Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday, Time - TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray 'pro-active' in hunt for coach 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray 'pro-active' in hunt for coach

(Read 2448 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray 'pro-active' in hunt for coach « Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 02:36 PM »

Who to trust, MW or Daily Fail? Very Happy
Well if you put it like that Mark.........
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray 'pro-active' in hunt for coach « Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 02:41 PM »

I wouldn't want Stefanki anywhere near Andy after insulting him after losing to Roddick in Wimbledon semi final. Larry has certainly done Roddick's career a lot of good since.

Exactly, I think Andy asked him a long time ago, or maybe I'm getting confused with someone else, and he turned him down. Roddick has gotten worse since joining Stefanki so we definitely would not want to touch him with a barge pole.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray 'pro-active' in hunt for coach « Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 02:50 PM »

I agree ChrisMac, not Stefanki please! Also, as Andy has just had his best Slam year ever, I'm not now nearly as concerned as I was about him appointing anyone soon. Last I heard he was hoping to work with Cahill as much as Cahill's schedule allowed.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray 'pro-active' in hunt for coach « Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 03:01 PM »

I agree ChrisMac, not Stefanki please! Also, as Andy has just had his best Slam year ever, I'm not now nearly as concerned as I was about him appointing anyone soon. Last I heard he was hoping to work with Cahill as much as Cahill's schedule allowed.
I agree bbh.  Cahill seems to be a great guy to work with him and it does seem like it can work on a PT basis.  So if it ain't broke right now.....?  That said if the ideal person became available then obviously he should go for it.  But doesn't sound like Stefanki is that person by a mile.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray 'pro-active' in hunt for coach « Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 03:06 PM »

I'm with you two girls on this!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray 'pro-active' in hunt for coach « Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 03:26 PM »

Yep!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray 'pro-active' in hunt for coach « Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 03:27 PM »

Hey!  Exclusives for MW! yay

I agree bbh.  Cahill seems to be a great guy to work with him and it does seem like it can work on a PT basis.  So if it ain't broke right now.....?
Sorry guys, but yawn we've been hearing the same words from Andy for about 18 months now, and what was said in the DM came from the man himself about the current set up -

‘It is difficult but we’ll find a way that works,’ Murray confirms. ‘I wanted someone who understands me, and my game — not just anybody, a big name for the sake of it.’

I agree that if this arrangement can continue to help Andy - and it very obviously has done - then why rock the boat!  Andy obviously likes and trusts Cahill, and it can take a long time for players and coaches to get in tune, or not, with each other.  No point in Andy unsettling himself just when things seem to be really starting to go his way.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray 'pro-active' in hunt for coach « Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 04:17 PM »

Aileen I totally agree with you re Andy and Darren Cahill. I'm sure he would love to have Killer full time.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray 'pro-active' in hunt for coach « Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 04:35 PM »

That would be just great wouldn't it - can't see it happening though.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray 'pro-active' in hunt for coach « Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 05:38 PM »

That would be just great wouldn't it - can't see it happening though.
No I don't think FT is possible so the question is just how much of his time could he get and at the right times?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray 'pro-active' in hunt for coach « Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 09:33 PM »

Interesting as the message I took from that long Mail interview was that he was happy with the status quo and would be calling on Cahill to help in run-up to GSs.  
Having sat down and read Andy's comments more carefully, there seems to be a contradiction here.  Yes, in the Mail he gave the impression he was happy with the status quo - but here he's saying:

“I’m definitely pro-active but I want to find the right person to do it. You can’t bring someone in, for example, for just the grand slams.

“I’m not going to get someone who only wants to do it for 10 weeks when I need them for 25 weeks,” he said. “That would be a complete waste of time and you’d get nothing done.

Now - Cahill, and Sven Groeneveld, were only on hand for the Slams (except the AO), and they have had a beneficial effect on Andy, so this exercise wasn't exactly a waste of time - but it suggests that Andy is NOT happy with the present arrangement, so what's really going on behind the scenes?  Cahill categorically ruled himself out months ago, but a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then, although as he has a family and other commitments I can't see him wanting to travel 25 weeks of the year, but ... Shrug

However, the main difference between this interview and the DM one, is the use of the words  "definitely pro-active", which suggests that there is some sort of work in progress, whether with Cahill or with other coaches.

IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray 'pro-active' in hunt for coach « Reply #26 on: November 18, 2011, 09:56 PM »

I was the one that asked this particular question and if it's of any help with the contradiction issue, I said: "In regards to your coaching situation, are you still looking for a full time coach or are you satisified with your current setup?"

Andy answered by explaining how he is wanting a full coach but was not rushing because he wants to make sure he got the right fit... at which point I interjected and said, "But are you simply looking over offers or actually pro-actively searching?"

He then, very enthusiastically, said he was indeed searching. That certainly sounds to me like he is not happy with the status quo.
[ Last edit by Mark November 18, 2011, 10:13 PM ] IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray 'pro-active' in hunt for coach « Reply #27 on: November 18, 2011, 10:03 PM »

Having sat down and read Andy's comments more carefully, there seems to be a contradiction here.  Yes, in the Mail he gave the impression he was happy with the status quo - but here he's saying:

“I’m definitely pro-active but I want to find the right person to do it. You can’t bring someone in, for example, for just the grand slams.

“I’m not going to get someone who only wants to do it for 10 weeks when I need them for 25 weeks,” he said. “That would be a complete waste of time and you’d get nothing done.

Now - Cahill, and Sven Groeneveld, were only on hand for the Slams (except the AO), and they have had a beneficial effect on Andy, so this exercise wasn't exactly a waste of time - but it suggests that Andy is NOT happy with the present arrangement, so what's really going on behind the scenes?  Cahill categorically ruled himself out months ago, but a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then, although as he has a family and other commitments I can't see him wanting to travel 25 weeks of the year, but ... Shrug

However, the main difference between this interview and the DM one, is the use of the words  "definitely pro-active", which suggests that there is some sort of work in progress, whether with Cahill or with other coaches.

I think Cahill has been involved at times other than before the majors - Andy and he worked for several weeks before the Rogers Cup for example and again after the US Open, before the Asian swing - with obvious benefits.
IP Logged
allyh84
ATP Level

Britain's number 3

Re: Murray 'pro-active' in hunt for coach « Reply #28 on: November 18, 2011, 10:39 PM »

I was the one that asked this particular question and if it's of any help with the contradiction issue, I said: "In regards to your coaching situation, are you still looking for a full time coach or are you satisified with your current setup?"

Andy answered by explaining how he is wanting a full coach but was not rushing because he wants to make sure he got the right fit... at which point I interjected and said, "But are you simply looking over offers or actually pro-actively searching?"

He then, very enthusiastically, said he was indeed searching. That certainly sounds to me like he is not happy with the status quo.

He did look quite adamant tbh, in the recording he is basically saying yeah I am looking before you've finished the question. Thought all of us sounded very professional actually.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray 'pro-active' in hunt for coach « Reply #29 on: November 19, 2011, 12:07 AM »

I think Cahill has been involved at times other than before the majors - Andy and he worked for several weeks before the Rogers Cup for example and again after the US Open, before the Asian swing - with obvious benefits.
Thanks for the reminder.  However, I understood that Groeneveld was working with Andy on a lot of these occasions because of Cahill's commentating commitments.

Thanks Mark.  That does clarify matters. Smile

He did look quite adamant tbh, in the recording he is basically saying yeah I am looking before you've finished the question. Thought all of us sounded very professional actually.
Perhaps I'm being too inquisitive, but I'm quite intrigued by this.  Who exactly were "all of us"?  How long did the interviews take?  Was Andy on his own or did he have any of his team/management company with him?

Anyway well done to all concerned for getting these exclusives.  It's great to hear something from Andy speaking directly to representatives of MW as opposed to the interviews he does with the media.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »