Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray's doubles woe 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's doubles woe

(Read 1090 times)
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Murray's doubles woe « on: July 28, 2012, 07:24 PM »

The Murray brothers Olympic campaign got off to a bad start as they lost their opening round match. The pair were defeated 5-7 7-6 (8-6) 7-5 by Melzer and Peya.

Jamie Murray was the weak link throughout, struggling to hold serve and posing little threat on return.

In sharp contrast to his brothers substandard performance, there were encouraging signs for Andy ahead of his first round singles match tomorrow.
[ Last edit by Mark July 28, 2012, 08:56 PM ] IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray's doubles woe « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 07:29 PM »

I agree Boogers - I don't usually I know - but Jamie definitely looked out of his depth today. Andy played well but he couldn't win it on his own!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's doubles woe « Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 07:35 PM »

Jamie never looked confident to me.  Andy did turn in a good performance but will be hugely disappointed because he wanted to do well with Jamie, so hope it doesn't affect him tomorrow.  At least he's had a good work-out to sharpen him up, so fingers crossed.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's doubles woe « Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 07:38 PM »

Ditto ie I agree and don't usually! 
Andy took a while to get into his serve but then came up with big ones just when they needed them. And he was great at the net most of the time.  I hope this gives him the confidence to come to the net more and use his wonderful hand skills there.
But can't help but feel sorry for Jamie as he will know only too well that he was the weaker link and however much Andy encouraged him he couldn't rise to his level and the Austrians took advantage of that.  Perhaps Jamie will get a wild card for the mixed dubs and do better there leaving Andy to focus on the singles, which ultimately is what really matters although I know he really really wanted to get a medal with his brother.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's doubles woe « Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 08:19 PM »

Awww, too bad. Andy needs to focus fully on singles now!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's doubles woe « Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 08:29 PM »

Hi All,

What a disappointment. I feel sorry for Jamie, I really do. I don't know about any of you, but I could almost sense the apprehension coming off him every time he stepped up to serve. It made me nervous just watching him. I was proud of Andy for being so supportive of Jamie though, praising him when it went well, supporting him when it wasn't so good. They must both be so disappointed.

I'd like to see Jamie in the mixed now, but I hope Andy focuses everything on the singles. I was so impressed with him today. He looked positive and served really well. If he could carry that through to the singles it would be fantastic. It might sound terrible, but in a way Andy probably needs to be a little selfish now, if that is the right word. He will be disappointed, I'm sure of that, but he still has the singles to play, where he has a chance of doing so well. He needs to focus on that now, and I'm sure he will.

Weren't the crowd brilliant through the match? It was like watching Davis Cup! Love it! Can't wait to hear them for Andy tomorrow!
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray's doubles woe « Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 08:46 PM »

Andy played amazing!!!  Smile  I don't understand Jamie's logic with his serving and return.  When he serves  he doesn't hit it fast enough and more importantly he never goes for the corners often enough.  His serve is too weak.  Its just like "hit me and smother me"   His return.  he just lobs it giving the player at the net an advantage.  SMASH.  It was awful tbh. Seriously I felt like I could hit the ball faster than Jamie.  I hit like 10 aces this morning  I know that's a whole different kettle of fish  but cmon.  ugh Gutted isn't even the word to describe me at the moment.  Andy served brilliantly.  Bodes well for tomorrow.  Bring on Stan!!
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Murray's doubles woe « Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 09:21 PM »

Shame for Andy and Jamie,but Andy played really well so sould not feel bad about losing.The match could have gone either way,shame Jamies serve let him down when he needed it most.Onwards and upwards for Andy now he only has the singles to concentrate on.If he'd been playing bad it might have made the match tomorrow tougher,but because he played so well im expecting a good match and a straight sets WIN.Hope im right,oh just had a money spider run right down my arm,how weird didnt kill it,made a wish,hope Andy wins tomorrow and goes on to win GOLD.GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS AS ALWAYS ANDY
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's doubles woe « Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 09:54 PM »

[email protected] yes it was great to hear the crowd and on bbc website Andy is quoted as being very appreciative of them.  Henman said he can't remember such crowd support for a 1st round dubs match.  Do hope Andy gets similar support tomorrow - I'm sure he will though of course those Swiss fans do travel.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray's doubles woe « Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 09:56 PM »

Been out since noon and and then went for a meal, was looking at my watch and new that the boys were playing, and so wishing them well. Got home around 9pm, checked the teletext and was gutted that they got beat, but after reading the above comments, good to read that Andy was playing well, but as someone said he could not win on his own.
Then again new both the boys had to play well as Melzer/peya are high ranking doubles players. Smile C'Mon Andy, sending positive vibes your way, please pick up!!!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray's doubles woe « Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 10:37 PM »

I don't know but I just get the feeling that Jamie is always much more nervous when he's playing with Andy.  I think he feels the pressure of playing with a sibling who is better than he is and is in constant fear of letting Andy down.  Whereas Andy wants so much to win for Jamie - difficult one.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Murray's doubles woe « Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 11:26 PM »

I don't know but I just get the feeling that Jamie is always much more nervous when he's playing with Andy.  I think he feels the pressure of playing with a sibling who is better than he is and is in constant fear of letting Andy down.  Whereas Andy wants so much to win for Jamie - difficult one.

I think you are exactly right Alis.    They try so hard  for each other and we certainly won't hear Andy blaming his partner for the loss.    Once again when I watched

Andy I was thinking what a fine young man he is.    A true sportsman.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's doubles woe « Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 12:14 AM »

I don't know but I just get the feeling that Jamie is always much more nervous when he's playing with Andy.  I think he feels the pressure of playing with a sibling who is better than he is and is in constant fear of letting Andy down.  Whereas Andy wants so much to win for Jamie - difficult one.
Good point Alis.  Jamie can play a great deal better than he did today, and I admit he made me feel nervous.  I can't believe it helped knowing that, in some ways, the pressure was on him because Andy wanted so much for them to do well.  Maybe the occasion got to him too.  Andy is used to handling pressure at a top level, Jamie isn't.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray's doubles woe « Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 12:39 AM »

"It was tough. We played well," said Andy Murray. "We were a break up twice in the third set. We had enough chances to win the match, but each time we got the break we got broken straight back, so it was tough."

Asked about the raucous crowd, he added: "They did a great job. They were really loud from the first point to the last.

"They helped a lot. You don't always get that for doubles matches and it was a really nice atmosphere to play in. I hope they enjoyed the match."

The world number four must now turn his attention to the singles and an opening match against Switzerland's Stanislas Wawrinka on Centre Court on Sunday.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray's doubles woe « Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 08:56 AM »

Morning, all. Off to Wimbledon for today's Olympics tennis. Sadly only on Court 1, where it's scheduled to rain during the day. Therefore, most unlikely that we (the boss and me) will have the delight of watching Andy. However, will try and purchase tickets for CC, but probably impossible.

Gutted for Andy and Jamie yesterday. JM was extremely nervous, but AM never rebuked him. Such a sportsman and loving brother! Dids record the matcfh, but have yet to watch it all. Will do later.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »