bit better, obviously. Hopefully he'll start tomorrow as he finished today.
IP Logged
psu
Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 05:35 PM »

Comments such as "We can speculate on the tiredness and sickness.." are typical of this reporter who claims to be a fan yet takes every opportunity to malign Murray whenever he isn't winning, and indeed when he is winning but not as dramatically as Boogers would like. When people point this out he is defended by others as a true fan who is simply a pessimist. It's possible to be critical without being personal or using terms like "hopeless' or questioning Murray's truthfulness.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 05:37 PM »

come and join us psu - we need more members who will stand up against this negative reporting.  Must admit I read match report so quickly that I missed the insinuation about Andy's sickness.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 05:46 PM »

This was a very cynical report - not exactly reflective of the match at all.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 05:59 PM »

I rose above the negative reporting, which makes me feel good about myself. innocent

It's disappointing that one of the first things a visitor here would see though, is a headline like that. Andy wasn't fractious, a word that suggests he was irritable throughout the match. He got frustrated briefly, and then got through it, played better and won, end of story.

As someone in the crowd reminded Andy during the match against Cilic at the USO, it's not how you start it's how you finish, and Andy finished well enough today. He got the win.

I must say that although I'd love Andy to do it tomorrow, and I really believe he can, it won't be the end of the world to me if he doesn't. These last few months have been awesome from Andy and anything else this year feels like an abundance of riches. I would so love him to do well at the WTF, because it is in London and also because Andy felt so badly about having to pull out last year, but anything in between now and then doesn't worry me too much. Andy doesn't have to prove to us he is good enough to beat either Federer or Djokovic any more, we already know he is. More to the point, I believe he is starting to believe too, and even they are getting the idea lol.

Personally I'm okay with anything that happens for the rest of the year as long as Andy is fit. Whatever happens now, I have a feeling that 2013 is going to be very exciting.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 06:01 PM »

He is ill. I thought it yesterday during the match, and even more so when I listened to his interview. He still looks rough today. Interestingly enough one of the comms is also coughing and spluttering. I too get very fed up with the negativity on this forum, particularly when Murray loses. He is a human being who is going to have off days. What I remember is the sheer magnitude of his achievements this year.  First British Grand Slam Winner in 76 years - only people of about 85+ will remember Mr Perry, and first singles medalist in over a century. Given the traumas of his childhood, folks just don't give him enough credit. They should be awed by him, rather than crucifying him whenever he loses a match.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 06:10 PM »

Well I watched the entire match and it is blatently obvious that AM is under the weather, I would say to those doubting him, think how you feel when you have a cold or viral infection, I know that I work in an office and the thought of getting out of bed to go there is awful, let along putting your body through what he has to.  Sure, he played well below par but also within that there were some moments of utter genius and class prevailed in the end.

The guy puts his body on the line week in and week out, he has obviously picked up some viral illness which must be quite an easy thing to do, given the crossing over of time zones, climates etc.  How many people come back from their hols with something after travelling?  One thing with AM is that he will never ever blame a defeat on illness or injury as we all know, that is because is a gentleman.  I think some people on here need to seriously cut AM a bit of slack.  Whatever the outcome of the RG Semi final tommorrow Andy Murray is the US Open Champion and Olympic Gold Medallist I would take that every time over a Masters 1000.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 07:06 PM »

Yes we do get some very cynical reports on MW. It was so obvious when Andy played yesterday that he was ill. Where do all those cynical reports come from members on MW I just do not understand them. They say they are Murray supporters but when Andy has a bad game or is not playing well out come the knives.I would dearly love them to drag themselves onto the tennis court and put on half the effort that Andy does. He has done very well so far this year without some of the back stabbers on MW. Give Andy credit were credit is due.
Stop  moaning I am sure none of you could do better
IP Logged
kay nicol
Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 07:28 PM »

It was obvious he was ill. But the professional toughed it out and won. yay
IP Logged
madabouttheboy
Junior

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 08:35 PM »

Well done Andy. It can't be easy playing when you really would rather be in bed nursing the virus or whatever it is that ails you.
How incredible that he could come back and win like that-the play of a true champion.
If Smugfed wins so be it. Andy will have many more chances to demolish him when he's fit and healthy. Feel better Andy and good health for tomorrow-you don't need luck.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 09:21 PM »

So Fed it is.
I'm thrilled to bits. Hope Andy can thrash him, but it wont be easy with the infection he's got.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 09:32 PM »

That was quite a workout for Andy, but I knew he would come through! ('cos I saw the score before I watched the match  Wink ).
Well done, Andy! & Good luck Saturday against Fed.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #28 on: October 12, 2012, 09:46 PM »

I'm thrilled to bits. Hope Andy can thrash him, but it wont be easy with the infection he's got.
Andys got a infection?......so what else did Andy and his Docs tell you?... Pray tell.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 10:21 PM »

I don't get what the issue is with Booger's report. He, I and several others watched the match live 'together' and it is factual.
During the match, he was the first person to acknowledge and post Andy's mention of being tired, sick and playing bad.
If the issue is because of the word 'fractuous'.. then why? He was fractuous at times. So what?
If the issue is because of the word 'speculate,' then I would concur there has been much speculation over what Andy's health issue is on the threads today. i.e. Is it a common cold, did he catch something on the plane, is it an infection etc. etc. etc...

I don't know Boogers at all, but I do know he has been here for several years and has taken time out of his personal life to do numerous and often excellent match reports for the benefit of MW, and I appreciate his contribution.
In my view he has earned his stripes here.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »