Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Golden Murray demolishes Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 19 Go Down Reply
Author

Golden Murray demolishes Federer

(Read 7789 times)
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #165 on: August 06, 2012, 09:13 PM »

According to a Norwegian newspaper Federer has said he will compete in the Rio-2016 to achieve a Singles gold medal.

Nothing like being optimistic is there?  haha
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #166 on: August 06, 2012, 09:19 PM »

According to a Norwegian newspaper Federer has said he will compete in the Rio-2016 to achieve a Singles gold medal.

Nothing like being optimistic is there?  haha

w00t  Did someone mention cloud cockoo land!!
[ Last edit by Tessie August 06, 2012, 09:22 PM ] IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #167 on: August 06, 2012, 09:22 PM »

Nothing like being optimistic is there?  haha

Surely he'll be long gone by then?  Not sure about Andy's chances either cos it'll be on clay but maybe he'll be winning on all surfaces by then.  Let's hope
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #168 on: August 06, 2012, 10:28 PM »

Andy still has a chance of the 'Golden Slam' - realistically Fed hasn't!

Lol!! Yeh no probs for Andy its in the bag. :p
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #169 on: August 06, 2012, 10:40 PM »

I think the quote they're referring to is that he "would like" to be able to play it in 2016, which they've just twisted as the media so often do. Unless he's come out and said that since yesterday, in which case ignore me.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #170 on: August 07, 2012, 01:46 AM »

Achievements to the right. That's the first of many that will start to fill up the banner from right to left. Looking forward to putting on those Grand Slam trophies.
Ah - I see. Smile

I read in two of yesterday's more reliable newspapers that the powers-that-be at Wimbledon are considering erecting a statue to Andy in recognition of this achievement and will discuss it at their meeting next month.  Sorry, but if the story is true, that sounds decidedly OTT to me and something I don't think Andy would want.  Apart from anything else - would he really appreciate coming face to face with himself every time he plays there?

I'm in no way denigrating Andy's magnificent achievement, but things have to be put into perspective.  Yes he's the first British player to win gold since 1908, but the fact is that between 1924 and 1988 tennis wasn't an Olympic sport.

I believe though that a post box in Dunblane (location yet undecided) is to be painted gold to celebrate the occasion.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #171 on: August 07, 2012, 02:21 AM »

Ah - I see. Smile

I read in two of yesterday's more reliable newspapers that the powers-that-be at Wimbledon are considering erecting a statue to Andy in recognition of this achievement and will discuss it at their meeting next month.  Sorry, but if the story is true, that sounds decidedly OTT to me and something I don't think Andy would want.  Apart from anything else - would he really appreciate coming face to face with himself every time he plays there?

I'm in no way denigrating Andy's magnificent achievement, but things have to be put into perspective.  Yes he's the first British player to win gold since 1908, but the fact is that between 1924 and 1988 tennis wasn't an Olympic sport.

I believe though that a post box in Dunblane (location yet undecided) is to be painted gold to celebrate the occasion.
Well he already has to face that at Shanghai. lol

But yes, that would be over the top, and shouldn't be thought about until after he's retired, hopefully having won there..

Let's not get carried away. Winning the Olympics is a fantastic achievement (obviously) but a Slam always has been and always be priority number one.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #172 on: August 07, 2012, 06:29 AM »

Hope statue idea is a wind up. Not appropriate till he wins the damn thing.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #173 on: August 07, 2012, 09:37 AM »

Hope statue idea is a wind up. Not appropriate till he wins the damn thing.

Don't think it is a wind up. Wimbledon want to commemorate the fact that they have hosted the London 2012 Olympic Tennis event in some way. The fact that our scruffy, amazingly talented man has given them a home grown victor is the icing on the cake. After all the actual Wimbledon championship this year was just the test event for the Olympics....!!! John Mac has pronounced the event to be on par with a Grand Slam, and he is a VIP tennis bod. Yes probably over the top a little bit, but Mr M has just become the 2012 Olympic Gold Medalist. Independent of his nationality, that is a supreme achievement. Let them give him a statue, they would have aknowledged the event regardless of who won. It will probable embarrass the hell out of him, but tough. He deserves all the accolades.  He has come back time after time to "try, try again", and finally won the prize. If anything that is the major legacy of this achievement to the youngsters out there. I personally am completely ok with the idea. Andy Murray has taken dome much pressure from the British public over the years, and so much over the top crap from the British press, an over the top response to victory seems just and fair to me.  More importantly there needs to be an addition to the boards outside Centre Court with the results of the 2012 Olympics on it. I am sure there will be.

Grand Slam victories come and go (and should be coming soon to a Murray near you), but at the end of the year the trophy has to be given back. Andy M has got his medals for life.  He is a Gold Medal Olympian, and will be part of all the fuss that the country will now make about these sportsman and he will be standing there in the front ranks, with the Gold Medal Winners.

Another point in this ramble is our Mr M, has come out of the closet a bit, in this event. For all the comments the press has made about him over the years, our man has revealed himself to be a complete team player. He wanted the victory for his team - Team GB. That has come over really strongly. It must be brilliant for him, after years as the lone representative of men's tennis in this country.

Finally re watching the match, the best bit for me was the last two points, when he stood there looking like the champion he is and fired down the last two shots, with his nemesis practically ducking to get out of the way of the last one.
Apologies for the complete ramble, but I am still fired up.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #174 on: August 07, 2012, 10:32 AM »

I'm not keen on the idea of a statue, mainly because the tennis player statues that have already been done look nothing like who they're supposed to be of. Something like a commemorative plaque would be nice though - it would be good to mark Andy's Olympic win in some way.

I like how the tennis journalists are talking about a 'Big Four' again now after excluding Andy from the discussion. He needed a performance like this to prove that he can beat the top players back-to-back in a very important tournament.

He played a perfect match, really preventing Federer from dictating as he likes to. This is the type of tennis that will win him slams. I'm confident that this time next year he'll have won at least one slam, maybe more.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #175 on: August 07, 2012, 11:48 AM »

Agree Katie, a plaque would be gr8 and commemorative without being showy. I really do feel he's got to win Wimbles b4 something so grand is put up.
There's a truly dreadful statue of Andy in Shanghai or somewhere, can't remember.
Hope someone brings out a DVD of Andy's Olympics. Would br8 habit of a lifetime and re-watch. yay
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #176 on: August 07, 2012, 12:07 PM »

Hi Katie and all,

You've taken the words right out of my mouth.

I can't imagine Andy, assuming he had any say in it, going for the idea of a statue at all. I suspect he'd find it quite mortifying, and can you imagine what the reaction of his team would be, something along the lines of  roflmao I imagine lol.

I do think something would be nice to mark the fact that the Olympic tennis was at Wimbledon, and that Andy won it. A plaque would be nice, or something along the lines of the table of Wimbledon Champions at the entrance to Centre Court. Maybe a table of all the Olympic Champions would be good. I know it went years without being an Olympic event, but still, that isn't Andy's problem. I know it hasn't been at Wimbledon each time, but that seems irrelevant to me. Personally I like the idea of a table of Olympic Singles Champions where Andy's name is right there as a Champion and Federer's is nowhere to be found...She says, reminding herself not to gloat!

I would agree wholeheartedly with those of you who have spoken about the way the Olympics has shown Andy as a real team player. I love the way he has completely embraced the whole experience, and yet done it in a way that showed he was there to play, not just enjoy the atmosphere. Before the Olympics, in all the media stuff that was done, and even during Wimbledon when it was mentioned, it stood out a mile for me that Andy couldn't wait to get started. He was raring to go. I have to give credit though, for Andy to still be so up for it in the aftermath of losing the Wimbledon final says so much for his strength of character. I don't know about anyone else, but I do think some within tennis thought that it was a 'plucky' loss that may will trigger the end of Andy's chances as a real contender, and that maybe a slide down the rankings would start. Well, he has thrown any sense of that out of the window. The 'big three' is well and truly a 'big four', without a shadow of a doubt.

I loved Andy's reaction to winning the Olympic Gold. It looked to me like he couldn't quite take it in at first. I loved the way he instinctively went to be with all of the team. They really do see everything, the ups and downs, the wins, the losses, and they have the job of putting him back together, helping him be the best he can be. I'd like to think Lendl was watching somewhere, because although he couldn't honestly take much satisfaction out of a GB Gold in itself, I'd love to think he would take satisfaction from the way Andy played, both in the semi and the final. Rarely, if ever before, have I seen Andy play in such a way that responded so beautifully to any inkling of threat. It was like he went out there and made it quite clear that he was winning and no one was going to take it away from him, no one. Look at all the break point chances Federer had in the final. Andy could have caved, could have gone in to his shell and reverted to defensive play, which is what Federer might have expected. Instead, with his game, Andy seemed to say, 'You can get off, this is MINE', and he came through. It was awesome, absolutely breathtaking. It chokes me up to think of it.

Yesterday I bought a newspaper for the first time in ages. I couldn't resist the photo of Andy on the front of the Telegraph. That great leap he did in to the air when the realisation of what he'd done sank in really caught my imagination. More than that though, the look of sheer unadulterated joy on his face said it all. I think that has carried him through in his interviews. On the TV interviews I've seen Andy has a gleam in his eyes, a smile I would say, that says it all. He does seem more relaxed, more at ease with himself. Dare I say it, he looks like a weight has been lifted from him.

I'm sure an air of caution about the future is wise. Andy will have to be careful in the days and weeks ahead not to get silly or carried away. I have no doubt on that score he will be fine. Naturally, at the USO and beyond there will be competition. No one is going to hand Andy a major now. I won't go in to all the potential threats, we all know who they are. However, something tells me that something has shifted. My feeling is that Andy, with Lendl beside him, has completely prioritised the majors now, and for me the Olympics fits in to that, even if it doesn't in terms of ranking points. I am not overly concerned about the Masters tournaments just now, as long as Andy feels he has done well enough. In terms of the majors though, Andy played so well in Australia, he so nearly had Djokovic in that semi. The French was a blip, although a quarter final when you aren't 100% fit (because he wasn't at that point, not at all) was a credit to him. He was truly outstanding at Wimbledon. I will never forget the way he took Davydenko apart, withstood Karlovic's bombs, beat Baghdatis and the clock, utterly confused Cilic, fought the good fight with Ferrer, overcame a Tsonga fightback and came through a 1966 'they think it's all over', moment against the same, and then took it to Federer for almost two sets. Then there was the Olympics, and apart from the nervy moments with Baghdatis Andy played beautiful, beautiful tennis, again with a tough draw. You know, it makes me think he might well have beaten Berdych after all, but thank God we didn't have to find out. God bless Darcis Whistle. As long as I live I will never forget the way he beat Djokovic and Federer. I just wish I'd recorded the final. I ended up with the DVD Recorder on the wrong stupid channel!

I don't know, and I don't like to tempt fate, but the way Andy has progressed this year, both in his game and in his mind, does not feel like a fluke to me. I know Nadal has been out of the picture lately, but to be fair even without him the competition isn't easy, and Andy has come through. It really does feel to me as if Andy has at last opened that door and is standing on the edge of his destiny. I really think he believes now. I think the next phase will be fascinating to watch.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #177 on: August 07, 2012, 12:21 PM »

Andy had a statue of him made in the "likeness" of one of the ancient terracotta soldiers. Its right outside the shanghai stadium as he is a multiple winner there. it looks horrendous however so i doubt he would be up for that. No statues for Wimbledon as bbh says. Terribly inapproprite as he has not won there.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #178 on: August 07, 2012, 12:28 PM »

Andy had a statue of him made in the "likeness" of one of the ancient terracotta soldiers. Its right outside the shanghai stadium as he is a multiple winner there. it looks horrendous however so i doubt he would be up for that. No statues for Wimbledon as bbh says. Terribly inapproprite as he has not won there.
He won there a couple of days ago bro, not sure if you saw it? It was quite a big thing I hear.

(I know what you mean. Wink)
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #179 on: August 07, 2012, 12:42 PM »

He won there a couple of days ago bro, not sure if you saw it? It was quite a big thing I hear.

(I know what you mean. Wink)

He won the olympics not Wimbledon, even if it was IN wimbledon.
And yes, i know you know what i mean.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 19 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »