Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  GB struggling after doubles loss 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

GB struggling after doubles loss

(Read 800 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

GB struggling after doubles loss « on: April 08, 2006, 03:38 PM »

Great Britain must win both of Sunday's Davis Cup singles matches against Serbia & Montenegro after losing the doubles 3-6 6-3 3-6 4-6 on Saturday.

The return of Andy Murray to partner Greg Rusedski was not enough to stop Nenad Zimonjic and Ilia Bozoljac.

Murray missed Friday's singles after struggling with a bacterial infection, and he started slowly in the doubles.

He dropped his first service game and, despite rallying in set two, the British pair went down in four.

- Full Story (bbc.co.uk)
[ Last edit by Mark April 09, 2006, 02:32 PM ] IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran

Re: GB struggling after doubles loss « Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 05:39 PM »

Bad news guys....

"We got an absolutely shocking call in the first game of the fourth set, and I told the umpire how bad he was," Murray admitted afterwards.

"I swore at him and would have preferred everyone not to hear it but that's what happens in sport sometimes when you get angry."

Match referee Norbert Pieck said: "I can confirm that Great Britain will be fined for the behaviour of Andy Murray - we will announce the size of the fine on Sunday."

So Andy will be fined for his behaviour..... i'll be honest and say it's fair, and really he was a bit out of order.....

IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: GB struggling after doubles loss « Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 06:05 PM »

it was out of order, but i think he should be excused this ONCE.. if it happeneds again there should be a large fine.
IP Logged
richie c
Futures Level

Re: GB struggling after doubles loss « Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 06:39 PM »

great news that. Another critial mistake by Bates give urself a pat on the back. Auckland should have played, two late now. 
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: GB struggling after doubles loss « Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 06:41 PM »

it was out of order, but i think he should be excused this ONCE.. if it happeneds again there should be a large fine.

But the thing is, he was fairly abusive to the umpire for an extended period of time, and he refused to shake his hand. Thats just uncalled for.
I think the fine is deserved - yes things happen in the heat of competition and I understand that, but as a sportman he is a role model too.
IP Logged
Eddster
Satellite Level

Re: GB struggling after doubles loss « Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 06:53 PM »

I didn't mind him swearing at the umpire at all it shows he cares. Also the call was wrong so he was right to in my opinion, the umpire didn't seem to be very good and if we had had hawkeye for the tie (and eventually everywhere) or at least amended the rules for clay to apply to all surfaces that leave a mark then this would not have happened.

Although he has said he's trying to calm down which I think he has done since the AO. I think his lack of preparation due to reasons beyond his control was the catalyst for his outburst and also Rusedski visibly tiring during the match and so putting more pressure on Murray.

Hopefully Rusedksi can recover and win against Djokovic and then Murray win the tie against Tipsarevic.
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran

Re: GB struggling after doubles loss « Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 06:56 PM »

....but, thinking about it now....his actions towards the umpire at the end, was really totally wrong....okay fair enough he made some wrong calls, but then for Andy to deliberately not shake his hand (which is expected of all players after the match) and make a huge show of it, and swear at him is just rude if you ask me....  Think
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: GB struggling after doubles loss « Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 06:57 PM »

Although he has said he's trying to calm down which I think he has done since the AO. I think his lack of preparation due to reasons beyond his control was the catalyst for his outburst and also Rusedski visibly tiring during the match and so putting more pressure on Murray.

Thats definitely fair enough - the situation was tough and with so little preparation he did pretty well. BUT...it wasn't just one call....he was repeatedly abusive....
And his passion is inspirational and contagious, but sometimes he just needs to put a lid on it.

But....I wasn't there, I'm not him - and this is only my opinion. Whatever works for him.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: GB struggling after doubles loss « Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 06:57 PM »

Thats definitely fair enough - the situation was tough and with so little preparation he did pretty well. BUT...it wasn't just one call....he was repeatedly abusive....its just not on.
And his passion is inspirational and contagious, but sometimes he just needs to put a lid on it.

But....I wasn't there, I'm not him - and this is only my opinion. Whatever works for him.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: GB struggling after doubles loss « Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 07:05 PM »

Hey Laura ... how long you been Tour Champion?
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: GB struggling after doubles loss « Reply #10 on: April 08, 2006, 07:06 PM »

Since 4000 posts! A few days Wink
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: GB struggling after doubles loss « Reply #11 on: April 08, 2006, 07:11 PM »

Cool!  I've only just noticed, hard to keep track these days.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »