Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Injured Murray retires in Rome 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Injured Murray retires in Rome

(Read 4129 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Injured Murray retires in Rome « on: May 15, 2013, 03:21 PM »

There were no happy birthdays for an injured Andy Murray at the Foro Italico today, as he retired from his second round Rome Masters match against Spaniard Marcel Granollers, with the score tied at 3-6 7-6.

On this form, it looked like Murray would lose to Marcel Proust. However, within a few games, it was obvious that the Scot was struggling with an injury.

The new world number two looked miserable, out of sorts and in pain throughout the match and finally succumbed to on-court treatment to his hip after the third game of the second set.

By that time, Granollers had sauntered to the first set and led 2-1 in the second. Although Murray winced his way to a successful second-set tiebreak, he decided not to risk aggravating the injury ahead of next week’s French Open, shook hands and traipsed off court.

Clay is proving to be an alien and discomfiting surface for the Brit and this is the third consecutive year he’s endured problems immediately before or during Roland Garros.

The retirement was only Murray’s second in his entire professional career. The other was also on clay – in Hamburg in 2007 – and also on his birthday.
[ Last edit by Grabcopy May 15, 2013, 04:07 PM ] IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 04:44 PM »

Mike Dickson ‏@Mike_Dickson_DM 7m
Andy Murray says its 'unlikely' he will play french open due to lower back problems.

Oh dear. Thanks for the report Nigel. Maybe Andy should have skipped the clay court season....

Mike Dickson ‏@Mike_Dickson_DM 3m
Downbeat press conference with Andy Murray, he'll give it 4-5 days and then take a view on whether he's ready for 'most physical' Slam.
[ Last edit by Elena May 15, 2013, 04:48 PM ] IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 04:47 PM »

Frown Not the birthday Andy would want, I sympathise completely Frown
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 04:54 PM »

Valiant effort from Andy. clap

Screw the clay and save yourself for Wimbles.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 04:55 PM »

Nice post, Linda.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 04:56 PM »

Felt so sorry for Andy and could really do without Barry Cowan's remarks, he gives a***holes a bad name!
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 04:57 PM »

What did Barry Cowan actually say?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 04:57 PM »

Andy even mentioning a possibility of not playing the French isn't a good sign. Has he missed a major since his wrist injury early on? I've gone blank.

I'm worried about Andy and I don't mind admitting it. I think if he's not going to be right he'll be wise to skip the French. He shouldn't worry about ranking points or anything like that. The most important thing is Andy's longer term career. If not playing one major helps him to recover and helps to get him right, so be it.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 05:03 PM »

Hear, hear clap
Clay sucks.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 05:12 PM »

clap clap clap clap clap Couldn't agree more. Great post.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 05:20 PM »

All this talk of no RG may just be because he is gutted about today, and as much as I hate to say it to give the doubters some justfiication for his retirement today.  Have just watched the 2nd set and the comeback and he did seem to be moving better towards the end although serving was obviously an issue. Only Andy knows how he feels and I think he will want to be fit for the grass. If he decides not to play RG then so be it I would rather he got fit for Wimbledon.

Does anyone know how the ranking will stack up if he doesn't play ? 
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 05:27 PM »

All this talk of no RG may just be because he is gutted about today, and as much as I hate to say it to give the doubters some justfiication for his retirement today.  Have just watched the 2nd set and the comeback and he did seem to be moving better towards the end although serving was obviously an issue. Only Andy knows how he feels and I think he will want to be fit for the grass. If he decides not to play RG then so be it I would rather he got fit for Wimbledon.

Does anyone know how the ranking will stack up if he doesn't play ? 

You could be onto something here. He's probably very upset right now.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 05:29 PM »

“I pulled out because there was a good chance I wouldn’t be playing tomorrow even if I was able to get through,” Murray said. “I might have to wait and see on Paris. But I’d be very surprised if I was playing in Paris.

“I have an issue with my lower back that I will try and get sorted in the coming weeks,” Murray added. “But it’s been an issue for a while now. I want to make sure it goes away and doesn’t become something that I’m playing with for a long, long time. It’s not enjoyable when you’re playing in pain, all the players will tell you that.”

“I think the shots that hurt get exaggerated more on clay,” Murray said. “When it’s a back issue, rotation tends to be the problem. And on the clay the ball comes through a lot slower, so to generate power you have to rotate more.

“Also the ball bounces higher and there’s less stability with your movement so all those things combined don’t really help.” 

“When you have the injections, they can help a bit with the pain and take some of the inflammation away,” Murray said. “But that also didn’t make me feel 100 per cent and I want to feel 100 per cent.

“I’ll speak to the guys tonight and chat with the physio and come up with a plan for the next few days. I’ll make a decision on Paris after the next five days I would have thought. I’ll obviously need to take some days off and see how it settles down. But a few days didn’t really make a difference this time so we’ll have to wait and see.”
[ Last edit by laundry May 15, 2013, 05:46 PM ] IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 06:08 PM »

I can imagine he is feeling lousy right now but is also be cautious with his comments.  I do wonder if the fact that his knee does not do well on the clay if that could contribute to the back being worse on clay as the body does compensate for different problems.  My hip problems were causing back problems which made the GP think I had a back problem but it turned out that it was my hips.  I still have slight twinges in my back but hopefully these will go when the second hip replacement is done.
IP Logged
JUNEG

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 06:26 PM »

Watched the match followed by Barry Cowan's comments. That man is totally out of order, I do not hear them talking about other tennis players like that. Andy was very obviously injured and deserves all our support including Barry Cowan's! He should be hauled up for his dreadful remarks about Andy and ordered to make a very public apology!!!!!! Good effort Andy.  clap     
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »