Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Majestic Murray breezes into round three 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Majestic Murray breezes into round three

(Read 1984 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Majestic Murray breezes into round three « on: July 31, 2012, 03:39 PM »

Andy Murray brushed aside Jarkko Nieminen with a convincing 6-2, 6-4 victory after just one hour to book his place in round three of the London Olympics tennis competition.

It was a dominant serving performance from Britain’s number one who looked assured throughout, hitting six aces and 26 winners. The Finn looked nervous for the most part and perhaps still had the memory of his collapse from their last encounter in the French Open implanted firmly in his mind.

Jittery play from the Finnish number one gifted Murray the perfect start, as a double fault and a couple of loose errors saw the third seed break in the very first game.

The Brit was really looking to attack the second serve and an emphatic cross-court winner in the fifth game helped Murray to two more break points.  He sealed the break with a comfortable volley to put himself firmly in control of this contest.

Read more (149 words)
Murray faced break points in the next game, but his first serve helped him out of trouble and, just moments later, he wrapped up the first set with four consecutive big serves.

Murray was oozing confidence and broke Nieminen for a third time right at the start of the second set after a stunning rally, turning defence into attack with a big cross-court forehand, to the delight of the home support.

The world number four was now dominating this affair and was firing on both sides as he edged towards a place in the third round. After exactly one hour, Murray found himself serving for the match and he sealed victory with an ace to round off a very convincing performance.

Next up for Andy Murray is the popular Cypriot Marcus Baghdatis, who took Murray to four sets just three weeks ago in a memorable third-round encounter at Wimbledon.
[ Last edit by Mark July 31, 2012, 06:29 PM ] IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Majestic Murray breezes into round three « Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 03:43 PM »

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Majestic Murray breezes into round three « Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 03:47 PM »

And tmh breezes into his new role on the news team - nice report!  Assured is exactly the adjective I used to a friend.  It's so good to see Andy oozing confidence as you say and lapping up the crowd support.  I was struck by his recent tacit admission that he was conscious of the lacklustre support he has sometimes received in the past and how much the reaction to his wimbledon campaign meant to him.  
It really feels like that Andy is emerging from his transition period with Lendl like a beautiful butterfly from the chyrsallis.    yay yay
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Majestic Murray breezes into round three « Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 03:48 PM »

Congrats MH on your excellent debut report.clap
And not a cuss word in sight. wink
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Majestic Murray breezes into round three « Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 04:09 PM »

Well done MH - excellent report and a good win for Andy.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Majestic Murray breezes into round three « Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 04:14 PM »

Great report MH.  clap

I love how self-assured Andy seems to be at the moment. No post slam final slump for him this type, quite the opposite really, great to see.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Majestic Murray breezes into round three « Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 04:16 PM »

Well done MH - glad you had a win to report on!
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Majestic Murray breezes into round three « Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 04:20 PM »

Appropriate title for the article!!!!!!!Well done Andy and Madhatter!!!!
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Majestic Murray breezes into round three « Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 04:50 PM »

Easy breezy: Carry on Andy!!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Majestic Murray breezes into round three « Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 04:51 PM »

Excellent report, MH.

And tmh breezes into his new role on the news team - nice report!  Assured is exactly the adjective I used to a friend.  It's so good to see Andy oozing confidence as you say and lapping up the crowd support.  I was struck by his recent tacit admission that he was conscious of the lacklustre support he has sometimes received in the past and how much the reaction to his wimbledon campaign meant to him. 
It really feels like that Andy is emerging from his transition period with Lendl like a beautiful butterfly from the chyrsallis.    yay yay
Getting very poetic there, Ruthie! Smile  Wouldn't disagree with you though.  The new-look Andy is wonderful to behold and even the comms were remarking on it.  Yes I was impressed with Andy saying that about the support, adding that he understood the previous lack of it was due to the fact "that I didn't look happy on court".  Well he still doesn't look happy in the true sense of the word - what player does? - but gone is the hang-dog look and the negative body language.  Andy now looks as though he truly belongs there and is feeling comfortable with himself.

IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Majestic Murray breezes into round three « Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 04:53 PM »

Very well done Andy. You played very well and at no time were you under pressure. Looking forward to your next match.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Majestic Murray breezes into round three « Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 05:28 PM »

Never expected this one to be a problem.  Good stuff!  Smile
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: Majestic Murray breezes into round three « Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 05:35 PM »

Nice report MH. Wish I had seen this match, was in work and by the time I got the chance to check the score online it was already all over! Anyway, great result for Andy!
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Majestic Murray breezes into round three « Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 06:01 PM »

Didnt really expect this to be too much of a problem but you never know sometimes with Andy. (although not so much the new one). If he could beat him with a back spasm fully fit should have been a breeze.

And Gasquet out of the way too good day all round.
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Majestic Murray breezes into round three « Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 06:05 PM »

An excellent report of today's match and with Baghdatis being Murray's next opponent things are looking good.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »