Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup

(Read 4485 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « on: September 17, 2011, 08:20 PM »

Great Britain have beaten Hungary in their Davis Cup tie after a doubles victory by Colin Fleming and Ross Hutchins.

The doubles pair beat Attila Balazs and Kornel Bardoczky 6-3 6-4 6-4 at Glasgow's Braehead Arena.

The win gave GB an unbeatable 3-0 lead in the tie and secures promotion into Euro/Africa Zone Group 1.
[ Last edit by Allan September 17, 2011, 11:49 PM ] IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 09:13 PM »

Well done everyone.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 06:34 AM »

Jolly good show, all!
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 12:37 PM »

Very Happy
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 02:54 PM »

Hooray!
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 03:26 PM »

Are Murray and Fleming Team Scotland or Team GB?  Why are they wearing Addidas regular shirts with no mention of Great Britain, unlike Hutchins and Ward with Great Britain on their backs, as with Hungary shown on the shirts of all the opposition.   It didn't go unnoticed that Andy managed to sing the Scottish anthem today and yet on Friday stayed silent for God Save the Queen.   I appreciate the Scottish venue, but perhaps a little too much I'll Take The High Road.  Maybe the next tie will come to London and we can do The Lambeth Walk and sing Jerusalem every day.  Refreshing to see Majorcan Nadal today wearing total Spanish kit, as were the rest of the team - all matching.  Team GB were an absolute mish mash of clothing.  At least their tracksuits were matching and gave a clue that it was in fact a "British" team.  Can't imagine our athletes looking so unidentifiable.  If some folk, in whatever sport or national representation, interpret GB to mean England, then I suggest they decline to participate on principal and demand their own national team, otherwise represent GB with pride and without any hang-ups.   I'd like to ask the LTA just who calls the shots?
IP Logged
mcenroeforever
Satellite Level

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 04:05 PM »

Are Murray and Fleming Team Scotland or Team GB?  Why are they wearing Addidas regular shirts with no mention of Great Britain, unlike Hutchins and Ward with Great Britain on their backs, as with Hungary shown on the shirts of all the opposition.   It didn't go unnoticed that Andy managed to sing the Scottish anthem today and yet on Friday stayed silent for God Save the Queen.   I appreciate the Scottish venue, but perhaps a little too much I'll Take The High Road.  Maybe the next tie will come to London and we can do The Lambeth Walk and sing Jerusalem every day.  Refreshing to see Majorcan Nadal today wearing total Spanish kit, as were the rest of the team - all matching.  Team GB were an absolute mish mash of clothing.  At least their tracksuits were matching and gave a clue that it was in fact a "British" team.  Can't imagine our athletes looking so unidentifiable.  If some folk, in whatever sport or national representation, interpret GB to mean England, then I suggest they decline to participate on principal and demand their own national team, otherwise represent GB with pride and without any hang-ups.   I'd like to ask the LTA just who calls the shots?
I don't blame Andy for not singing GSTQ..i support the GB team but do you really expect Andy to sing that horrible excuse for an anthem? Here's some of the lyrics in case you don't know them..Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring
May he sedition hush
And like a torrent rush
Rebellious Scots to crush
God save the Queen

Give Andy a break, he gets slagged off when he doesn't turn out for GB then gets it in the neck when he does.
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 04:39 PM »

I don't blame Andy for not singing GSTQ..i support the GB team but do you really expect Andy to sing that horrible excuse for an anthem? Here's some of the lyrics in case you don't know them..Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring
May he sedition hush
And like a torrent rush
God save the Queen

Give Andy a break, he gets slagged off when he doesn't turn out for GB then gets it in the neck when he does.

I doubt many people know beyond the first verse, but I'll concede.  However, not happy about the lack of co-ordinating kit.  This would never happen with Team GB in athletes or swimming, for instance, and would therefore like to see a lot more thought put into this.  Lovely tracksuits, so why not the rest of their outfits?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 04:49 PM »

I'm 100% Scottish and as patriotic as the rest of us, but I entirely agree with you and think it's disgraceful and disrespectful to the English players to have the Scottish aspect rammed down their throats.   This a GB team effort not a Scottish one.  I'm absolutely sure the next DC tie will take place in England and in fact I have to say that I wasn't happy when Braehead was chosen for this tie.  Yes I'm very proud of the fact that Andy is a Scot, but this is taking things a bit too far.

May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring
May he sedition hush
And like a torrent rush
God save the Queen

Oh for goodness sake - that particular verse got thrown out the window 150 years ago! 
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 04:50 PM »

I doubt many people know beyond the first verse, but I'll concede.  However, not happy about the lack of co-ordinating kit.  This would never happen with Team GB in athletes or swimming, for instance, and would therefore like to see a lot more thought put into this.  Lovely tracksuits, so why not the rest of their outfits?

Kit could be something to do with Adidas sponsorship perhaps?  Am I mistaken in thinking that Andy was the only player who bowed to the royal box at Wimbledon this year when Wills and Kate were there?  Many players don't sing the national anthem before a match.  Have you ever watched rugby or football teams when they are lined up - many players are thinking more about the game in hand than singing the anthem.  Perhaps the 'scottishness' of the event was a bit OTT but it seems poor Andy can't do right for doing wrong for some folks - give the boy a break!
[ Last edit by Alis September 18, 2011, 04:55 PM ] IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 04:54 PM »

Could be something to do with Adidas sponsorship perhaps?

So are some players "handcuffed" at all events?  Leon's Smith's tracksuit top was definitely Nike.  Was Murray's?  I think Ward was wearing Fila on the sleeve of his playing shirt.  I can't believe there isn't uniformity at national/international level.  I doubt they'll get away with it at the Olympics.
IP Logged
mcenroeforever
Satellite Level

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 05:07 PM »

All i'm saying is that it's hardly the unifying anthem that it could and should be and I don't think there's any obligation for Andy to sing it if he doesn't feel it's appropriate to. I actually thought it was a nice touch to wear 'Scotland blue' today given the venue location, maybe the other players could have fallen into line with Andy and Colin on this one?
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 05:15 PM »

So are some players "handcuffed" at all events?  Leon's Smith's tracksuit top was definitely Nike.  Was Murray's?  I think Ward was wearing Fila on the sleeve of his playing shirt.  I can't believe there isn't uniformity at national/international level.  I doubt they'll get away with it at the Olympics.

Andy's shirt was definitely Adidas and I think Colin and Ross' were too.  I'm pretty sure that, given the level of sponsorship they give to their players, Adidas would want their pound of flesh on such a large stage.  Only guessing of course!   
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 05:30 PM »

May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring
May he sedition hush
And like a torrent rush
God save the Queen

Just checked out the words for O Flower of Scotland.  Pot, kettle.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 05:31 PM »

All i'm saying is that it's hardly the unifying anthem that it could and should be and I don't think there's any obligation for Andy to sing it if he doesn't feel it's appropriate to. I actually thought it was a nice touch to wear 'Scotland blue' today given the venue location, maybe the other players could have fallen into line with Andy and Colin on this one?
There have been several changes to the verses of GSTQ since it was first composed at the time of the 1745 Jacobite Rebellion.  Nowadays only the first verse is sung, except on very rare occasions, so what's everyone's problem?  God save our gracious Queen applies as much to Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland as it does to England.  Nothing contentious about that.

Well done to TEAM GB for a great performance. yay toot yay
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »