Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Mahut storms past Murray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Mahut storms past Murray

(Read 4672 times)
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Mahut storms past Murray « on: June 13, 2012, 05:42 PM »

This was described as a tough opening test for the Brit as he began his campaign for a third Queen’s title. Unfortunately it proved too tough as the world no.65 Nicolas Mahut powered through the match and won 6-3 6-7 7-6.

The Frenchman came out obviously more comfortable on the grass with a match already under his belt. While the opening few games went the way of the server, the intensity and dominance came from Mahut.

The 6th game of the match saw Mahut break Murray, as his flare and confidence on the surface paid off to give him the break. This was followed up with a solid hold of serve and Mahut led 5-2, which was all the breathing space he needed and he took the first set 6-3.

As the second set commenced it was obvious that Murray had to raise his game and play a more attacking style of tennis if he wanted to counteract Mahut.

The second set continued on an even keel from both players, with Murray and then Mahut breaking serve. While not a performance that made Murray fans relax, there was an array of entertaining shots from both players.

The second set eventually went to a tie-break where after a breath-taking rally Murray got his hands on 2 set points, and levelled the match at one set all.
Murray hung in, holding his own in the third set, but still unable to get a real handle on Mahut. The set progressed on serve, with both players applying pressure on the return games.

As the set neared the end the intensity picked up from both players. Murray provided some of his best service games as he strove to stay in the match.
Unsurprisingly the set went to a tie-break, More surprisingly Murray, who is usually so strong in tie-breaks went down a double break on his serve straight away. This was the chance Mahut needed and he stormed ahead to take the tie-break 7-1.

While Murray showed flashes of the tennis that makes him the world no. 4, Mahut showed tennis that would suggest a much higher ranking that no. 65.

Not the warm up for Wimbledon that Murray or his fans were wanting to see and it poses further doubts about Murray’s standard of play going into Wimbledon in a couple of weeks.

[ Last edit by Mark June 13, 2012, 05:47 PM ] IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 05:44 PM »

Awful performance and a harbinger for what I suspect will be a disappointing Wimbledon and Olympic campaign for Murray fans.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 05:47 PM »

Good report Hazel......very fair!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 05:49 PM »

Lendl, get your ass out of here.

Are you there Brad? It's me, Mark. Please come back...
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 05:50 PM »

Tactics wrong again!!!

This is now getting worrying losing to Mahut!!! FFS.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 05:51 PM »

I guess Andy 's not too impressed with the green grass of home. Sad loss and to another frenchman
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 05:53 PM »

For what it's worth, I think Andy will surprise us at Wimbledon - he loves to feel like the underdog and it just so happens he tends to perform well at Wimbledon anyway.
[ Last edit by Mark June 13, 2012, 06:00 PM ] IP Logged
Stefan Wojciechowski
Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 05:58 PM »

Again didn`t apply himself mentally which then reflects in his decision making and subsequent unforced errors. Murray is presently going backwards and this early exit seriously cuts his match practice on grass. No.1 seed out in the first match - when did that last happen anywhere else on the ATP tour?

Signs of Lendl implementing change but also signs that Murray is not believing in what is being asked of him. Looking grim......
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 05:59 PM »

For once Murray's appearance was perfect, I've never seen him look so smart,but his performance was abysmal. His days as world no4 are numbered.
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 06:06 PM »

Roll on the hard courts of the US Smile
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 06:08 PM »

For what it's worth, I think Andy will surprise us at Wimbledon - he loves to feel like the underdog and it just so happens he tends to perform well at Wimbledon anyway.

And that is the one reward for this performance.
The pressure shall be further reduced as no one in their right minds will think he has a shot at Wimbledon.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 06:16 PM »

WHAT?!?!?!?!  Is this a joke??? Face. Palm!
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 06:18 PM »

He looked the part and there it ended.
IP Logged
scottie138
Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 06:19 PM »

Awful performance and a harbinger for what I suspect will be a disappointing Wimbledon and Olympic campaign for Murray fans.

Is the back a problem or is it Lendl. He was doing much better with no coach.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 06:21 PM »

Is the back a problem or is it Lendl. He was doing much better with no coach.

Neither. It is a "head problem".
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »