Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup

(Read 4000 times)
mcenroeforever
Satellite Level

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 05:41 PM »

Just checked out the words for O Flower of Scotland.  Pot, kettle.
Eh?..when did i mention Flower Of Scotland? (which to my knowledge has never been used as a British anthem)..All i'm doing is defending Andy and his previously mentioned 'hang ups' about representing GB, I don't see why not singing GSTQ is evidence of this that's all.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 06:04 PM »

Just watched early evening BBC and ITV news and am ranting every blessed football result...and who cares, given, and NO mention of Davis Cup win at all! Grrr!
On anthem, time "God Save Queen" ditched, no longer suitable for modern times. Isn't it a Victorian relic anyway?
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 06:13 PM »

Just watched early evening BBC and ITV news and am ranting every blessed football result...and who cares, given, and NO mention of Davis Cup win at all! Grrr!
On anthem, time "God Save Queen" ditched, no longer suitable for modern times. Isn't it a Victorian relic anyway?

I thought the same BBH - World Cup rugby, every football result going, Great North Run, some boxing match in US but no mention of Davis cup - typical!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 06:20 PM »

Alis, I know, some obscure boxing match!! Oh dear, ranting again! Alcohol......No wonder tennis talent is so sparse in this country!
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 06:42 PM »

Thoroughly enjoyed both Davis Cup matches in Scotland, such a rare occurence to have a high profile tennis tournament up here therefore I think we should be allowed to show what a Scottish welcome is all about.  GSTQ is not exactly 'sing along' music but the Bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomand (which Andy sang along to) and Flower of Scotland is, so to single out Andy for not singing GSTQ you would need to single out half the team and spectators as being disrespectful is unfair.  I don't want to get into a spat about England v Scotland but I can recall shouts of 'come on Tim' at Wimbledon, so lets just call a truce on the matter and applaud the GB Team for a wonderful display and the Braehead staff for making it such a success.  Hope to have the GB Team back in the future.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 06:48 PM »

Besides Iris, the queen hates tennis...Wink
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 06:54 PM »

I rest my case  hug
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 07:25 PM »

Nobody has bowed to the Queen at Wimbledon for years and yet Andy chose to do so last year and it was very well received.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 07:48 PM »

Nobody has bowed to the Queen at Wimbledon for years and yet Andy chose to do so last year and it was very well received.

Well, she hadn't been to Wimbledon for years. Wasn't the last time to see dear Ginny? She certainly curtseyed. Anyway, can you imagine the Daily Mail's reaction if he hadn't? Discretion is the better part of valour...sometimes.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 10:27 PM »

Thoroughly enjoyed both Davis Cup matches in Scotland, such a rare occurence to have a high profile tennis tournament up here therefore I think we should be allowed to show what a Scottish welcome is all about.  GSTQ is not exactly 'sing along' music but the Bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomand (which Andy sang along to) and Flower of Scotland is, so to single out Andy for not singing GSTQ you would need to single out half the team and spectators as being disrespectful is unfair.  I don't want to get into a spat about England v Scotland but I can recall shouts of 'come on Tim' at Wimbledon, so lets just call a truce on the matter and applaud the GB Team for a wonderful display and the Braehead staff for making it such a success.  Hope to have the GB Team back in the future.

Well said, Iris.
It sometimes seems like every single thing Andy says/ doesn't say/ sings/ doesn't sing/ does/ doesn't do/ wears/ doesn't wear etc etc has to be picked over and analysed, usually with a negative slant. Why not just chill out and let him be himself?
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 10:56 PM »

Well, she hadn't been to Wimbledon for years. Wasn't the last time to see dear Ginny? She certainly curtseyed. Anyway, can you imagine the Daily Mail's reaction if he hadn't? Discretion is the better part of valour...sometimes.

As I recall he was introduced to the Queen last year who watched him play - this year he bowed to Wills and Kate - quite unscripted - they enjoyed it and so did the crowd.  I agree with Matchpoint - it seems that Andy can't do anything without negative scrutiny, even on this site which is supposed to be frequented by his ardent supporters - it's a strange world!
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 10:57 PM »

So Nole pulls out of the davis cup and his team lose.He has a habit of doing that.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, 11:13 PM »

Just checked out the words for O Flower of Scotland.  Pot, kettle.

OMG these songs were written hundreds of years ago and mean nothing at all. It is not disgraceful or disrespectful to the English players to sing a few Scottish songs and have some bagpipes. That is a complete over-reaction. If you want to know what disrespect is listen to the English so called tennis fans at Wimbledon when Andy is playing. He would never be dissed the way he is if he was English, you know it, they know it and he knows it. I thought Braehead did a great job and everyone had a great time especially the kids and Id much rather they were singing Loch Lomond than Lady Gaga!!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 11:26 PM »

So Nole pulls out of the davis cup and his team lose.He has a habit of doing that.

Oh my Iamabritt - you risk bringing the fury of the Djoko fans down on your head - Nole does seem to have a liking for high drama though!
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Great Britain beat Hungary in Davis Cup « Reply #29 on: September 18, 2011, 11:32 PM »

Are Murray and Fleming Team Scotland or Team GB?  Why are they wearing Addidas regular shirts with no mention of Great Britain, unlike Hutchins and Ward with Great Britain on their backs, as with Hungary shown on the shirts of all the opposition.   It didn't go unnoticed that Andy managed to sing the Scottish anthem today and yet on Friday stayed silent for God Save the Queen.   I appreciate the Scottish venue, but perhaps a little too much I'll Take The High Road.  Maybe the next tie will come to London and we can do The Lambeth Walk and sing Jerusalem every day.  Refreshing to see Majorcan Nadal today wearing total Spanish kit, as were the rest of the team - all matching.  Team GB were an absolute mish mash of clothing.  At least their tracksuits were matching and gave a clue that it was in fact a "British" team.  Can't imagine our athletes looking so unidentifiable.  If some folk, in whatever sport or national representation, interpret GB to mean England, then I suggest they decline to participate on principal and demand their own national team, otherwise represent GB with pride and without any hang-ups.   I'd like to ask the LTA just who calls the shots?

I can’t believe there is such a big deal about GB on the shirts.  I have no idea why Andy wasn’t wearing a shirt with GB on it during play.  Is it right that you should immediately interpret it as a slight?  I could have sworn I saw Andy walk out with the rest of the team all wearing GB tracksuits and following the Union flag.  I could have sworn I heard GSTQ played in the stadium.  Are you telling me that Andy and Colin were silent and Ross and James sang along? I have the matches from the last tie in Braehead and Andy was wearing GB shirts during play.  I didn’t manage to see Andy play today but I saw the end of Colin’s match and he was wearing Great Britain on the back of his shirt.

Is it a requirement to sing along to GSTQ or any anthem? I’m referring to any sportsman.  Does every English football/rugby player sing along?  No, they don’t.  Does every British athlete at the Olympics sing along?  No, they don’t. Perhaps they don’t want to.  Perhaps they can’t sing very well.  Perhaps they don’t know the words. Perhaps they just listen in quiet contemplation.  Not every Scot sings along to FOS either.

Yes, it was a GB event but it’s worth remembering that this is the only time we ever get to see Andy play in Scotland.  I’ve seen him twice in Scotland (at DC) but all the other times I’ve had to travel to England and France to see him. There are many opportunities to see Andy in England – Wimbledon, Queen’s and the WTF. Can you imagine if English fans of Henman had never seen him play in England?  It’s also worth noting that before 2005 there hadn’t been a Davis Cup tie in Scotland since 1970. I’m not suggesting that Scotland should get every home tie – far from it. It’s only fair that everyone in GB should get a chance to see the Davis Cup squad. I would hope that we continue to move around venues in GB. It’s only fair.

I can’t believe that I’ve seen Andy play 2 ties in Davis Cup and he’s still getting criticised.

“I'd like to ask the LTA just who calls the shots?”  Seriously? You don’t think hiring Leon Smith and having 2 home ties in Scotland was the LTA's way of trying to ensure Andy played. Please..

Anyway, well done to team GB. I thought the whole team got great support in Glasgow.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »