Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Friday, Time - 6:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Magical Murray rewrites history 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Go Down Reply
Author

Magical Murray rewrites history

(Read 4877 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Magical Murray rewrites history « Reply #120 on: July 18, 2013, 07:15 PM »

I love Andy.  But let's be real.  He is the only top 5 player with whose nation hosts a slam...

I think that is what I said.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Magical Murray rewrites history « Reply #121 on: July 18, 2013, 08:22 PM »

..... - that and the sheer relief of putting an end to the 77 year wait for a male Wimbledon winner.  I hope Rod Laver is eating his words because he said 2 or 3 years ago that no British male would ever win Wimbledon until the media got off his back.  I'm so proud that Andy proved him wrong!

Even when he does win more Slams he's never going to be into the theatricals that Djokovic is into.  Somehow I can't see Andy doing apeman impressions and ripping off his shirt!   
Rod Laver looked genuinely happy when Andy won. I do agree with his sentiments though Aileen, the media havent made it easy for Andy with all the criticism, scrutiny and stalking they have done over the years. Lets face it the media are partly to blame for Andy's unpoularity and previous negative image. 

I think he was trying to convey a message there. But, yes, I'm glad he was proved wrong. !! yay
IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: Magical Murray rewrites history « Reply #122 on: July 18, 2013, 08:26 PM »

I think that is what I said.
Sorry tj - I didn't pick up your nuance, but you're right.  

Yes, the only other player in the top 10 in a similar boat is Tsonga. How do you think it compares?
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Magical Murray rewrites history « Reply #123 on: July 18, 2013, 09:17 PM »

Yes, the only other player in the top 10 in a similar boat is Tsonga. How do you think it compares?
 Quite a bit, I'd say. The pressure he was under in the semis at RG after the triumph of beating Fed was immense, the crowd slipped away from him as he crumbled against Ferrer. I'm not sure how popular he is in France generally, but I felt he got a rough deal that day when he needed a boost.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Magical Murray rewrites history « Reply #124 on: July 18, 2013, 09:59 PM »

It's interesting, but McEnroe spoke about this very thing during the Wimbledon coverage. He spoke specifically about Federer, suggesting that if he'd been British he probably would not have won Wimbledon 7 times. Mac highlighted the pressure Andy has been under really well and expressed genuine admiration for how well Andy has handled it.
I'd forgotten about that, so thanks for reminding me TJ.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Magical Murray rewrites history « Reply #125 on: July 18, 2013, 11:07 PM »

I was thinking about Tsonga, who, of course, is in a similar position. I just wonder with Jo if he really believes in his heart of hearts that he can or will win RG. I have the feeling with Andy that he has never really wavered in his belief that he could win Wimbledon, even in his darkest times. I think that is one reason Andy has fought so hard. I just wonder with Jo whether winning RG is something he would even feel able to contemplate.

From what was said during RG, Jo is very popular in France, but I must say the RG crowd really angered me during that semi. Okay, Jo didn't do himself justice, especially given how brilliant he was in that quarter final. The crowd went quiet on Jo in the semi too, right when he needed their help - that's familiar to us. When Ferrer beat Jo, you would think Jo would have been applauded just for getting to the semi's, but no. They actually booed their own player. As 'panto' as RG crowds can be, I thought that was disgusting. I just thought it was uncalled for.

For me what both men show is how tough it is to get yourself over the line in your home major. In Andy's case it must have been harder still, because we'd waited for a Brit to do it for so long. That's why what Andy has done is so incredible to me. He's won his home major with all that expectation on his shoulders. As for Jo, I hope he gets another chance to try, I really do, and if he does I hope he is supported by his home crowd, just as Andy was on that  amazing day at SW19.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Magical Murray rewrites history « Reply #126 on: July 19, 2013, 02:33 AM »

^ French tennis crowds are a disgrace.  End of!

However, the last Frenchman to win RG was Yannick Noah in 1983, and he was the first to do so since Marcel Bernard in 1946, so they probably reckon it's time they had another French male winner, and I really would like to see Tsonga do it.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Magical Murray rewrites history « Reply #127 on: July 19, 2013, 11:13 AM »

Tsonga spoke about this -

Sadly I am at home in Switzerland now rather than preparing for Wimbledon’s second week but even from this far away I might have a better idea than most of what it feels like to be Andy Murray right now.

I have it in common with Andy that we both come from countries that host Grand Slams, and while there are some big advantages to that it also brings with it a special kind of pressure.

It was only a few weeks ago that I made it to the semi-finals at Roland Garros so it is quite fresh in my mind: everyone wants to talk to you, everyone is desperate for you to do well, you yourself are desperate to succeed.

These are pressures that Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic, for example, have never experienced and while it is definitely great to have the support from the home fans it can bring its challenges too.

I think Andy handles it well and other players in the locker room admire the way he copes, especially as he is the only player from his country at the really top level.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2352029/Wimbledon-2013-Jo-Wilfried-Tsonga--Andy-Murray-added-pressure.html#ixzz2ZU7B28lF
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Interesting though that the top 3 French players all live in Switzerland.

IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Magical Murray rewrites history « Reply #128 on: July 19, 2013, 11:19 AM »

^^nice words from JWT - one of the good guys I think
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Magical Murray rewrites history « Reply #129 on: July 20, 2013, 06:52 PM »

ordered the stamps, the mirror tribute and the dvd today.  Have been watching today at W in small bites and finding myself getting excited all over again.  

posted this on another thread - it's indicative of how Andy's stature has grown as a result of his Wimbledon win:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/golf/james-lawton-can-justin-rose-call-on-a-little-of-andy-murrays-magic-and-make-it-successive-majors-at-the-open-8711835.html

I'm picking out the key bits about Andy as most of it is about golf:
"Murray took on a figure who had acquired the aura of Woods as he approached the pinnacle of his success. Novak Djokovic seemed to be operating on another level, another planet, but Murray attacked him with a wonderful relish. He did more than grab a moment; he invaded it, shaped it utterly to his plan, and he did it with a conviction that provided a marvellous commentary on the steady progress that brought him to the US Open title and Olympic gold and then the ultimate prize, Wimbledon.

Murray’s achievement is a rebuke to the Luke Donalds and the Paul Caseys and the Ian Poulters who have earned their fame and their fortunes while regularly deflecting questions about the significance of not winning the supreme prize of a major title. It also throws into a harsh light the current uncertainties of Rory McIlroy, for whom Faldo has found it necessary to issue a severe career warning.

t was also the working ethic of the young Woods, the maturing Rose and, we now know so clearly, something that was deep in the bones of Murray. The Scot sought the help of the sternly demanding Ivan Lendl. He knew he needed extra assistance and that it would be best coming from somebody who knew precisely what it took to win the great titles.

The Faldo style may not commend itself so forcibly to McIlroy but the results it brought are now embedded in the history of British golf. That the old, dour champion should make his call to arms this week is certainly a telling commentary on the crisis of the young player once considered most likely to surpass the deeds of the young Tiger.

As the older version fights to win back the best of himself, McIlroy has to prove it is alarmist to believe the best of his game might already have come and gone. Rose merely has to remember how he found the richest vein of his life. In all of this the example of Andy Murray is surely worth more than a nod."

And in the Guardian 'Notes and queries' section a reader had sent in this question: 'Given his sublime combination of athleticism and skill, what other sport could AM have excelled in?  
[ Last edit by Ruthie July 20, 2013, 07:43 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Magical Murray rewrites history « Reply #130 on: July 20, 2013, 07:36 PM »

^ I remember when Rory McIlroy won his first major, coincidentally the US Open, in 2011 and people were comparing him with Andy - and now he's suffering from a marked dip in form, from which, like Andy in 2010, there are speculations as to whether it's a temporary blip or something more serious.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Magical Murray rewrites history « Reply #131 on: July 20, 2013, 09:41 PM »

^^nice words from JWT - one of the good guys I think

I am warming to JWT - I don't think he will win a GS, but if Mr M was out he would be my next choice. I don't think he is one of the arrogant brigade, and the fact that Mr M likes him is a major point in his favour.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Magical Murray rewrites history « Reply #132 on: July 20, 2013, 10:10 PM »

I am warming to JWT - I don't think he will win a GS, but if Mr M was out he would be my next choice. I don't think he is one of the arrogant brigade, and the fact that Mr M likes him is a major point in his favour.
I've always been a fan of JWT because he's so like Andy in many ways, and I admit I was fully supporting him at RG in Andy's absence.
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Magical Murray rewrites history « Reply #133 on: July 21, 2013, 05:35 AM »

I have been so overwhelmed by Andy's win, it has taken awhile to put pen to paper. A fantastic win, will power, strength, determination, gutsy, everything all Andys fans could wish for. He will now go from strenth to strength after this win. He and Lendle will have a plan for the coming months. His target will be No 1 but that will come by winning more Grand Slams and Masters. It is super that the Royal Mail have issued stamps of Andy celebrating his glorious win. I hope there will be many more to come. Fantastc achievement. Where are the other juniors following in his footsteps, certaintly not in my lifetime will there be another Andy with the dedication to train so hard determine to achieve his goals and have faith in himself.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Magical Murray rewrites history « Reply #134 on: July 21, 2013, 05:57 AM »

Good posting!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »