Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray's French run continues 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's French run continues

(Read 2269 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray's French run continues « Reply #30 on: January 22, 2012, 12:13 AM »

Transcribe of press conference.

Q.  You looked like you really enjoyed yourself out there tonight?

ANDY MURRAY:  Yeah, it was good.  I mean, it was tough for a set and a half.  A tough match.  I mean, he put a lot of pressure on my serve.  He came to the net a lot.  Saved quite a few games where he had breakpoints or 30‑All games.

Once I got up a double break in the second, we played a lot of entertaining rallies, fun points.

Yeah, I played well.  So it was enjoyable.

Q.  Is it the matchup that you like?  You like the target at the net, that kind of thing?

ANDY MURRAY:  Well, like I said, it's tough 'cause he's very good at what he does.  You know, he volleys very, very well.  From the far end of the court it's tough because there's a breeze and he's coming on to you all the time.

It's tricky, but I've always played well against lefties.  I've enjoyed playing against guys that come forward, too.  So it was a good matchup for me.

Q.  Different styles of game.  Where would you say yours is at the moment?  How do you feel your game is?

ANDY MURRAY:  Well, tonight was good.  My movement was way better than the first two matches.  I moved great tonight.  That's a good sign for me 'cause when I move well, the rest of my game goes well.  That was the most pleasing thing for me about tonight.

But, yeah, I mean, I need to keep improving, do things a bit better each round.  Tonight I did a lot of things better, so I look forward to the next one.

Q.  You sort of joked tonight about Ivan and a golf course.  I know it's been a couple weeks.  Is there anything you can pinpoint already as to what he's done for your game?

ANDY MURRAY:  Obviously having someone with that experience is going to help in many different ways.  You know, he had a great mentality, the middle and the latter stage of his career.  I think that's something that will rub off on me.

You know, we've been just sort of keeping it pretty low‑key.  We haven't been practicing here on the days off.  We've been practicing off‑site, just getting our work done, you know, relaxing.  That's been it so far.

But, like I say, before the tournament, it was only five or six days we've been working together.  He'll be seeing things in my matches that, you know, I can't work on just now, so I'll do that after the tournament's done obviously.

Q.  An unexpected fourth‑round opponent.  You've already had a sight of him this year.

ANDY MURRAY:  Yeah, he was very good when I played him.  When I played him in Brisbane, the first six games he was unbelievable.  He hardly missed a ball.  He was hitting the ball huge, going pretty much down the line on every shot and cleaning lines.

I mean, to me it's not that unexpected.  I saw a little bit of the match today.  I didn't quite know what was happening with Gaël.  But, yeah, he's won a couple of long five‑setters.  He's obviously in good shape.  Yeah, when I played him in Brisbane, he was hitting the ball very well.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray's French run continues « Reply #31 on: January 22, 2012, 12:16 AM »

Llodra's press conference.

Q.  You played an exceptionally good match for a couple of sets, but came back with that scoreline.  How well does somebody have to play to take on Murray?

MICHAEL LLODRA:  Difficult, you know, because to play in the night match was much difficult for me.  It's much slower.  He play so well from the return.  The passing shot today was amazing.  I couldn't do anything.

I try my best.  The first set was close.  I have many chances three times on his serve.  I mean, he can change a lot.  Again, this kind of player, you have to be aggressive and to play, you know, at the top level.

Today was good but not enough.

Q.  Do you think it might have helped if you had head‑butted him?

MICHAEL LLODRA:  Yeah, probably can happen.

Q.  Is there a sense you took part in something special?  There were enough rallies in that game to do a highlights package on its own.  Some fantastic points.

MICHAEL LLODRA:  Yeah, it's always good when you have different styles on the court.  He is pretty good from the baseline.  He has a huge passing shot.  And me, I do serve and volley.  So usually it can happen to see some great points.  Today it happened.

Unfortunately I prefer to play badly but win the match, but it was not the case today.

Q.  Do you see any difference in him now that Lendl's influence has been around him in terms of his focus on the court that maybe he's keeping his head in the match?

MICHAEL LLODRA:  It's difficult to say, you know, just to see one match.  I know Andy pretty well.  He's still moving good.  He's still serving and get unbelievable shot from the baseline.

After, it's difficult to say if Lendl for three matches he can be helping.  For sure, he helps a lot.  But we cannot see on this match.

Q.  You play a lot of doubles.  At the Olympics there are mixed doubles.  There are not likely any women from France to qualify.

MICHAEL LLODRA:  Good question.  There is no woman actually at the moment qualify for Olympic Games.  So we'll see, you know, in couple weeks, months what's happening.  But for the moment nothing happen.

Q.  I know you tried to enter mixed doubles once with Amélie.  Would you think about trying to get her to come back for the Olympics?

MICHAEL LLODRA:  Never.  No, no, it was ideal for me to play with her last year in French Open.  But, you know, if she has to play with me, she has to do all the Anti‑Doping Program, which is too difficult.

No, I love to play with her, but it's not possible.

Q.  Jo‑Wilfried is playing without a coach possibly.  There is a possibility he could play Murray in the quarters.  Will you two speak?  Will he come to you, in other words?

MICHAEL LLODRA:  Yeah, but we don't have the same game.  I'm lefty.  He's righty.  He already beat him.  So, I mean, it's totally different.  Is going to be a quarterfinal match.

But they have to win, both of them, before first.  Anything can happen with Jo.  You know, it depends how fit is he.

But it's tough.  With Andy, if he's playing like that, it's going to be a big fight.

Q.  He's doing some damage to the French.

MICHAEL LLODRA:  Yeah, yeah.  Like always.  ****.

Q.  You know that word in English?

MICHAEL LLODRA:  Yeah (smiling).
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's French run continues « Reply #32 on: January 22, 2012, 01:20 AM »

Here's the link. You'll notice the odd aggrieved comment by someone called Nigel from Lancs:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2089789/Australian-Open-2012-Andy-Murray-destroys-Michael-Llodra.html#comments
lol  Well this Nigel person at the moment has 31 and 28 greens respectively.  Top green so far is Joseph, London, with 70.  I'm off to get in my tuppence worth!  Don't know if it'll appear though as it's been submitted so late, but never mind, I enjoyed doing it.

Bev - Thanks for the transcripts.  They make enjoyable reading. Smile

[ Last edit by Aileen January 22, 2012, 02:23 AM ] IP Logged
jay

Re: Murray's French run continues « Reply #33 on: January 22, 2012, 03:37 PM »

Great to watch you playing so well again.l.
Good luck for next match v.Kukushkin. JAY.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's French run continues « Reply #34 on: January 22, 2012, 05:44 PM »

The comments sections, particularly in the Mail, are much more supportive of Andy than they've ever been. Only a couple of 'anyone but England' comments today and lots of green arrows against the positive remarks.

Isn't that really refreshing to see?

yay
IP Logged
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: Murray's French run continues « Reply #35 on: January 23, 2012, 12:13 AM »

What often puzzles me more, isn't the little englander type that despises Andy because some jock is superior to anything they have churned out in generations, but actually the Scots that do not like him.  If I mention Andy to my friends, or family, it is a pretty mixed reaction to be honest.

However, I do agree, many of the comments sections have been a lot more positive from what I have gleaned.  In terms of global image and appeal our guy is way behind the other three, but when he starts winning slams this will all change, and it should help his reputation back home also.

We also have to be honest and say that Andy does not always help himself in terms of image.  I think once he wins that first slam he will relax and mature so much as a tennis player, and that might mean a few more smiles now and again.  He should never give in to the doubters, but a bit more positivity at times might help his tennis, and how he is perceived.  There is an element of truth in the frequently cited caricature of Andy as the dour scot, often badly shaven, with a dodgy haircut, who throws tantrums on court, and rarely smiles when doing interviews, or even when he wins tournaments.

We all know better of course.  Slam success is everything to Andy, to us, and to how he will be remembered.  For those Andy-haters they better get used to the fact that every english/british tennis player for the next forty or so years is going to be compared to Andy, and given our tennis history, hardly any are even going to come close to his achievements. 

The match today will be easy.  It is getting exciting now.  And I am very confident BOTH Fed and Nadal will lose tomorrow.

Nole alas won't have a hard match until he plays Andy.  It could be a painful watch for those with night session tickets today for Rod Laver.

IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray's French run continues « Reply #36 on: January 23, 2012, 12:51 AM »

Good posting!

I hope you're right about Fedal too, I felt as much but that was before the draw, feeling it again a bit however.
The British will eventually warm to Murray once he starts delivering the success hes promised for while now.
And the ones that don't, fine that's life. We won't want them anyway.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's French run continues « Reply #37 on: January 23, 2012, 12:58 AM »

What often puzzles me more, isn't the little englander type that despises Andy because some jock is superior to anything they have churned out in generations, but actually the Scots that do not like him.  If I mention Andy to my friends, or family, it is a pretty mixed reaction to be honest.
Same here, and the reason I get is that either they just don't like him (the usual - dour, sulky) or that they feel that his on-court behaviour is letting Scotland down.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray's French run continues « Reply #38 on: January 23, 2012, 01:23 AM »

I saw an interview on sky with some woman who was waiting to go to the WTF for the Fed Murray match last year. She was a big Federer fan, the problem was she was Scottish, very Scottish.
That was embarrassing, I thought the Scots were very patriotic.
Still she didn't sound too bright  Whistle
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray's French run continues « Reply #39 on: January 23, 2012, 03:53 PM »

Andy does have a dry sense of humour, but I do not think he is dour as we often hear from commentators .
He is becoming more open when interviewed an is smiling a lot more. I can understand why previously he sounded guarded because much of what he said was taken in the wrong manner. If you feel people are hostile to you you do tend to be on your guard.  Many people will still not like him but that is there problem, you cannot please everyone. And yes the majority of Scots are patriotic.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »