Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray advances despite Harrison challenge 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray advances despite Harrison challenge

(Read 2623 times)
clementine
Satellite Level

Re: Murray advances despite Harrison challenge « Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 05:57 PM »

Bravo Andy!  He played great in searing heat against a guy who really fancied his chances and had nothing to lose.  Andy's class shone through and he put Harrison well and truly in his place.  I agree that Frew McMillan was a breath of fresh air with his commentary.  So many times Chris Bradnam went out on a limb to praise the young American while dismissing Andy's excellent play.  It took Frew, a South African, to tell it as it really was.  The first two sets on the HD channel were presided over by Simon Reed and Jo Durie, both of whom were beside themselves in their enthusiastic glee every time Harrison did anything right.  An example of their ridiculous bias towards him was when Andy played a deliciously elegant volley, only for Reed to pipe up with 'He lost the point but he's won even more admirers'. 

Andy, once again, is the last Briton standing, so why don't the Brit comms give him a break just for once?  Their negativity beggars belief and they relish every opportunity to pounce on his every error, his demeanour, what he's saying, what he's thinking, what he's wearing, etc.  There is so much to celebrate about Andy and all they can do is chunter away about all the things they don't like about him, choosing to drool over his opponents' play instead.  Fair enough, Harrison played well, he had to to take a set off Andy, but that's where it ends.  The comms need to give credit where it is due and that means British comms showing respect and appreciation for Andy's great play.  Some of them sound blatantly disappointed when Andy wins a point, such is their generosity towards the other player.   
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Murray advances despite Harrison challenge « Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 06:02 PM »

Do not worry, we may Have a surprise. With lendl on board I think Murray will do will. Lets take each section as it it comes.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray advances despite Harrison challenge « Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 06:07 PM »

You just have to try and let it go over your head clementine, I know it's very hard, as I get so angry, aggressive, language comes spewing out of me, but in the last month I'm just trying so hard to ignore it, and put it down to jealousy and ignorance. I wonder if the media is giving James Ward any grief of being knocked out in the first round. James is 24 also and Britain's No. 2 for goodness sake, slate him for a change!
IP Logged
clementine
Satellite Level

Re: Murray advances despite Harrison challenge « Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 06:16 PM »

Do not worry, we may Have a surprise. With lendl on board I think Murray will do will. Lets take each section as it it comes.

I'm not worried.  Just livid.  I like fair play and Andy, with or without Lendl, deserves to be respected and appreciated. 
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Murray advances despite Harrison challenge « Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 06:29 PM »

I quite agree. With Lendl on board life we will be different. He stands no nonsense and is so respective within the tennis World. So should Andy be he is the best palyer that the uk has produced for years. It is about time that he has respect and appreciated like you have mentioned
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray advances despite Harrison challenge « Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 06:35 PM »

I'm not worried.  Just livid.  I like fair play and Andy, with or without Lendl, deserves to be respected and appreciated. 

I agree with you totally Clementine - it makes my blood boil!  I was ranting so much at the television that my husband came in and turned the commentary off for the sake of his sanity and mine! Chris Bradman is an idiot but Reed and Durie should know better - they just don't deserve Andy.  Thank heavens for Frew MacMillan and occasionally Fleming and Petch who at least appreciate how talented Andy is.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray advances despite Harrison challenge « Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 07:22 PM »

Please can we stop with the last Brit standing we have 6 guys in the doubles non of whom had to qualify. I know people dont see doubles as "proper" tennis but tennis it is and Colin, Ken, Ross, Johnny, Jamie and Jamie Dalgado should not be disrespected in this way. I expect it from the press but not a tennis forum.

Rant over.

That said. Go Andy it took you a while to suss him out but then you showed him how it should be done!
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray advances despite Harrison challenge « Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 07:32 PM »

We should remember the doubles players as we have some good doubles players, but can understand people's anger at the way that Andy is constantly put down.  I think they need to take a look at what tennis would be like without Andy no home interest in any of the tournaments (men's singles) and the British DC team languishing in the bottom tier of the competition.  The only comm that I find remotely fair and objective is Peter Fleming and he's American!!!
Today was tough for Andy but after he got a foot hold it was fine, Harrison was a tough first round opponent but Andy got the job done.  Some recognition of that fact would have been good from the British media but it is surely what we have come to know and expect.  Come on Andy onwards and upwards!!!!
IP Logged
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: Murray advances despite Harrison challenge « Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 07:37 PM »

We have to remember some of these commentators don't like Andy, simple.  If Fed dropped a set and then strolled through the rest, nothing would be said.

There is no story here really.  It was an easy peasy win against a guy that put up a fight before fading away.  I would rather Andy came through that than strolling through the opening week without being tested.   Being put in awkward places is good.

Andy is a slow-burner in tournaments, we have seen this in so many masters tournaments that he has won that I pay little attention to it.

The first week is just a process for these guys.  Well done Andy, will be nice to see improvement in the next round!
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray advances despite Harrison challenge « Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 07:39 PM »

Completely agree with all that Murray Magic. I am sitting watching the match and I am getting very angry with the comms and we are only 3 games into the second set. They are down on Andy saying he looks hot etc and not moving well. Yes he is hot, it IS hot i think he is playing intelligently and conserving energy where he can as he now knows he has to play 4 sets.

I too like Peter Fleming as he always gives credit where it is due especially where Andy is concerned.
IP Logged
mcenroeforever
Satellite Level

Re: Murray advances despite Harrison challenge « Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 07:59 PM »

Really pleased with how Andy came through a tough test, the really good news is that there's plenty of room for improvement and I'm sure that as the tournament progresses Andy will hit top form. Not sure Andy's popularity in France will be too high if he wins his next 4 games (providing they all make it through)!..Monfils looked great against Rafa and could be more dangerous than usual so it would be nice if he tumbled out in the next couple of rounds..

And I agree re Peter Fleming, the God of all comms!..I always feel that Mark Petchey is in our Andy's corner too, other than that they are all a frustrating lot on UK television.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray advances despite Harrison challenge « Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 08:00 PM »

I know I am coming in late on this but I am now begginning to see what you all mean about the comms on this game. I keep telling them to shut up. Wish we could get Tennis coverage without the commentary!! Please tell me Eurosport are not covering the French.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray advances despite Harrison challenge « Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 08:31 PM »

Unfortunately, the BBC commies are even worse with Bouncy Castle and Lloyd -  I know it's just jealousy on their part but it still drives me nuts.
IP Logged
Adrian
Re: Murray advances despite Harrison challenge « Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 08:35 PM »

Well done Andy ! Would have been good to have won in 3 sets, in order to conserve energy. However a good result, considering the extreme temperatures and Andy playing someone who in the first set played extremely well.
Onwards and upwards for Andy.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray advances despite Harrison challenge « Reply #29 on: January 17, 2012, 09:14 PM »

I cannot believe it, but I fell asleep in the 4th set at 2-1! zz  My hubby came to find me at 3:00am and woke me up... time-difference is a killer.
So.. I didn't know the outcome until this morning, and luckily I was able to watch it on my PVR.
I was on the Murray Coaster along with everyone else.  Credit to Ryan Harrison, but I didn't really believe he was going to pull it off.
As stressful as it was to watch, I actually prefer to see Andy challenged now and then go on the slow-burn.. building to a bonfire!
He was the only one of the 'Big 4' who had a worthy challenger across the net.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »