Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Injured Murray retires in Rome 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Injured Murray retires in Rome  (Read 3488 times)
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #75 on: May 17, 2013, 10:36 AM »

i think nine tenths of the population have a lower back problem - it's where tension sits.
I have an interesting book by Louise L Hay - Heal Your Body - The mental causes for physical illness and the metaphysical way to overcome them. 

Knee problems - stubborn ego and pride.  Inability to bend.  Fear.  Inflexibility.  Won't give in. 

Sounds familiar.

Effects of spinal misalignments - lumbar spine 3L - many knee pains

The new thought pattern is forgiveness, understanding, compassion.  I bend and flow with ease and all is well.
IP Logged
alisonfiner

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #76 on: May 17, 2013, 12:17 PM »

I thought he was having a scan today?  I understand that's what Judy said. I thought he was waiting to decide whether to play in RG?  Or has there been a more recent statement about the scan?

Just seen Mike Dickson's report in the Daily Mail, that Andy's having a scan today (Friday) to check for any structural damage before deciding about the French Open early next week.   
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #77 on: May 17, 2013, 12:54 PM »

Thanks alison.  Seen something similar in Independent today though it's confusing when they say 'today', 'tomorrow'!
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
Challenger Level

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #78 on: May 17, 2013, 04:22 PM »

Moving on.

I have a suggestion for Andy. Why doesn't he do a Nadal in reverse; namely skip ALL the "red dirt" tournaments on the bases that they have a detrimental effect on his back. Nadal has often avoided the hard court and grass tournaments owing to the effect on his knees.

Let Andy protect himself as he probably will never win a clay tournament. Therefore, there is no point in his going through the agonising motions and suffering defeats against lesser players.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #79 on: May 17, 2013, 05:49 PM »

Indeed.  Given that he's only picking up about 1000 ranking points from clay (on average) what's the point.  Unfortunately there's no Grass tournament before Queens so he'd get a bit rusty between late March (Miami) and early June - there could be Davis Cup to play which might help
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #80 on: May 17, 2013, 06:46 PM »

Moving on.

I have a suggestion for Andy. Why doesn't he do a Nadal in reverse; namely skip ALL the "red dirt" tournaments on the bases that they have a detrimental effect on his back. Nadal has often avoided the hard court and grass tournaments owing to the effect on his knees.

Let Andy protect himself as he probably will never win a clay tournament. Therefore, there is no point in his going through the agonising motions and suffering defeats against lesser players.

I could see the sense in that, but I have to mention the point I brought up when that was mentioned (in reverse of course) for Nadal before his comeback. Could Andy do it? Would he be able to do it? There are three clay Masters tournaments, two of which are compulsory. Could he keep not playing compulsory tournaments? I just don't fully understand the rules of what they can get out of, or not, as the case may be.

If Andy could do it without it having a detrimental bearing on his ranking, I wonder if there would be one or two small hard court tournaments he could play, just to give him some match time before Queen's. I know hard isn't the same as grass, but at least it would be something. Then again, it wouldn't be altogether bad if he was a bit rusty at Queen's. Andy usually finds his feet fairly quickly on the grass, and even a dodgy Queen's doesn't always translate to a dodgy Wimbledon for him.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #81 on: May 18, 2013, 10:13 AM »

The point has been made elsewhere of just how few tournaments he has played this year. Fewer than Fed? I am concerned by vertue of this that the back issue may be more serious than he has been letting on?
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #82 on: May 18, 2013, 10:13 AM »

I could see the sense in that, but I have to mention the point I brought up when that was mentioned (in reverse of course) for Nadal before his comeback. Could Andy do it? Would he be able to do it? There are three clay Masters tournaments, two of which are compulsory. Could he keep not playing compulsory tournaments? I just don't fully understand the rules of what they can get out of, or not, as the case may be.

If Andy could do it without it having a detrimental bearing on his ranking, I wonder if there would be one or two small hard court tournaments he could play, just to give him some match time before Queen's. I know hard isn't the same as grass, but at least it would be something. Then again, it wouldn't be altogether bad if he was a bit rusty at Queen's. Andy usually finds his feet fairly quickly on the grass, and even a dodgy Queen's doesn't always translate to a dodgy Wimbledon for him.
Unfortunately, I think it's clay all the way after Miami through to Queens/Halle.  Crap I know.  I hate the clay.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #83 on: May 18, 2013, 10:17 AM »

@OSS
Wasn't it Grab's April Fool's joke one year that Andy was going to do precisely that?
Or have I fallen into another universe......?
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #84 on: May 18, 2013, 10:19 AM »

Ha Ha. Maybe it wasn't so much of a joke after all!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #85 on: May 18, 2013, 02:06 PM »

@OSS
Wasn't it Grab's April Fool's joke one year that Andy was going to do precisely that?
Or have I fallen into another universe......?
it was indeed, last year - but it's a high risk strategy even if he manages to persuade the authorities that he's injured.  Perhaps in your other universe it would be possible for tennis players to opt out of one surface on grounds of physical incompatibility - but it would make the ranking system even more hellishly complicated than now  Whistle
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #86 on: May 18, 2013, 05:53 PM »

Unfortunately, I think it's clay all the way after Miami through to Queens/Halle.  Crap I know.  I hate the clay.

I thought it was probably all clay after Miami. Shame really, I hate it too.

The only other thought I have re Andy's injury is the Davis Cup tie. Is he really going to want to go back to clay right after the USO? I know it would just be a weekend of actual play, but I can't imagine playing on a surface you know causes you pain and physical problems would be ideal right after a major.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #87 on: May 18, 2013, 06:28 PM »

My big question is - why didn't Andy have the problem (whatever it is) properly attended to at the end of the last season like he said he would last year when the problem first seriously arose, when he had the benefit of two weeks extra break?  In the event, when the time came, he headed almost straight for Miami and his intensive training sessions.  No doubt his back was feeling better, but I still don't understand him.  On the other hand, if this is indeed something he has to live with can we assume that from now on in Andy will skip most, if not all, of the clay court season?  In which case, then I'm afraid Nigel's April Fool last year has spectacularly back-fired!
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #88 on: May 18, 2013, 06:32 PM »

^^^ Ooh we've been missing you Aileen, hope you're OK. And yes, I wondered what happened to the sorting it out later in the year idea.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Injured Murray retires in Rome « Reply #89 on: May 18, 2013, 06:47 PM »

I thought it was probably all clay after Miami. Shame really, I hate it too.

The only other thought I have re Andy's injury is the Davis Cup tie. Is he really going to want to go back to clay right after the USO? I know it would just be a weekend of actual play, but I can't imagine playing on a surface you know causes you pain and physical problems would be ideal right after a major.
Leon Smith talked about this the other day and said he was confident Andy would play as it's prolonged play on clay which aggravates the back and he didn't think one w/e would be a problem.  But that might be more hope than confidence and I think Andy would be wise not to do it.  It's not axiomatic he'd even win his matches on clay.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »
+ Quick Reply