Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray's poker face fools Giraldo 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's poker face fools Giraldo

(Read 2567 times)
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Murray's poker face fools Giraldo « on: June 02, 2012, 03:42 PM »

Andy Murray's tumultuous Roland Garros campaign continued with a pleasingly drama free 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 victory over Santiago Giraldo. The Scot advances to the last 16 for the fourth year in a row, where he will meet the winner of Gasquet v Haas.

After the theatrics of the last two days, where Murray was struck down with crippling back spasms prior to his second round match, player and fans alike will be delighted with an energetic performance against a potentially tricky opponent.

Giraldo and Murray met in Barcelona earlier this year, where Giraldo was brushed aside for the loss of only three games. The Comonbian put up a much better fight this time round but was ultimately outclassed in all aspects of the game.

For the first set and half Murray played with the freedom of a player unburdened by expectations. Pinpoint first serves and aggressive ground-strokes kept Giraldo penned to the back of the court. Murray, by contrast, was playing most of his tennis a good meter inside the baseline.

It wasn't until the serving for the second set that "passive" Murray returned. Some tentative ground strokes opened the door for Giraldo, but the Colombian failed to convert and Murray surged into a two set lead.

Giraldo probably sensed that the situation was hopeless, but much credit can be given the Colombian for the way he responded. Instead of surrendering, he red-lined his game, peppering the lines with a barrage of outrageous winners. Murray reverted to type, counter-punching his way out of trouble and waiting for Giraldo's spark to extinguish itself.

By 3-3 the Colombians resistance was spluttering and Murray applied the coup de grĂ¢ce.
[ Last edit by boogers June 02, 2012, 04:26 PM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray's poker face fools Giraldo « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 03:46 PM »

Phil, I'm happy for you as you get to write a report on a winning match Very Happy
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray's poker face fools Giraldo « Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 03:52 PM »

can I get a little credit here  .. I did say that Andy make the 2nd week  if you read my post somewhere in some thread  at the start of RG.  Very Happy  GOOOOOOOOOOOOO ANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Excellent win Smile
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray's poker face fools Giraldo « Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 03:58 PM »

You can have a chocolate fish Very Happy
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray's poker face fools Giraldo « Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 03:59 PM »

That's my kind of match clap clap clap
Andy looked damn good  yay yay yay
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray's poker face fools Giraldo « Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 04:05 PM »

Very well done Andy you won well hope only minimal aches and pains. Onward to next week don't practice too hard.

Good commentary on ITV fair and not like those creeps on Eurosport. Well done Andy forward to next week. hug hug hug
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray's poker face fools Giraldo « Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 04:13 PM »

HURRAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew he could do it...... it was an osm match to watch, Andy was in full form..hope he continues this form... and I know he will Very Happy:D:D:D:D
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray's poker face fools Giraldo « Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 04:15 PM »

You can have a chocolate fish Very Happy

Very Happy  I'm hungry   anyway  haha
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Murray's poker face fools Giraldo « Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 04:20 PM »

Andy performed superbly, no drama an excellent performance. Now he will have to wait to see who his next opponent is. At the moment it looks likeit could be Gasquet. he  should vome out with all guns firing. Good Lck |andy well plyed. Wish you could always play like that.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray's poker face fools Giraldo « Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 04:21 PM »

Thought it was a very good match and really enjoyed the Comms on ITV. Looking forward to hearing what Andy has to say when he comes to the ITV studio, sure he'll refuse to meet up with Eurosport.
Thought Petchey was very good today and Jim Courier when they said it was obvious that Andy was in pain with the back spasm and how they couldn't believe that anyone could say otherwise.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's poker face fools Giraldo « Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 04:54 PM »

Who would have thunk it after Thursday.  Great to see Andy playing so well and calmly and some brilliant stats for the match.  Tbh I didn't think he'd make the 2nd week with this back problem and couldn't totally relax until it was over just in case it went again suddenly and we had a reverse of thursday.  You can see what a sunny optimist I am!
Great commentary from Courier who clearly respects Andy and appreciates his talent.  Said he'd love to have had Andy's bh, which he thinks the best in the game joint with Nole's.  Courier abit worried about how the back was looking at the v end but I've decided perhaps he's a bit of a worrier.  Perhaps not surprising if Andy was feeling something at the point it looked like it was just about over.  The relief on Andy's face when he won.....It's days like these when we can sit back and simply enjoy being a fan of such a wonderful player.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray's poker face fools Giraldo « Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 04:58 PM »

Andy will be in the ITV studio any minute.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray's poker face fools Giraldo « Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 05:12 PM »

After the drama of Thursday I wasn't too sorry I had to miss this match. But what great news to come back to. Thanks for the report.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray's poker face fools Giraldo « Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 05:33 PM »

Andy will be in the ITV studio any minute.
On now. ITV4
IP Logged
mumbler

Re: Murray's poker face fools Giraldo « Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 05:49 PM »

Great match followed by good interview with Andy. Seemed very relaxed and made his point well re the whole 'drama queen' carry on.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »