Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Golden Murray demolishes Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 Go Down Reply
Author

Golden Murray demolishes Federer

(Read 8507 times)
mcenroeforever
Satellite Level

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #255 on: August 13, 2012, 01:59 PM »

A fun piece from Mark Steel about the Olympics generaly but with a nice mention of Andy.  He's a real fan as he's written about him a number of times decrying the way he's been treated by the Great English Public:
http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/mark-steel/mark-steel-cyclists-women-refugees--vindicated-at-last-8022577.html

oh and re the Belfast whatsit - Johnny Mac is arguing Olympic gold should be treated as equivalent of a GS title.  So they know more about tennis than he does do they?  Whistle
The Olympic tennis event should definitely at least be on a par in terms of ranking points and prestige to the Tour Finals which although really enjoyable i find sometimes has a back slapping exhibition feel to it..the only reason i can think of as to why this isn't the case is the effect on the rankings when the points drop off the following year which would be more extreme with more points at stake etc..thank you for the article, it's a lovely feeling to finally see Andy being appreciated so much in the media here.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #256 on: August 13, 2012, 02:15 PM »

That's a good point about the dropping off effect mf.  While personally I don't think they should get the same ranking points as a gs, given they require 7 5-set matches, it does seem odd they get less than a masters, which has fewer matches and no 5-set final.  It does seem to downgrade the significance and yet from the response to Andy's success it's clear the tennis world does  take it seriously.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #257 on: August 13, 2012, 03:00 PM »

Hi All,

I think the Olympic tennis really ought to be equal to a slam. I know there is a perfectly good argument to say that it isn't the same as a slam because it is predominantly best of three rather than best of five, but I think you have to look at it from the viewpoint of the bigger picture. To my mind tennis is right up there with other Olympic events in terms of the levels of skills a player needs to have, and to my mind it deserves to be considered as a valid Olympic sport, which some would still argue it isn't. I think giving it the same points as a slam, or even as a Masters, would give it that bit of extra validity in some eyes.

I think you have to look to the future as well. I was reading an article the other day, a Reuters piece, which was talking about how the tennis in Rio would be likely to go. The basis for the article was that by 2016 Federer will probably be gone, likewise the Williams sisters. The implication in the piece was that without them the tennis will lose its appeal as an Olympic spectacle. I think that's ridiculous, and I commented to that effect. My point was that obviously no one knows what the future will hold, Nadal could also be long gone by the time 2016 comes around. However, barring injury or some other disaster, I would imagine Andy will still be playing, having won majors, and Djokovic too. I could see a time when they would become the great rivalry of the sport - we all know tennis likes its rivalries, so why not? Also, who knows who will have come up through the ranks and made a name for themselves by then? Ollie Golding might even be being touted as 'the new Andy Murray' - stranger things have happened lol.

My other point was that I do think something needs to be done to give the players continued incentive to play the Olympics, and to my mind the best way to do that is to make it really mean something in terms of the points.

I think it is a shame as well that points won in the Olympics only stand for a year. I can see why they do, but it is a shame, especially when the fact that the players can't defend them each year isn't their fault. Maybe a system needs to be found that would allow players to keep their Olympic ranking points until the next Olympics.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #258 on: August 13, 2012, 03:16 PM »

Where did you get the DVD from Teejay? I would like one of the Djokovic and the Fed match...just to experience that ecstasy once more. Smile

Try www.tennisdvdworld.net

I know they are just recordings from TV. I'm sure some would say that if they'd thought they could have recorded the matches themselves. I thought that too, after the event lol.

I have used the site myself and found them to be okay. Obviously, expect good quality, not pro quality DVD's.

When I went on there looking for Andy's Olympic matches (I just couldn't not have them, you know how it is lol), they only had the quarter final, the semi and the final. Now they have all of them. I've just ordered the first three rounds.

The other day I ordered Andy's last three Olympic matches and all his Wimbledon matches. It was my treat to myself to celebrate Andy doing so well.

It's funny, watching the Olympic semi and final, it is much easier to watch them when you know the result lol. I didn't realise at the time how Andy looked more nervous for the semi than he did for the final.

It was interesting in the semi to see Djokovic getting so frustrated because he couldn't break Andy's serve, and watching Smugfed getting annoyed with the crowd (it was clearly winding him up) support Andy was getting is priceless!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #259 on: August 13, 2012, 04:32 PM »

that's really useful to know tj - thanks.   Now it's just a question of whether to order them all or not.
IP Logged
Patsy
Satellite Level

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #260 on: August 13, 2012, 04:40 PM »

Thanks teejay, have just ordered a copy of the gold medal match, can't wait to watch it again! Like you I was so excited , I forgot to record it.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #261 on: August 13, 2012, 07:14 PM »

......It's funny, watching the Olympic semi and final, it is much easier to watch them when you know the result lol. I didn't realise at the time how Andy looked more nervous for the semi than he did for the final.

It was interesting in the semi to see Djokovic getting so frustrated because he couldn't break Andy's serve, and watching Smugfed getting annoyed with the crowd (it was clearly winding him up) support Andy was getting is priceless!
Many thanks for the link, I have just placed my order for the Olympic AM/ND semi- and gold final. Like you said, to be able to sit back and just enjoy the match, safe in the knowledge that the result is in the bag!  tv kicking cmonandy
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #262 on: August 13, 2012, 07:23 PM »

Hi Ruthie, Patsy and all,

No problem, glad to be of help.

I admit it, I have no restraint at all. I just had to buy all of them. It cost me a bit, but what the heck. The way I look at it is that I will have the matches to watch for years to come, and I'm bound to watch them again and again. Since I bought the Olympic matches I've already watched the final and semi again. The crowds roaring Andy on get me every time, as well as the look of sheer delight on Andy's face in winning both matches.

The funning thing is that it still feels like a dream to me, so Lord knows what it must be like for Andy. Still, he knows that it is shoulder to the wheel time again with the USO so close, so that must bring him back down to earth with a bit of a bump.

I must admit I felt for our tennis players a bit last night, especially Andy and young Laura. I must admit that I turned the closing ceremony off last night after about fifteen or twenty minutes, it wasn't my thing, but I do think it was a shame that Andy and Laura couldn't be there to be part of celebrating our success, especially bearing in mind they had to miss the opening ceremony (for the right reasons) as well.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #263 on: August 13, 2012, 07:27 PM »

I have used the site myself and found them to be okay. Obviously, expect good quality, not pro quality DVD's.
Thanks for that info teejay.. however, my system is NTSC in Canada and US, and I see their format is PAL, therefore they wouldn't work for me.

Something other folks should take into consideration if ordering.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #264 on: August 13, 2012, 07:29 PM »

Thanks for that info teejay.. however, my system is NTSC in Canada and US, and I see their format is PAL, therefore they wouldn't work for me.

Something other folks should take into consideration if ordering.

I'm a bit stupid with that sort of thing. Are you sure they won't work? I'm pretty sure they are region free. It might be worth dropping them an e-mail on the subject.

What a shame if they won't work in certain areas.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #265 on: August 14, 2012, 06:33 PM »

Have ordered QF, SF and F - I can see I'll be back to that website tj.  Many thanks for giving us the link.  Loved the description they give of Andy's triumph over smugfed  yay
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #266 on: August 15, 2012, 12:27 PM »

Have ordered QF, SF and F - I can see I'll be back to that website tj.  Many thanks for giving us the link.  Loved the description they give of Andy's triumph over smugfed  yay

My pleasure Ruthie.

I thought the description of the final was great too lol.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #267 on: August 15, 2012, 05:42 PM »

http://www.tennisdvds.net/index.htm

Here is a site where you can order dvd's for US, Canada and International which may be helpful to those needing NTSC recordings.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #268 on: August 18, 2012, 03:10 AM »

I watched the final again yesterday, Fantastic! I love Andy giving Fed a pasting! I ordered my 1st day cover stamps last Monday, got an email with a ref no. but it did say 5 days until delivery, so I'm hoping they will come today. I too will frame mine. Smile

Mine still haven't arrived though they only took the money out of my bank account on Wednesday. Here's hoping they arrive next week crossfingers

Just thought I'd share the TVNZ 3News article with you all - Murray drubs Federer for gold

http://www.3news.co.nz/Murray-drubs-Federer-for-gold/tabid/1697/articleID/264200/Default.aspx

* andy-murray-1200.jpg (40.65 KB, 460x307 - viewed 151 times.)
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Golden Murray demolishes Federer « Reply #269 on: August 18, 2012, 11:51 AM »

Mine arrived yesterday. I ordered them about 20 days ago. Got 2 so Ill frame on set and send the other to my friend in Australia.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »