Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Reply
Author

Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek

(Read 2482 times)
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 10:27 PM »

Andys got a infection?......so what else did Andy and his Docs tell you?... Pray tell.
Well Robbie, I dont need a stethescope, or a hot line to his medic to say it's a respiratory infection.The laws of probability can be applied. 

During winter months, cold  colds, flu and other pesky epidemics are prevalent in the Northern hemisphere.

He said it was brewing when at Rakuten, and its obvious now! flu
Do you mean he's not telling the truth?
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 10:31 PM »

I don't get what the issue is with Booger's report. He, I and several others watched the match live 'together' and it is factual.
During the match, he was the first person to acknowledge and post Andy's mention of being tired, sick and playing bad.
If the issue is because of the word 'fractuous'.. then why? He was fractuous at times. So what?
If the issue is because of the word 'speculate,' then I would concur there has been much speculation over what Andy's health issue is on the threads today. i.e. Is it a common cold, did he catch something on the plane, is it an infection etc. etc. etc...

I don't know Boogers at all, but I do know he has been here for several years and has taken time out of his personal life to do numerous and often excellent match reports for the benefit of MW, and I appreciate his contribution.
In my view he has earned his stripes here.

It was fine up to this line "Thankfully the Scot upped his level and ground out the win - but it wasn't pretty.", he spent 4 paragraphs describing the bad play in the 1st set, then rounded off the entire 2nd and 3rd with that one line in which he also intentionally gave a little dig towards Andy in by saying "but it wasn't pretty".

Basically he gave a one-sided view concentrating only on the negatives aspects for Murray, which isn't good reporting at all.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 10:36 PM »

Comments such as "We can speculate on the tiredness and sickness.." are typical of this reporter

Settle down. Murray hasn't spoken much about being ill (excluding the unguarded remarks captured by the courtside microphones) so any talk about illness is speculation. We don't know if he's just got a bad cold sore, or if he's actually very sick indeed.

come and join us psu - we need more members who will stand up against this negative reporting

Feel free to "stand up" by writing and contributing your own match report.

Andy wasn't fractious, a word that suggests he was irritable throughout the match.

He spent the entire match cursing. He smashed a racquet. He got a code violation late in the match for thrashing a ball out of the stadium. He very much appeared to be bad tempered and easily irritable. Fractious.

I'm quite sure that if I had to play a match against a tricky opponent whilst ill I'd be fractious. It's simply a statement of fact, not a damning indictment against him as a person.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 10:39 PM »

Basically he gave a one-sided view concentrating only on the negatives aspects for Murray, which isn't good reporting at all.

Ignoring the fact that I had urgent business to attend to which precluded me from finishing a detailed treatment of the second and third sets, there really wasn't much positive to report at all beyond "Murray won".

As always, if you feel you can do better then please do so. We're always looking for erudite contributors.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 10:46 PM »

I don't know Boogers at all, but I do know he has been here for several years and has taken time out of his personal life to do numerous and often excellent match reports for the benefit of MW, and I appreciate his contribution.
In my view he has earned his stripes here.

Thank you.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #35 on: October 12, 2012, 10:55 PM »

As always, if you feel you can do better then please do so. We're always looking for erudite contributors.

My English writing skills aren't good enough to be doing match reports. I would probably just copy a report that a paper had written instead. Like the one Telegraph:

The US Open champion, who has an outside chance of finishing the year as world No 1, will face either Roger Federer or Marin Cilic for a place in the final.

He was forced to overcome some worrying moments against Stepanek before hitting top gear to remain on course for a third successive Shanghai Masters title.

Murray was in trouble in the fifth game, conceding three break points and finding the net on the third, and never recovered as the confident Stepanek took the opening set with ease.

Their fortunes reversed in a hard-fought second set with Murray looking more comfortable and capitalising on a double fault to break in the sixth.

A stunning forehand winner - executed at full reach having dashed the width of the court - in the third game of the deciding set helped Stepanek secure a crucial break.

But Murray broke back immediately in impressive style and barely broke sweat as he cruised to victory, Stepanek buckling beneath the pressure in the closing stages.

Murray was satisfied with the way he finished the quarter-final but admitted Stepanek had caused him problems.

"It was quite a scrappy first couple of sets, but obviously in the second set I managed to get a break and got a bit of momentum," Murray said.

"I started going for my shots and dictated a majority of those at the end of the match.

"Obviously I needed to do that because he was playing with a lot of variety, making it hard.

"I was a little bit tentative on some shots. I allowed him to come forward."

Although this could have had more content, at least it's somewhat balanced.
[ Last edit by laundry October 12, 2012, 10:59 PM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #36 on: October 13, 2012, 12:12 AM »

"He spent the entire match cursing."

Exaggerating a bit there Phil. He was actually keeping himself very calm until whenever it was when he smashed the racquet, and then he started showing his frustration a bit after that.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #37 on: October 13, 2012, 12:46 AM »

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/tennis/relieved-andy-murray-s-birthday-surprise-for-girlfriend-kim-1-2570649

At least Murray was feeling a little better than he had earlier in the week, even if did not look like a well man. Still trying to shake off a virus infection, he was gulping down air after long rallies and could not find the spark he needed to ignite his game until deep into the match.

“I just picked the bug up on the flight,” Murray said. “I had a sore throat and swollen glands. Then it kind of went down to my chest and I haven’t been able to get rid of it.”
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #38 on: October 13, 2012, 02:19 AM »

^ Ugh - airplanes are notorious places to pick up respiratory bugs, especially on long-haul flights, because of the recirculated air which allows the easy transmission of viruses.

Ignoring the fact that I had urgent business to attend to which precluded me from finishing a detailed treatment of the second and third sets, there really wasn't much positive to report at all beyond "Murray won".

I wonder how many of you realise what it takes to be a member of the entirely voluntary MW news team?  Not only is a good technical knowledge of the game required but also the ability to make the best use of the English language and to write factually, concisely and clearly.  In fact the standard of reporting on MW is expected to be the same as that found in leading national newspapers, and during my three years on here that has always been the case, so I take my hat off to all of them.
IP Logged
Coldmarek
Top Seed

Andy Murray is better than you.

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #39 on: October 13, 2012, 02:40 AM »

I wonder how many of you realise what it takes to be a member of the entirely voluntary MW news team?  Not only is a good technical knowledge of the game required but also the ability to make the best use of the English language and to write factually, concisely and clearly.  In fact the standard of reporting on MW is expected to be the same as that found in leading national newspapers, and during my three years on here that has always been the case, so I take my hat off to all of them.

All that and they often sound even better than what the papers say next day.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #40 on: October 13, 2012, 06:35 AM »

Andy, good win but please dont play like this against Roger...
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #41 on: October 13, 2012, 08:13 AM »

I do enjoy reading the match reports. They reflect what has happened on court and are therefore either good entertainment or sometimes depressing. And each reporter sees such a match with different eyes apart from the obvious facts. Some criticize his demeanour on court, others are relaxed about it, some want to see a fighter in any match, others concede him to be allowed to a bad day at the office. So what? But never have I had the feeling that the writer wishes to take Andy apart. From what most posters have said here I see one clear message:Andy has produced the most exciting summer (tennis-wise, because we all have a life beyond GS and Masters) for himself and his supporters and makes us look forward to the coming events with joy. So, therefore thank you to everybody who invests his time and skills in creating this community, which I would not be able to do.
IP Logged
tomthoms
Murraymaniac

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #42 on: October 13, 2012, 09:16 AM »

To me Boogers is an integral part of my Murray World experience. Particularly his appearances on the live match threads.

He represents the part of me that is thinking “What is that stupid bugger doing out there?! Why is being so passive?!” etc. while I am actually posting “MON’ ANDY!” There has been many, many times whilst he has been pointing out to us all just how pathetic Andy’s play is or predicting Andy’s loss of the match, I wished he was within arms reach so I could grab him by the throat and shut the ******* up! (Or, at least have him in hologram form so I could shout at it/him and throw stuff at him!) But, as many times as I have felt the need to grab him, I have enjoyed witnessing an Andy come-back that shuts the ******* up! (And I kind of suspect that Boogers has been expecting that come-back all along).

Boogers is my alter ego’s voice of all those many times that Andy Murray is not playing like Andy Murray can/should. He relates those times like they are; No thrills, no excuses, no bull****!

Boogers is the fan that lives within us all who knows Andy can play a lot better than that and he sets out to let us all know that he is pissed off that Andy is not!

Boogers has been a devoted fan long enough to merit being an integral. Without Boogers out there, Murray World would not be the Murray World we all know and Andy’s match turn-arounds would not be as half enjoyable as they are. . Thanks for your input and keep up the good work Boogers.  (Ya *******!)   thumb up 

(Edited and censored by Caz).  
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #43 on: October 13, 2012, 09:22 AM »

Lol tomthoms, never knew u could post more than one liners.... Whistle
(love your editor btw  Fingers crossed)
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Fractious Murray outlasts Stepanek « Reply #44 on: October 13, 2012, 09:57 AM »

Oh.......very well said Tom! I think you speak for many of us [including me]!  flowers
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »