Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 14 Go Down Reply
Author

Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray

(Read 6409 times)
circe
Satellite Level

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #75 on: November 01, 2012, 11:48 PM »

Ouch.  It is safe to say that Andy lost rather than being beaten.  Serving for the match was a choke of epic proportions and then he just went to utter pieces.   I'm choosing to interpret this performance as the equivalent of  growing your hair out.  Andy is changing his playing style and has reached the tipping point where he can beat the top 10 but has temporarily lost his edge over the second division.  He'll come out the other side next year, I'm certain.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #76 on: November 02, 2012, 12:10 AM »

The point is sure, Andy could have fought harder in the third, but Djokovic could have not fallen away when leading by a set (a 6-1 set at that) and 2-0 against Querrey the other day. Del Potro could possibly have not lost today too, oh and while we're all frothing with condemnation, Federer could have had the common bloody decency to show his face, but no, all the carping is aimed at Andy, and by his fans. Really nice, and very classy.

It was a close match until Andy missed those match points. Up until then Andy was fighting and being patient, not losing his rag and ranting, but focusing on getting the break. He achieved that in the first and had the match in his hands in the second.

The one remotely fair criticism that could be aimed at Andy is that at match point he lost some concentration. That maybe lifted JJ, who was already playing on adrenalin and inspiration, quite clearly.

The funny thing is that if Andy had fought hard today, gone on to win the tourney in a final that could have been long, maybe against someone like Ferrer or Berdych, and then arrived at the 02 knackered, people would have said that his priority should have been the WTF, which he has never won, not a Masters, of which he has 8. I think people should just make up their minds.

Andy was just beaten today by a player who'd gone through qualifying, and was brimming with confidence from already having taken a couple of good wins in the tourney. Meanwhile, Andy was playing his second match after not playing last week, at the last Masters of a long year that has seen his career reach new levels.

Every time Andy steps on to a court he clearly wants to win. He won't like it one bit that this is the third tournament in a row that he has had match points and lost. The thing is, he can either worry about it now and let it become an issue at the WTF, or he can move on and get himself ready for next week, where he will want to be at his best.

This is just another blip. Andy got to match points against Raonic in Japan when he clearly wasn't 100%. He beat Federer in Shanghai convincingly, before fighting a tight match with Djokovic. Now he has lost earlyish in a tourney where he has never been beyond the quarter finals, to an inspired qualifier.

Andy will be in the thick of it next week. Will JJ win another round let alone the tourney? I'll brain him if he doesn't, but I won't hold my breath.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #77 on: November 02, 2012, 01:08 AM »

Why is it Janowicz' fault if he loses tomorrow?

He played well, but come on, some people are trying to make out it's the best performance he'll ever play. Murray was average for the most part then dreadful from the tie-break onwards. If Tipsarevic comes out and plays well, why would it be Janowicz fault? He did what he could - served well and tried to cause Murray problems. Murray lost this more than anything else.

He also beat Kohlschreiber and then Cilic in straight sets. Let's not make out this is a one-off out-of-this-world performance. He's been in good form all week and merely continued that run of form today.

Also Teejay - Djokovic won the first 8 games in a row.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #78 on: November 02, 2012, 01:54 AM »

For those of you who are complaining about the headline:

a) take off the rose tinted glasses

But they said I looked cool in them

* RoseTintedGlasses[1].jpg (7.28 KB, 225x199 - viewed 178 times.)
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #79 on: November 02, 2012, 06:24 AM »

I totally with your post Teejay. 

If I had come on this website and seen the headline for this report I would probably not have joined as I was looking for somewhere this kind of thing did not happen to Andy as all the other sites I had found  continually used these kind of headlines.  I had been watching Andy's career for a very long time and was becoming so upset with the attitude to the best player we British have ever had as it is impossible to compare era with era.   I still say that his game with its winderful variation is great to watch, win or lose.

It remians to be seen if Janowicz lives up to all of this.  How many times has this player and that player been heralded to be making for the top only to fail, mainly in the GS's.  Cilic, Tsonga andf Gasquet, who was the boy prodigy.  Andy, Djoko and Nadal have, at least, lived up to the hopes we had for them especially in this very competitive era.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #80 on: November 02, 2012, 07:24 AM »

Janowicz is just another Rosol. Get a big win and then failing to back it up.

I certainly haven't seen Rosol do anything since beating Rafa. Same goes for Young, Bogomolov, Mahut and Chardy.

If people want to get negative should look up what's hanging on the top right corner of MW website, USO trophy and Gold medal. Support Andy to make one more big push for WTF before he deserves a break for the phenomenal summer he has delivered for his fans in 2012.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #81 on: November 02, 2012, 07:40 AM »

Good post tj.
And one last [I hope] comment re that dreadful headline:  Boogers you will recall that after USO you warned us that Andy might have a dip after having achieved so much.  While he has in fact played some brilliant tennis since then, notably in destroying smugfed in Shanghai and for most of the final against Nole, yes there has been something of a dip and yesterday exemplified it.  Could that earlier warning not have been reflected in the response to this defeat?  Those of us who are complaining about the headline are not saying that you should have written a glowing report - of course not - but that the headline comes across as unduly negative in a way that ill befits a website for Andy's fans.  And as Tamila said, could put off potential members.  
Oh and circe it didn't look like a choke to me but sheer carelessness and lack of focus. He thought he had the match in the bag, as did I and it's a reminder it's not all over until the fat lady sings (or has played the last ball).  Btw I don't envy you being there yesterday but like to think I heard your almost lone voice shouting for Andy.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #82 on: November 02, 2012, 08:17 AM »

Also posted on the match thread.
Reading the i paper this morning, I am more and more convinced that this was a case of Mr M taking a leaf out of Fed's book and "Chosing to lose". He doesn't want to go into the WTF even more knackered than he he already is with Fed and NJ fresh as daisies. Given he seems not to like the tournament or the surface it looks like a complete no brainer. As I have said before I also much prefer him to have less points to defend towards the end of the year. I imagine he is already back home, cuddling his dogs and Kim (probably in that order), and ready to get started with Lendl.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #83 on: November 02, 2012, 08:22 AM »

All I want to say is this-
Queens - Andy bombed in first round, some people were predicting his demise, he then went on to become the first British man to reach the Wimbledon final.

Cincy - dismantled his opponent in the first round, played below average and got beat in the second, again the gloom and doom merchants were predicting he would have a dismal USO campaign, please check the banner at the top of this Website!!

Paris - got through the first round, well below average performance and a defeat in the second, let's just wait and see what happens in the WTF...........

I don't have my "Rose tinted spectacles" on just my Come on Murray t-shirt, thick and thin, good times and bad, highs and lows, it's just all part of being a supporter, the guy has had a phenomenal year, he is still transitioning his game and is less than a year into his partnership with a new coach.  Dissapointing loss, but that's all it was in a tourney that is renowned for providing freak results due to the timing of it and the fact that the top players often have injuries, fatigue etc and are preserving themselves for the WTF.

Get behind Andy, he ain't going to let us down next week, this is the one that he wants.  Nole got beat in the second round, his fans are not writing him off.

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #84 on: November 02, 2012, 08:39 AM »

Reading the i paper this morning, I am more and more convinced that this was a case of Mr M taking a leaf out of Fed's book and "Chosing to lose". He doesn't want to go into the WTF even more knackered than he he already is with Fed and NJ fresh as daisies. Given he seems not to like the tournament or the surface it looks like a complete no brainer. As I have said before I also much prefer him to have less points to defend towards the end of the year. I imagine he is already back home, cuddling his dogs and Kim (probably in that order), and ready to get started with Lendl.
I don't think he consciously chose to lose Masaka in that he made a conscious decision and I'm sure he meant it when he said he wanted to do well in Paris but I do agree that subconsciously he was already in London and therefore wasn't prepared to make the effort needed to win after losing 2nd set due to carelessness and lack of focus. 
And MM keep on trucking in your come on Murray t-shirt.  We'll ride the roller coaster together and let the faint hearted get off when it does a dive.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #85 on: November 02, 2012, 08:40 AM »

Queens - Andy bombed in first round, some people were predicting his demise, he then went on to become the first British man to reach the Wimbledon final.

Cincy - dismantled his opponent in the first round, played below average and got beat in the second, again the gloom and doom merchants were predicting he would have a dismal USO campaign, please check the banner at the top of this Website!!

Paris - got through the first round, well below average performance and a defeat in the second, let's just wait and see what happens in the WTF...........

I don't have my "Rose tinted spectacles" on just my Come on Murray t-shirt, thick and thin, good times and bad, highs and lows, it's just all part of being a supporter, the guy has had a phenomenal year, he is still transitioning his game and is less than a year into his partnership with a new coach.  Dissapointing loss, but that's all it was in a tourney that is renowned for providing freak results due to the timing of it and the fact that the top players often have injuries, fatigue etc and are preserving themselves for the WTF.

Get behind Andy, he ain't going to let us down next week, this is the one that he wants.  Nole got beat in the second round, his fans are not writing him off.

My feelings exactly. The doom and gloom merchants are a disgrace, they are not really behind Andy through thick and thin, nor do they have any empathy for how Andy is feeling. They only want to share the glory. I hope they listened to what Mark Petchy said yesterday where he said people will be talking about the lost match point, but this can happen, it's sport these things happen. The game rests on a point here or there.Andy will now focus on his next tournament.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #86 on: November 02, 2012, 09:06 AM »

MM - agree with everything you say, as usual expressed so much better than me. I think the point about the time with Lendl is also very valid. They have said themselves that there is still so much to do. I remember six months ago the doom and gloom merchants were voracious about the Lendl match having sent him backwards and it not working. Folks should go back and read the comments from that time. This year has and still is a process of transition for him. That's probably why he really is more physically and mentally knackered than usual. It has really taken guts to do that. Look at the results - what he wanted more than anything else in the world (according to him) was a GS, he has got that now. Inevitably he will be feeling a bit flat after that. It doesn't matter how good Christmas and the new toys are everybody feels a bit low afterwards. It is natural. We need to give the lad a break. He needs to get himself sorted in his own head, and work out the new goals. That takes time and energy. Let him do it at his own pace. Most of us said after the USO we didn't care what happened for the rest if the year. We need to play fair, and recognise he is still the Mr M we know and love. Respect him for what and who he is, and what he has achieved against major odds (Dunblane Massacre anybody?). Above all stop expecting the poor sod to be something he is not, never will be. If folks don't like him as he is and think he is so useless and such a choker, then bugger off and support somebody more to your liking. So there ( sticks tongue out in a very childish way...!!!).
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #87 on: November 02, 2012, 09:15 AM »

Reading the i paper this morning, I am more and more convinced that this was a case of Mr M taking a leaf out of Fed's book and "Chosing to lose". He doesn't want to go into the WTF even more knackered than he he already is with Fed and NJ fresh as daisies.

How can Andy be knackered? He's played less matches than the other top guys. He hardly ever plays the Davies cup. How many matches has he played since the USO? Not many.

Andy has blown a great chance to win another Masters. Well at least he'll be well rested for the WTF. A tournament that he hardly ever even plays to his ranking in. And Andy isn't a great indoor player at the best of times. With all the top guys out he had a ten times better chance of winning the Paris Masters than he has of winning the WTF that's for sure.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #88 on: November 02, 2012, 09:30 AM »

Was unable to watch the match but I'm going to share my views based on the stats. I think judging by the stats in the 3rd set Boogers has pretty much hit the nail on the head. Dreadful may be a little extreme but on this article I hold nothing against Boogers. I would of described Murray as more uninterested during the 3rd set then dreadful but for the rest of the match this report is consistent in it's approach and I respect Boogers for that.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #89 on: November 02, 2012, 10:23 AM »

I read this as "what the f***!

I always assume that's what the tournament is called. I have to be careful not to say it out loud. It's like the football manager, Neil Warnock. If I ever met him, I would call him Colin. (Ask me if you're unsure.)
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 14 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »