Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Mahut storms past Murray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Mahut storms past Murray

(Read 4363 times)
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #120 on: June 14, 2012, 09:31 PM »

People banged on about the blue clay in Madrid, but it strikes me this is as bad, if not worse.  Players train how to slide properly on clay because it's normal for that surface.  They're not trained to slide on grass.
Exactly, it's going to get worse with all this rain and dampness, I am really glad Andy didn't go all out with so much at stake.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #121 on: June 14, 2012, 09:35 PM »

And I don't agree now is definetly his time. Ferrer is 30 and is playing the best tennis of his career. Mahut has recently said the same and he's a similar age. So I'm beginning to think Andy may not peak until 27-28. Players look after themselves so much better now than 20 years ago.
You've changed your tune a little BigNose!   Darren Cahill is on record as saying that Andy will peak between 25 and 28, and he did, after all, get off to a later start with his professional career than Djoko and Nadal.  The positive there is that Andy won't be a burnt-out wreck by his late-twenties, so we may well enjoy seeing him play until he's at least 32, which is his intention.  Meanwhile Federer has his kit already chosen for the 2016 Olympics! Whistle
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #122 on: June 14, 2012, 09:38 PM »

C'mon people. Don't start blaming the grass. Sure, there's a little less traction because it was the first couple of days but that is always the case. That crazy slide mark was a result of poor movement on Andy's part. I couldn't believe the way he was trying to play. He was literally moving like he was still on clay. Very strange!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #123 on: June 14, 2012, 09:48 PM »

C'mon people. Don't start blaming the grass. Sure, there's a little less traction because it was the first couple of days but that is always the case. That crazy slide mark was a result of poor movement on Andy's part. I couldn't believe the way he was trying to play. He was literally moving like he was still on clay. Very strange!
I don't ever recall seeing so many players slip and slide at Queens the way they have done this week.  Even although they put covers over it grass will always retain some moisture unless there's a spell of hot sun to dry it out, and that's something they haven't had.  Just hope Wimbledon fares better.

I noticed that too about Andy, and it did look odd, but maybe he felt it was the only way he could cope with playing in these conditions, but as it wasn't one of us out there then we shouldn't be too critical - although I realise you might as well try to stop the tide coming in!
IP Logged
Little Laroo

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #124 on: June 15, 2012, 09:09 AM »

Yes but you can't say the poor state of the surface wasn't a contributing factor because it was. That grass is a menace, other players have been muttering about it too and others have also struggled to play on it and had bad movement. It does seem to be retaining a lot more water than usual (which is strange because we usually get a few days of terrible weather at the beginning of the grass court season and players can usually manage). I, personally, don't think that the new groundskeeper at Queens is helping matters much (even if he is the son of the previous one). His courts seem to be a bit waterlogged and there were a few puddles that regularly gathered at the back and sides of the court throughout the first few days after it rained as I don't think it was draining properly.
[ Last edit by Little Laroo June 15, 2012, 09:16 AM ] IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #125 on: June 15, 2012, 10:38 AM »

quote author=Little Laroo link=topic=21867.msg738987#msg738987 date=1339747785]
Yes but you can't say the poor state of the surface wasn't a contributing factor because it was. That grass is a menace, other players have been muttering about it too and others have also struggled to play on it and had bad movement. It does seem to be retaining a lot more water than usual (which is strange because we usually get a few days of terrible weather at the beginning of the grass court season and players can usually manage). I, personally, don't think that the new groundskeeper at Queens is helping matters much (even if he is the son of the previous one). His courts seem to be a bit waterlogged and there were a few puddles that regularly gathered at the back and sides of the court throughout the first few days after it rained as I don't think it was draining properly.
[/quote]Interesting post. Incidentally, I was somewhat surprised to learn that the old boy network in tennis extended to the grounds staff !! Whistle[
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #126 on: June 15, 2012, 10:55 AM »

Fiverings -"Incidentally, I was somewhat surprised to learn that the old boy network in tennis extended to the grounds staff"

I found this article about Halle

Once the roof became a reality, they tackled another enhancement: to offer a perfect lawn. “By introducing a transportable lawn on pallets, we succeeded in having an innovation unique throughout the world, which is unparalleled up to today,” said Ralf Weber.

The same rye grass used in The Championships lawns is rooted in Halle, and the individual responsible for court care and playability is Phil Thorn, whose father Jim was the well-respected lawn keeper at Church Road, SW19 for years. One thing Jim didn’t have to worry about was raising grass that could withstand the rigours of indoor play. Phil has creatively accomplished the task by developing a palate system to grow the grass behind the Tennis Club Blau-Weib, the tournament’s home. Then, just before the tournament begins, the massive slabs are fork-lifted into the 12,400 seat Gerry Weber Stadium.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE-Tennis/DEUCE-Roland-Garros-Wimbledon-2012/Halle-20th-Anniversary.aspx

IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #127 on: June 15, 2012, 01:22 PM »

Late reaction, not been able to post earlier...

Our boy lost. And from all the lost matches in 2012 this one hurts most. Not because of a lost in the second round when first seeded but because the way he played. He played like frightened, frozen. No real weapon. And because of the lost, no possibility to get experience on grass.
But it's  no reason for thinking too negeative, he has been no 4 for several years. Change is the only way, in technique, in handling stress, in....And when you change things it usually it is a way from steps forward en backwards, he needs time and there's time !

Looking forward to Wimbledon. Andy is a GS player, the best of three sytem is in his benefit. Hoping the zero will turn to a one very fast (I got this picture on facebook)

* 550715_452595654751851_1905001053_n.jpg (22.84 KB, 320x240 - viewed 262 times.)
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #128 on: June 15, 2012, 02:06 PM »

And Tsonga is a doubt for Wimbledon having suffered a suspected broken finger after slipping on the grass ...

Now if that had happened to Muzza, we really would have something to whinge about.  I am slightly disappointed by the result at Queens, but at the same time, I can see that it isn't the end of the world.  It's just a continuation of the weird, weird world of Andy Murray.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #129 on: June 15, 2012, 05:28 PM »

That's Nadal out too. Should he be looking for the rope to hang himself too?

Losing early in an ATP 250 is ok as long as you bring it in slams. Novak, Rafa, Roger and Andy will do just fine come Wimby. Have too wait and see what happens to Jo as a (suspected) broken finger might derail his Wimbledon campaign.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #130 on: June 16, 2012, 11:32 AM »

I've not had a chance to read all the thread yet but thanks Hazel for what seems like a very fair match report.
I was there but had a ticket for 1 not centre court so couldn't watch the match.  I did watch part of it on the big screen but it was too depressing especially surrounded by people drinking champagne who couldn't give a toss [of which more in a moment].  Then tried to follow what was happening from the umpire which you can hear on court 1, which is offputting to say the least.  Disappointing that Andy lost.  But there was a story in yesterday's Standard that Jamie had said Andy had been advised not to play dubs at queens [as originally planned] because he's had cortisone injections and intensive physiotherapy and his doctors have advised rest.  So this could explain why he might not have appeared totally committed to the match and why his serve has gone backwards.  I hope the fact he's playing 2 exhibition matches at Boodles means he does feel it will be ok.  Btw does anyone know if boodles is televised at all?  Andy plays thursday and friday.

Two conversations I overheard at Queens epitomised the problems Andy has with the great English public.  First a couple of posh young women who were drinking in the cafe area during andy's match though they had seats for centre court.  They were supporting Mahut insofar as they were paying attention to the tennis.  One then said to the other 'well I suppose you have to give it to Murray that he has some decent shots but he's so [long pause] unappealing'.
Second conversation later: a guy on his mobile phone.  It had made his day that Andy had lost.  Then went on to say he's watched virtually no tennis as the free Rjoka was so good and after all tennis is just a ball going back and forth over the net and which would you prefer - free Rjoka or tennis; it's a not brainer.
I don't expect people to be fans of Andy just because he's British but   the glee with which the guy said it had made his day that Andy had lost was quite upsetting.  I glared at him but I don't suppose he noticed and I wasn't going to get into arguments!
Final report from Queens.  On thursday I bumped into John Inverdale coming off 1 Court so thanked him for the excellent ITV coverage of RG and said how many agree and so much better than Eurosport.  I have to say he's rather dishy in real life!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #131 on: June 16, 2012, 11:40 AM »

Sounds as though you had an interesting, if not happy day Ruthie! Just as well I wasn't with you, as I'd have been sorely tempted to kick Mr. Rioja on the shin......hard! What about John......did you get his number?  Whistle
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #132 on: June 16, 2012, 11:45 AM »

Sounds as though you had an interesting, if not happy day Ruthie! Just as well I wasn't with you, as I'd have been sorely tempted to kick Mr. Rioja on the shin......hard! What about John......did you get his number?  Whistle
Yes I wish I had done now Caz - kick his shin that is or smash his mobile. And as for John's number not quite that forward.  Embarassed
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #133 on: June 16, 2012, 03:01 PM »

I've not had a chance to read all the thread yet but thanks Hazel for what seems like a very fair match report.
I was there but had a ticket for 1 not centre court so couldn't watch the match.  I did watch part of it on the big screen but it was too depressing especially surrounded by people drinking champagne who couldn't give a toss [of which more in a moment].  Then tried to follow what was happening from the umpire which you can hear on court 1, which is offputting to say the least.  Disappointing that Andy lost.  But there was a story in yesterday's Standard that Jamie had said Andy had been advised not to play dubs at queens [as originally planned] because he's had cortisone injections and intensive physiotherapy and his doctors have advised rest.  So this could explain why he might not have appeared totally committed to the match and why his serve has gone backwards.  I hope the fact he's playing 2 exhibition matches at Boodles means he does feel it will be ok.  Btw does anyone know if boodles is televised at all?  Andy plays thursday and friday.

Two conversations I overheard at Queens epitomised the problems Andy has with the great English public.  First a couple of posh young women who were drinking in the cafe area during andy's match though they had seats for centre court.  They were supporting Mahut insofar as they were paying attention to the tennis.  One then said to the other 'well I suppose you have to give it to Murray that he has some decent shots but he's so [long pause] unappealing'.
Second conversation later: a guy on his mobile phone.  It had made his day that Andy had lost.  Then went on to say he's watched virtually no tennis as the free Rjoka was so good and after all tennis is just a ball going back and forth over the net and which would you prefer - free Rjoka or tennis; it's a not brainer.
I don't expect people to be fans of Andy just because he's British but   the glee with which the guy said it had made his day that Andy had lost was quite upsetting.  I glared at him but I don't suppose he noticed and I wasn't going to get into arguments!
Final report from Queens.  On thursday I bumped into John Inverdale coming off 1 Court so thanked him for the excellent ITV coverage of RG and said how many agree and so much better than Eurosport.  I have to say he's rather dishy in real life!
That type of  English support  disgusts me.  They aren't tennis fans   they are trolls   who live far too much up there arses.  Does one know when this set ends... does one know how to play tennis.. does one know that we are toffs.  bloody part time tennis fans.    hate them.  Oft  I have too many stories about them when I was at Wimbledon.  some funny. others not Very Happy Well there was this one time  when  I went to the toilet  then I came back  and had to wait outside CC to the change of ends  to come.. there was these  posh folk all dressed up and that..  shirt tie.. dresses    honestly  you would think they were going to a disco.. I was waiting  patiently with them.  Then all of a sudden the toffs drew daggers at me.  looking down at me  like I was some beggar or something.  I was wearing shorts and Tshirt   just like a normal person.. I was uncomfortable at this staring business .. then I went right out and said .. Have you got a problem?!!  take a picture it will last longer  lol   they just looked at me in disgust  and then we were allowed to go back into CC...  I soon realised afterwards that I had ice cream all down my top     LMAO.  w00t   Another time  this guy sitting next to me  was shouting  Cmon tim!!  I had my Scottish flag   .. it was big  so I Waved it in front of him...  I was like CMON ANDY!!! REALLY LOUD  so everyone in CC could hear me. 
IP Logged
jillypops

Re: Mahut storms past Murray « Reply #134 on: June 16, 2012, 03:27 PM »

I haven't missed the Queens Club tournament in over 30 years, but my friend and I said yesterday it's lost it's magic and I think that is due to it being such a corporate event, like Ruthie said wrong type of person there, I remember in the old days when there was a bomb alert walking over to the side of the Club with Goran and Pat Rafter.
Unfortunately Boodles is also a mainly corporate event not many tennis fan there.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »