Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 14 Go Down Reply
Author

Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray

(Read 5112 times)
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #90 on: November 02, 2012, 10:23 AM »

I have just been checking the stats for indoor tournies.  Last year Fed was no 1 with 198-51, 16 titles, Andy was 2nd with 83-23, 8 titles. Djoko was 5th with 78-30 , 5 titles and Nadal was 11 th with 49-27 and 1 title.
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #91 on: November 02, 2012, 10:58 AM »

How can Andy be knackered? He's played less matches than the other top guys. He hardly ever plays the Davies cup. How many matches has he played since the USO? Not many.

Andy has blown a great chance to win another Masters. Well at least he'll be well rested for the WTF. A tournament that he hardly ever even plays to his ranking in. And Andy isn't a great indoor player at the best of times. With all the top guys out he had a ten times better chance of winning the Paris Masters than he has of winning the WTF that's for sure.
I agree.

IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #92 on: November 02, 2012, 11:36 AM »

I've just been looking at the O2 website and on the list of players,each one has a sentence describing his recent performances Murray's say.
    Sent packing by Jerzy Janowicz.
 That for me says it all
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #93 on: November 02, 2012, 11:37 AM »

I casnnot see where this 'is not a great idoor player' comes from.  I have put the stats in my last post.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #94 on: November 02, 2012, 11:55 AM »

I casnnot see where this 'is not a great idoor player' comes from.  I have put the stats in my last post.

But has he won a major indoor tournament? I guess there aren't too many of these around except the Paris Masters and the WTF. In both of these Id say he's been poor overall. I recall him beating a one-legged Nadal in Rotterdam a few years back and winning Valencia where he was the top seed. Doha? Fair enough but the top guys seemed to be treating that as a warm-up for the Aussie Open.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #95 on: November 02, 2012, 12:00 PM »

Trust the British to say something like that about our player.  They could have said a bit less disparaging.  I am sure they would not say this about Fed or Nadal.

I have been thinking about this match and remember when we were worried about Raonic.  Andy managed to find a way around him.  These big servers who just catch the line are usually not consistent eg. Raonic, Isner, Karlovic.  Janovic does have a bit more to his game but maybe if his serve is not working he will not feel confident to use other strokes.  I have noticed that the other big servers seem to wilt when the serve is not working.  I mayb e wrong.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #96 on: November 02, 2012, 12:04 PM »

I have notice elsewhere this is not of importance when talking about the career titles for other players.  The important indoor titles come right at the end of the year when the top eight are usually tired which is probably why they seem to wilt at these tournaments.  They have usually come through to the end of the GS and most other tournies.  The lower ranked have probably played more but have only played a couple of matches and usually only 3 sets.  This is something I have noticed over the years.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #97 on: November 02, 2012, 12:28 PM »

Janowicz is just another Rosol. Get a big win and then failing to back it up.

I certainly haven't seen Rosol do anything since beating Rafa. Same goes for Young, Bogomolov, Mahut and Chardy.

If people want to get negative should look up what's hanging on the top right corner of MW website, USO trophy and Gold medal. Support Andy to make one more big push for WTF before he deserves a break for the phenomenal summer he has delivered for his fans in 2012.
Odd. Young went from 150 to 40 in the world after that win. Bogomolov from 120 to 30. Chardy has been injured, fell outside top 100, after beating Andy has continued to climb and now finds himself top 30. Mahut has been causing the top players problems on grass for years, it's his element.

Not a single one is comparable to Rosol. Neither is Janowicz. He's already taken two top players out in straight sets prior to yesterday. He's been in great form and has shot up 150 places this year. This is no flash in the pan. This was a player playing well against a top player playing woeful. He took advantage. He's only 21, he's in the form of his life, there's no telling how high he will go, regardless of whether he loses to Tipsarevic or not. But this is no one-off.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #98 on: November 02, 2012, 12:30 PM »

I always assume that's what the tournament is called. I have to be careful not to say it out loud. It's like the football manager, Neil Warnock. If I ever met him, I would call him Colin. (Ask me if you're unsure.)
I think us Leeds fans invented Colin Wa... uh Colin. Although we rarely refer to him as that these days, funnily enough.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #99 on: November 02, 2012, 12:38 PM »

How can Andy be knackered? He's played less matches than the other top guys. He hardly ever plays the Davies cup. How many matches has he played since the USO? Not many.

Andy has blown a great chance to win another Masters. Well at least he'll be well rested for the WTF. A tournament that he hardly ever even plays to his ranking in. And Andy isn't a great indoor player at the best of times. With all the top guys out he had a ten times better chance of winning the Paris Masters than he has of winning the WTF that's for sure.
I may be wrong but thought Andy had twice got to SF of WTF, once didn't and once withdrew with injury.  Have I missed one?   And I can completely understand that he might be knackered and Masaka sets it out well in her post  Indeed smugfed was so knackered he didn't even turn up.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #100 on: November 02, 2012, 12:46 PM »

But has he won a major indoor tournament? I guess there aren't too many of these around except the Paris Masters and the WTF. In both of these Id say he's been poor overall. I recall him beating a one-legged Nadal in Rotterdam a few years back and winning Valencia where he was the top seed. Doha? Fair enough but the top guys seemed to be treating that as a warm-up for the Aussie Open.

There are no majors indoors, so no, Andy hasn't won one, but then neither has anyone else.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #101 on: November 02, 2012, 12:50 PM »

Have just found out Jersey bloke is 6'7" yes 6'7". Shouldn't be allowed. A person could break their wrist playing such a giant. shocking
In fact Andy injured something,  his wrist (?) last year in Paris. Am wondering if that was at the back of his mind.
@Big Nose.
Andy is second behind Fed for indoor matches, something like 81% to 78%, can't be bothered to check, but don't let the facts get in the way of an argument. Whistle
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #102 on: November 02, 2012, 12:52 PM »

I may be wrong but thought Andy had twice got to SF of WTF, once didn't and once withdrew with injury.  Have I missed one?   And I can completely understand that he might be knackered and Masaka sets it out well in her post  Indeed smugfed was so knackered he didn't even turn up.

Thank you - I am avoiding responding to Big Nose because he/she winds me up and I end up getting abusive. How anyone with even any basic understanding of psychology can't appreciate why he might be completely mentally washed out as a result of his deads this year, is beyond me.  Mental exhaustion also leads to physical exhaustion. I repeat personally I think Andy Murray winner of Britains first tennis singles medal in over a century, first grand slam winner in 76 years, first Wimbledon Singles finalist in 70+ years has simply had enough for this year. He might well screw up the WTF as well. Give the lad a break for God/Fred Perry/Other Diety of your choice's sake, and leave him be now. Next year is a whole new ball game. He goes into it with his first GS under his belt. Then is when we will see the difference. Such is my opinion.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #103 on: November 02, 2012, 01:05 PM »

Thank you - I am avoiding responding to Big Nose because he/she winds me up and I end up getting abusive. How anyone with even any basic understanding of psychology can't appreciate why he might be completely mentally washed out as a result of his deads this year, is beyond me.  Mental exhaustion also leads to physical exhaustion. I repeat personally I think Andy Murray winner of Britains first tennis singles medal in over a century, first grand slam winner in 76 years, first Wimbledon Singles finalist in 70+ years has simply had enough for this year. He might well screw up the WTF as well. Give the lad a break for God/Fred Perry/Other Diety of your choice's sake, and leave him be now. Next year is a whole new ball game. He goes into it with his first GS under his belt. Then is when we will see the difference. Such is my opinion.

And spot on your opinion is too, at least for me.

Anyone who doesn't see why Andy could be knackered is a fool with no understanding of Andy or, more importantly, his sport.

I would love Andy to do well next week, especially in front of his home crowd. I am convinced yesterday will have no bearing on what happens. That said, if Andy has simply given all he has to give this year that's okay as well. During the off season Andy can refocus and come back next year refreshed and ready to make his move, which he will.
IP Logged
clementine
Satellite Level

Re: Janowicz humbles dreadful Murray « Reply #104 on: November 02, 2012, 01:13 PM »

Andy just cannot stay out of the headlines, can he?  It's a big deal when he wins and, it seems, an even bigger deal when he loses.  The other top guns are allowed to 'lose' while Andy 'crashes out'.   Andy's having to adjust to life as a GS champ, the other guys are frothing at the mouth at the thought of taking him out.  He's always been a big scalp but right now he's being hunted like never before.  They all want a crack at him and their hunger is tangible.  JJ played really well, why wouldn't he?  He had everything to win and, unlike Andy,  won't be playing next week in the O2 pressure cooker.  JJ's heady mix of far-out serving and deadly dropshots will definitely give Andy (and every other player) food for thought but Andy will know that he was an instant from victory and, not for the first time since his magnificent triumph at the US Open, things didn't quite work out according to plan.

Every time the newly crowned king of New York has had matchpoints in three big matches following his historic success there is no doubt that he wants to seal victory, but the intangibles that make tennis so wonderfully fascinating all play their tiny part in those precious moments.  What may so easily appear to be carelessness on one occasion can so very easily transcend into magical Murray moments of sublime relaxed genius, pulling off impossibly languid shots against all the odds.  His forehand drive which feels good to him as his racquet connects with the ball inextricably lands in the net.  The crowd gasp and his opponent wipes his lips, his body exploding with adrenalin-pumped inspiration.  Andy's huge first serve suddenly and unexpectedly comes back, the ball painting a hair's breadth on the baseline.  His trusty double backhand misses by a centimetre or two.   Andy looks shocked and bemused while his opponent is straining at the leash having been brought back from the dead. 

Andy will work it out.  Life for him is never going to be the same after the phenomenal summer of 2012.  He is an exceptionally emotional guy who just happens to have fulfilled his lifetime dreams of Olympic Gold and a Grand Slam in the course of a few short weeks.  Incredibly overwhelming stuff, and Andy is, I believe, still in some degree of shock.  He is the most entertaining and fascinating player because he wears his heart on his sleeve, he is a very real, deeply soulful man.  His career is fascinating because what you see is a grounded, normal human-being living out a spectacular, sporting superstar lifestyle.  He just needs a little time to absorb it all before he moves on to his next amazing achievement. wub

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 14 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »